Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Just when you think you've seen it all...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Just when you think you've seen it all...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2013, 1:33 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
I've done it maybe 2 dozen times during my career.. It depends on the aicraft. On some planes, you can reach the cockpit window from the bridge, on other planes you cannot. Try doing that on a 757 when the bridge was at door 2 and you would need some very long arms to reach past 1st class to thecokpit.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 2:10 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, National EE
Originally Posted by wrytoast
Which gets me to thinking-- do all commercial passenger aircraft have cockpit windows that open? And how many would open wide enough to fit a standard carryon?
Yes, all commercial airliners have cockpit windows that open. This is the emergency exit for the flight deck if there is a blockage beyond the door (fire, wreckage, etc.).
Old Feb 7, 2013, 2:18 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by tkey75
Next time you're late and they refuse to re-open the door, ask to board through the cockpit window
I'm small enough, I might just try that
Old Feb 7, 2013, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by BeachBum770
Yes, all commercial airliners have cockpit windows that open. This is the emergency exit for the flight deck if there is a blockage beyond the door (fire, wreckage, etc.).
Not true. The CRJ series doesn't, but instead has a roof hatch.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 2:47 pm

Programs: DL GM/MM
Originally Posted by doubleA
Captain informed us our tailwinds were great (never heard that before on a TATL East to West)...
Go south enough and the westbound tradewinds can be caught. Or one can be lucky and they are further north than usual. (Think Columbus.)
Old Feb 7, 2013, 2:59 pm

Pilots pass things to the ground crews all the time through the front windows...not really that big of a deal.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by bennos
I'm small enough, I might just try that
That was something we forgot to try at CO DO IV.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 3:26 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by safigan
Back in the "good old days" (well pre 9-11 anyway) I was once able to get on a ValuJet flight after they had closed the door. In fact, the aircraft was already backing away from the gate! The GA looked at the pilot through the cockpit window (which was now even with the jetway), a good 5 seconds passed where nobody moved... then pilot pulled the aircraft back into place. I was received with scattered applause and annoyed looks from the other passengers.
Was entry through the window? If not, just tell us it was to make the story that much better!
Old Feb 7, 2013, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM; Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by tkey75
Next time you're late and they refuse to re-open the door, ask to board through the cockpit window
LMFAO!
Old Feb 7, 2013, 4:10 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by BeachBum770
I believe the 747 is roof hatch/rope only.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.