Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA/US merger is official, impact on DL

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Doesn't change much to me. AA is a good carrier, adding a bad carrier won't do much for me.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by DCAproducer
I'd love to see DL be able to regain some of the slots they lost to US.
However, I see SW and B6 trying to get some of those slots as well.

I'ld love to DL really compete better in the Washington market. All we really get is flights to inside perimeter hubs, with a single flight to LAX on AS and 2 flts daily to SLC.

As for impact on DL, I think DL has something to gain in the NYC market as some AA/US people look at possibly switching. United has the leg up at ORD.
PHX will eventually get the shaft and I think CLT to a certain extent. ATL remains the powerhouse in the southeast.
At JFK, B6 is the best rated carrier, followed by DL, then the combined AA/US would be the worst of the 3 airlines with lots of flights at JFK based on customer service standards of the past.

AA and US pretty much just add marketshare and pile on more customers to the existing networks.

DOJ will likely force divestiture of repetitive slots to other airlines so if anything the merger actually will wind up giving slots to other carriers actually increasing competition on existing routes. But just making the marketshare larger so there is more profit for the firm as a whole, all the while reducing expense and overhead costs due to integration.

For consumers it will mean a better experience with better equipment utilization, better routing to more destinations and more convenience.

Fees go up with mergers but they shouldn't because revenues go up after mergers with lower overhead expenses, so customers should be getting savings due to cost efficiencies even after firms profit. But after mergers, firms get even greedier and so fares do wind up getting raised on average.

But mergers themselves are not anti competitive when slots are divested, since airlines before a merger often have codeshared agreements with other carriers, then it changes to native ownership.

Both AA and DL have been competing aggressively. DL has been a good airline for awhile now as a large legacy airline. AA only in recent times has been improving and the end of bankruptcy will make the airline so much better which will keep both firms on its toes to innovate with new services and improving the network for passengers rather than the old days of airlines leading on cut throat pricing.

The worlds aviation system will be in quite good shape for travelers and make movement by airplane the best most convenient method of transportation.

After the future merger and as a flyer, flying on either DL, B6 or AA will all be good or any other of the worlds airlines.

Flyers are on different airlines for different reasons. You can even make your own routings using multiple airlines of your choice to get somewhere. The possibilities are endless. These mergers don't get rid of competition, they just strengthen existing competition and make the system better.

AA's Pilots know this already.

AA, DL and B6 have room for profit and coexistence. I can't say any other airline experience between the three was better than another for the most part.

DL so far has been the best large scale carrier although at a premium cost.

Lets say I would fly from JFK to LHR, choices are:

DL/Virgin America
AA/British Airways
Aer Lingus Connection flight (from B6 terminal soon, low cost carrier)

Kuwait Airlines also does direct but I somehow doubt it would see a lot of JFK to LHR customers.

Or other airlines with connection flights but generally not cost competitive unless you need to get to the other nation first.

In each market a LCC (Low cost carrier) sometimes requiring a quick connection likely exists. So the merger does not impede competition.

I call airline mergers necessary housekeeping. Makes industry healthier.

DL keeps making moves as does AA and B6 and all three are going along nicely.

Last edited by adamj023; Feb 14, 2013 at 12:33 pm
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:26 am

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
Originally Posted by Delta 764
Just as a little side question, if Doug Parker decides on getting rid of IFE on domestic flights, could DL respond by installing AVOD onto more domestic aircraft? That way they can win some AA customers who like having IFE.
Irrelevant to what US/Parker decide, DL will continue to install more AVOD on all remaining AC now that it's clear they see this as an additional source of revenue.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:28 am
Suspended

Programs: DM
Originally Posted by hazelrah
I have to agree with indufan, PHX is safe. It's a good hub for the west a la SLC and minimal weather issues.

The merger is a good thing for the Southeast U.S. consumers and bad for Delta. Look for a reinvigorated US/AA to ramp up the competition in the traditional Delta Southeast U.S. stronghold market.
AA has a huge operation at LAX, which is a good hub for the west and minimal weather issues. Plus the reduced summer temps are an advantage as well. Do you really think AA is going to need two major hubs within an hour of each other? They certainly aren't going to cede anything to the competition in a premium market like LAX.

Regarding the South, both airlines are already there competing. CLT has flight restrictions which kill it as a competitor to ATL. Try and get an afternoon flight from the west coast to CLT.

Plus, there's a huge debt load at US that is going to need refinancing, new airplane deliveries, and three pilot groups that need merging. Money is going to be tight. Plus the way Doug Parker conducted himself with his other airline CEO colleagues, you can bet UA and DL aren't going to make this merger easy on him. I predict predatory fares for both business and personal travelers coming from DL and UA right at the time they are attempting to merge the airline and loyalty programs. The cultures at both airlines are 180 degrees apart. This is going to make the UA/CO disaster look easy. The one thing they have going for them is the huge size difference between the airlines. If they allow American and it's systems to swallow US, they will at worst anger 25% of the customer base. I predict a large consolidation of routes, or another BK.

A couple years ago when Charlotte could still be considered a mini NYC with regards to banking and finance, the merger could have been a huge success just from the corporate contracts alone. Banking has shrunk is Charlotte and is again consolidated in NYC, where Delta is less at risk.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Doesn't change much to me. AA is a good carrier, adding a bad carrier won't do much for me.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:54 am

I'm going to go against the grain and say that PHX is the least safe of all the hubs. Yeah, it's a huge metro, but the yield is abysmal, there is little international traffic outside of Mexico and Canada and it offers very little east-west connectivity that DFW can't offer.

