Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Flying my two million-th mile today on the same route....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2013, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, 20 Years Top Tier on DL, UA 1K, AC E75k, MR/SPG Lifetime Platinum

Hi Folks,

Somewhat nostalgic here - I am flying my 2M-th mile on DL today on the same route that I flew my very first flight with DL in the 1980s: Atlanta to London.

It made me think back to the excitement of my first flight. Despite all of the changes over the decades, I still get that childish excitement whenever I get on an airplane as I suspect many of you do also.

TFD
Old Feb 11, 2013, 9:57 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Congratulations!
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
very cool

I'm still working on my first million with DL (currently approx 850K, but closer to 900K when I add in pre-FFB/SM flights and flights on DL/NW predecessors -- WA, NA, PA, SO, RC)

my son is now older than I was at the time of my first DL flight (29 Dec 1972), but like you I still get that sense of excitement pretty much every flight
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:03 am

Programs: DL - Diamond Medallion - 2 Million Miler; Marriott Gold Elite, Radisson GOLD. ParknGo loves me
Congratulations to you !!

I should be hitting 2MM in 6-9 months.

Can't wait for Delta to shower me with gifts and adulation !
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:26 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott. Hilton Diamond, Hertz something...
Congratulations!

My first DL flight was London - ATL also. Feb 1st 1994. I'm not close to 2 MM yet and honestly don't want to be (at least from bus travel)... but i do love flying every bit as much today as I do all the way back when i started.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, 20 Years Top Tier on DL, UA 1K, AC E75k, MR/SPG Lifetime Platinum
Thanks to all for the comments - I know that this thread is useless but I am aiming for a "zero negativity" "happy" thread

On my first flight back in the 80s, I still vividly remember the smiling FA calling me "sir" (I was 8 years old at the time). This inspired a lot of giggling with my mom.

I also remember the Y meal being more than I could finish. I am not sure if that is because I was 8 years old or because the meals have gotten smaller (probably both).

TFD

PS: I met a 7MM last year. That dude looked every bit of what I would expect of a 7MM. I expect to end my flying career around 4MM or so...
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:00 am

Programs: DL PM
Congratulations!

Let us know if they mark the occasion for you some how (in flight announcement perhaps?).

Safe travels!
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM HH Gold, Marriot Titanium
Originally Posted by Task Force DL
. Despite all of the changes over the decades, I still get that childish excitement whenever I get on an airplane as I suspect many of you do also.

TFD

Congrats - and I know exactly what you mean. Mild thrill for some, but I really enjoy the experience :-)
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:58 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Hi Folks,

Somewhat nostalgic here - I am flying my 2M-th mile on DL today on the same route that I flew my very first flight with DL in the 1980s: Atlanta to London.

It made me think back to the excitement of my first flight. Despite all of the changes over the decades, I still get that childish excitement whenever I get on an airplane as I suspect many of you do also.

TFD
Sure do!
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:59 am
Suspended

Thanks to all for the comments - I know that this thread is useless but I am aiming for a "zero negativity" "happy" thread

On my first flight back in the 80s, I still vividly remember the smiling FA calling me "sir" (I was 8 years old at the time). This inspired a lot of giggling with my mom.

I also remember the Y meal being more than I could finish. I am not sure if that is because I was 8 years old or because the meals have gotten smaller (probably both).

TFD

PS: I met a 7MM last year. That dude looked every bit of what I would expect of a 7MM. I expect to end my flying career around 4MM or so...
What did he tell you about the "one-time personalized experience" or whatever they call it on the MM page that you get when you hit 7 MM?
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:21 pm

Programs: DL
Talking MM Gift ??

Originally Posted by brad9696
Congratulations to you !!

I should be hitting 2MM in 6-9 months.

Can't wait for Delta to shower me with gifts and adulation !
DELTA May EXEMPT you from the new MQD requirement-

Just a wishful thinking..
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:26 pm

Programs: Delta GM/1.5MM ~ United Silver ~ Marriott Lifetime Titanium
OP - Congrats !!!!

Hitting my 1st Million was a mark that I'll always remember - somewhere over WV/PA when the bell tolled. The FA made a big deal out of it - though to be honest I did say something to her when I boarded. I've got another 800k to go for my 2nd mill - not sure if i'll make it or not as that means 6 more years of this and I'm not sure my body can take 6 more years. We'll see, either way tip of the glass to ya !!
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:37 pm

Programs: DL - KM DM, DL 1.57 MM, UA - 1P, AA - EXP HH - Diamond, PC - Platinum, SPG - Gold, Hertz 5*
Congrats for sure!
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Bond1600
DELTA May EXEMPT you from the new MQD requirement-

Just a wishful thinking..
Well in a way they do since 2MMs get GM no matter how many MQMs or MQDs they rack up.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 1:01 pm

Programs: Delta PM, IC Ambassador, Marriott Gold
From the headline, I thought it meant you had flown the same route for 2 million miles. That's a lot of trips from ATL-BHM

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.