Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta and Starwood introduce Crossover Rewards

Delta and Starwood introduce Crossover Rewards

Old May 31, 2017, 2:10 pm

Programs: Marriott, IHG, Delta, United
Originally Posted by ILovetheReds
Can't remember if JFK has a dedicated silver check in or not, but if they do and you are on DL metal, you should be able to use it. If not then you can use Skypriority check in, but like domestic travel, you won't be able to use the SP security lane. You should be able to board with Zone 1.

Not sure how the luggage allowance will work since non-status gets one free checked bag anyway as far as getting an additional bag.

Like you said, DL doesn't do upgrades on internationals. They will opup people but only if coach is oversold but it will be Delta elites that will get upgraded first.

I always found the Delta priority check-in to be awkward. (I am SPG plat w/ no status on DL). Basically when I go to the priority DL check-in line (And yes, I use the Silver check-in where available), the agent always gives me the look like I am in the wrong place.

I don't think I have had a check-in agent yet who knew about the SPG crossover priority check-in benefit. Several times I have even been asked "What is SPG?". Most times the agent just gives me a dirty look like I am in the wrong line, but they relent and just check me in anyway without saying anything.

A couple of times I have been told I was in the wrong line and that it was for Silver Medallions only. In both cases, after I explained that the terms on the DL website clearly stated crossover benefits allowed me to use the Silver check-in, the agent relented and checked me in. It was still awkward though, and I felt bad for the agent because clearly they didn't know better.
Old May 31, 2017, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by kavok
I always found the Delta priority check-in to be awkward. (I am SPG plat w/ no status on DL). Basically when I go to the priority DL check-in line (And yes, I use the Silver check-in where available), the agent always gives me the look like I am in the wrong place.

I don't think I have had a check-in agent yet who knew about the SPG crossover priority check-in benefit. Several times I have even been asked "What is SPG?". Most times the agent just gives me a dirty look like I am in the wrong line, but they relent and just check me in anyway without saying anything.

A couple of times I have been told I was in the wrong line and that it was for Silver Medallions only. In both cases, after I explained that the terms on the DL website clearly stated crossover benefits allowed me to use the Silver check-in, the agent relented and checked me in. It was still awkward though, and I felt bad for the agent because clearly they didn't know better.
Back before I got SPG status, their hotel agents didn't know that I was supposed to get benefits for having DL status.

UA and Marriott have a much better partnership IMO.
Old May 31, 2017, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by kavok

I've run into the same problem at a couple SPG's as a Delta diamond with no SPG status. The W in Midtown Atlanta is great and always asks if I want a 4 p.m. checkout when I checkin and will upgrade me if available but a few other SPG's I've been at have been clueless when I ask for a 4p.m. checkout or if an upgrade is available and have had to check with the manager on duty or another employee so maybe the benefit isn't being used much or a lot of people have both high status with DL and SPG
Old May 31, 2017, 7:56 pm

Programs: Marriott, IHG, Delta, United
Originally Posted by WWads
Back before I got SPG status, their hotel agents didn't know that I was supposed to get benefits for having DL status.

UA and Marriott have a much better partnership IMO.

With the UA/Marriott partnership, top tiers in one program get actual Silver status in the other. In the DL/SPG partnership, top tiers get basically all of the benefits of status in the other, but aren't officially awarded said status.

The United/Marriott program is simply much easier for the Hotel desk staff and Airline check-in staff to understand. I wish DL/SPG would go the same route, as the benefits wouldn't really change, and it would be easier and straight forward for everyone, front line staff included.

It will be interesting to see what happens with this once the SPG and Marriott programs actually merge.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 12:06 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Has anyone experienced glitches with points posting with Starwood from Delta? I have had only one posting of points, but not for flights before and since.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 3:42 pm

Programs: DL, AS, Marriott, Hyatt, National
Originally Posted by techie
Has anyone experienced glitches with points posting with Starwood from Delta? I have had only one posting of points, but not for flights before and since.
Sometimes it takes a week or two, but mine have always posted. There are some fares (e.g., those booked using OTAs) that the DL T&Cs say are ineligible.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 1:19 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Bringing this thread back to life in light of the pending Marriot and Starwood program merger announcement occurring on Monday. If the SkyMiles partnership is going to be discontinued, it will likely be announced then.

Any speculation on what is going to happen?
Old Apr 13, 2018, 1:26 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
The MR and SPG threads on the Monday announcement are so long I have only glanced at the threads but do not remember seeing a note about the DL factor.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by Xeno
The MR and SPG threads on the Monday announcement are so long I have only glanced at the threads but do not remember seeing a note about the DL factor.
Correct - there's been no discussion on this on those threads. It will be interesting to see if Marriott is able to keep the two relationships alive or if they are going to pick one. From what I've read (still all speculation), it looks like the SPG card may go away (although will be grandfathered for a period of time). If the SPG card is going away, it wouldn't surprise me if the Crossover awards go away too.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 2:19 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, DL FO
I received a promotion email this week for double miles on new partners, and both the Marriott and SPG logos are present. That's the first time I've seen the Marriott logo used in connection with SPG on Delta's site. Could indicate sonething about the future, or might be nothing.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 9:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ethernal
Correct - there's been no discussion on this on those threads. It will be interesting to see if Marriott is able to keep the two relationships alive or if they are going to pick one. From what I've read (still all speculation), it looks like the SPG card may go away (although will be grandfathered for a period of time). If the SPG card is going away, it wouldn't surprise me if the Crossover awards go away too.
There's discussion in the threads on the announcement that's expected for Monday (and IIRC also in a blog or two) that both cards will be continued, with AmEx taking over the premium and business versions as the merger evolves.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 2:58 pm

Per the new members.marriott.com page:

• Crossover RewardsTM with Delta SkyMiles will continue through July 15, 2018, with all current benefits being honored through that date. We expect to have more to share on this program before July 15.

This reads as corporate speak for the program is most likely going to end.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 3:18 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by ethernal
Per the new members.marriott.com page:

This reads as corporate speak for the program is most likely going to end.
Which is a bummer since my brand loyalty these days is to Starwood and Delta but it is what it is.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 3:19 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Would the combined program not be negotiating with both DL and United to make a deal?
Old Apr 16, 2018, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by Xeno
Would the combined program not be negotiating with both DL and United to make a deal?
It's possible but the language does not give me much optimism. If the program is retained, my guess is that the points are significantly reduced (perhaps 1 or 2 MR points per $ spent on Delta flights instead of 3).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.