I doubt they'll drop it completely, but I could see it taking a 20-40% hit in flights, being relegated to a more SLC-like role for western-US connections.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:01 pm

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by Deadtail
AA has a huge operation at LAX, which is a good hub for the west and minimal weather issues. Plus the reduced summer temps are an advantage as well. Do you really think AA is going to need two major hubs within an hour of each other? They certainly aren't going to cede anything to the competition in a premium market like LAX.
All the more reason why they need PHX as a hub. If you define hub as part of a hub and spoke, and that means connections, and LAX is a premium market, why would you want to take up space with connecting passengers, who would likely be coming from a less than premium market and connecting to a less than premium market?

PHX has far fewer weather issues than DFW. So I'm not sure what they gain by signficantly downsizing PHX, and pushing those connections to DFW and LAX.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by MastaHanky
I'm going to go against the grain and say that PHX is the least safe of all the hubs. Yeah, it's a huge metro, but the yield is abysmal, there is little international traffic outside of Mexico and Canada and it offers very little east-west connectivity that DFW can't offer.

I doubt they'll drop it completely, but I could see it taking a 20-40% hit in flights, being relegated to a more SLC-like role for western-US connections.
Agreed.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:26 pm

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Yes, each hub can concentrate based on the respective advantage of each hub LAX for O&D and PHX for smaller O&D and connecting trafffic. I could see some tailoring to PHX but not dehubbing. I gather the American West LAS legacy hub has already been largely dehubbed.

Regarding the South, both airlines are already there competing. CLT has flight restrictions which kill it as a competitor to ATL. Try and get an afternoon flight from the west coast to CLT.
Not the least reason the Delta/US merger did not proceed.

Plus, there's a huge debt load at US that is going to need refinancing, new airplane deliveries, and three pilot groups that need merging. Money is going to be tight.
Never been a better time to enter into the debt markets.

Plus the way Doug Parker conducted himself with his other airline CEO colleagues, you can bet UA and DL aren't going to make this merger easy on him. I predict predatory fares for both business and personal travelers coming from DL and UA right at the time they are attempting to merge the airline and loyalty programs.
IMO not gonna happen from the Delta end that seems more interested in cutting capacity and raising fares (and diddling in the NYC market :-)).

The cultures at both airlines are 180 degrees apart. This is going to make the UA/CO disaster look easy. The one thing they have going for them is the huge size difference between the airlines. If they allow American and it's systems to swallow US, they will at worst anger 25% of the customer base.
I don't think it will be easy; quite the contrary there will be significant challenges.

Last edited by hazelrah; Feb 14, 2013 at 12:31 pm
Old Feb 14, 2013, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by MastaHanky

The Hawaii flights for example could all go to DFW/LAX
Old Feb 14, 2013, 1:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: DM
Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
All the more reason why they need PHX as a hub. If you define hub as part of a hub and spoke, and that means connections, and LAX is a premium market, why would you want to take up space with connecting passengers, who would likely be coming from a less than premium market and connecting to a less than premium market?

PHX has far fewer weather issues than DFW. So I'm not sure what they gain by signficantly downsizing PHX, and pushing those connections to DFW and LAX.
PHX is a small O/D market. Much of the traffic through PHX could quite easily connect through DFW. I think you're going to see PHX lose significant traffic and start to resemble MEM or CVG.

Last edited by Deadtail; Feb 14, 2013 at 2:00 pm
Old Feb 14, 2013, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Short term, little change. DL will be far ahead in terms of a better product, better employee relations, and having gone through a much smoother merger.

Long term, DL is left with an uncompetitive loyalty program:
- No OW awards
- 3 award tiers, notorious among customers & analysts for poor low award avail.
- No way to redeem First on int'l partners
- Inferior SWU program
- Inferior MM program
- Poor communication with customers (ie: FlyerTalk engagement)

I think DL would be mistaken to think there is little to fear from post-merger AA competition.

I agree with Deadtail: Money is going to be tight. Plus the way Doug Parker conducted himself with his other airline CEO colleagues, you can bet UA and DL aren't going to make this merger easy on him

I also agree with politicalhack2: this merger could be an unmitigated disaster OR it just might be offering me a legitimate DL alternative.

I'm excited to see some competition that may push DL to improve its subpar loyalty program and continue other customer facing investments.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 2:11 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, WF GoFar Rewards, AAdvantage, United MileagePlus
PHX is a small O/D market. Much of the traffic through PHX could quite easily connect through DFW. I think you're going to see PHX lose significant traffic and start to resemble MEM or CVG.
Actually, PHX is the 8th largest O&D market in the United States. In fact, I am pretty sure that PHX has a higher percentage of O&D than DFW. However, what the problem with PHX is are the low yields, since PHX is a primarily leisure destination.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Delta 764
Actually, PHX is the 8th largest O&D market in the United States. In fact, I am pretty sure that PHX has a higher percentage of O&D than DFW. However, what the problem with PHX is are the low yields, since PHX is a primarily leisure destination.
I am not sure if I buy that. I have been to PHX nearly a hundred times for business. Plus, many of those O&Ds are going someplace else on business trips. Anymore, I don't notice lower air fares to PHX vs. anyplace else. At one time it was dominated by the WN effect or by the HP Saturday night stay rule. Local economy (as a relative factor) is also a factor and I wouldn't call that great in PHX. But that works both ways too, labor for the operation could be cheaper too. It's still an awful lot of people to walk away from. If they do, I believe Delta would be foolish to not consider the area.

Big and growing.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 2:48 pm

Programs: Skymiles PM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold#1
AA UA merger impact on DL FF?

Will the upcoming merger between American and US air have any impact on DL frequent flyers?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.