Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta and Starwood introduce Crossover Rewards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta and Starwood introduce Crossover Rewards

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2013, 9:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by woody125
Interesting. Did not know that. You also get SPG "Lifetime" Gold (not sure if SPG defines lifetime like DL does or not) after 4 years of Gold on SPG.
Not quite. Lifetime SPG Gold requires five years of earned Gold or Plat status and 250 nights credit, which is a lot more nights than five years of Gold. Indeed, someone could have five years of Plat rather than Gold and only 125 nights if the person qualified on exactly 25 stays per year.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 9:22 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by lamont2718
^^ Completely agree. Great move by DL and SPG. And for those who have elite memberships in both programs, crossover will essentially double the miles/points earned for DL flights and SPG stays. Fantastic way to recognize and reward loyalty in both programs.
It won't double point or miles in the sense that DMs already receive 225% miles for DL flights in most coach fares, which is a lot more than a dollar per mile. SPG elites without SPG credit cards normally receive three points per dollar on eligible spending, which includes restaurant and bar bills, room service, etc., even when using an award stay.

Based on MQDs, a normal DM (not someone who has been achieveing status by MRs) might earn about one free night per year in a Category 5 property (very nice but not true luxury unless in a cheap location; think most Ws in fairly expensive cities) and a typical SPG Plat (estimate 50 nights at $200 for a rough benchmark) earns an additional low domestic coach ticket every two or three years. The benefits are not overwhelming, but they are appreciated as a little bit extra.

Now if my DM status would just move me up the priority list for suite upgrades to SPG Plats or if my SPG Plat would be an additional criterion for DL's upgrade waitlist. As it is, it looks like the only double elites who gain are SPG Golds who are also DM or PM on DL as they get free internet from crossover and can still claim their 250 points or welcome drink amenity. Unfortunately, those of us who are SPG Plat and also DM or PM get nothing additional except a few extra miles and points.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 3:53 am

Programs: DL GM (2MM), Lifetime Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sethb
SPG says you need 250 nights since 1999 (no credit for the earlier Sheraton program ) and 5 years of elite status for lifetime Gold.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Not quite. Lifetime SPG Gold requires five years of earned Gold or Plat status and 250 nights credit, which is a lot more nights than five years of Gold. Indeed, someone could have five years of Plat rather than Gold and only 125 nights if the person qualified on exactly 25 stays per year.
You're both right. My bad. I've got 4 down and and am working on year #5 right now. Had 4 on the brain for some reason.

Now back to normal programming...
Old Feb 8, 2013, 6:31 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Wonder if we will see some cross platform promotions. SPG has their quarterly promos for bonus points, so wonder if they might work in flights with DL sometime in the future as part of it.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by roknroll
Wonder if we will see some cross platform promotions. SPG has their quarterly promos for bonus points, so wonder if they might work in flights with DL sometime in the future as part of it.
Hilton does promos with Deltas. In Q4 they typically do a promo that gets you MQM's on Delta. I'm hoping Delta doesn't partner with SPG on this promo in the future instead of Hilton, it is nice combing the Q4 regular promo with the Delta MQM promo.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 7:44 am

Since Crossover apparently depends on registration before flying rather then before ticketing, this is a weak indication that DL plans to count MQDs in the year that the flights were flown rather than when the ticket was purchased.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Do the years have to be "earned"? The web site said "elite status" with no reference to how it was achieved. (E.g. Amex Platinum giving Gold, plus 20 nights/year for 13 years.)
Old Feb 8, 2013, 8:21 am

Do the years have to be "earned"? The web site said "elite status" with no reference to how it was achieved. (E.g. Amex Platinum giving Gold, plus 20 nights/year for 13 years.)
Emphatically the AmEx Plat Gold years and Centurion Plat years do not count for lifetime status.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Emphatically the AmEx Plat Gold years and Centurion Plat years do not count for lifetime status.
Starwood says that some AmEx Gold years do count

7.4.a. In order to obtain SPG Lifetime Gold status, an SPG Member must have: (i) a minimum of 5 Eligible Status Years; and (ii) 250 Eligible Nights, during the SPG Member's participation in the SPG Program. An "Eligible Status Year" is a year during which an SPG Member obtained elite membership status (Gold Preferred Guest or Platinum Preferred Guest) by: (A) achieving the Gold Minimum Requirement or the Platinum Minimum Requirement during the prior year's Qualifying Period; (B) meeting certain requirements associated with an applicable Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express;

The AmEx clause is explicitly missing from the Lifetime Platinum qualifications (which requires 500 nights and 10 years of earned Platinum).
Old Feb 8, 2013, 10:35 am

Starwood says that some AmEx Gold years do count

7.4.a. In order to obtain SPG Lifetime Gold status, an SPG Member must have: (i) a minimum of 5 Eligible Status Years; and (ii) 250 Eligible Nights, during the SPG Member's participation in the SPG Program. An "Eligible Status Year" is a year during which an SPG Member obtained elite membership status (Gold Preferred Guest or Platinum Preferred Guest) by: (A) achieving the Gold Minimum Requirement or the Platinum Minimum Requirement during the prior year's Qualifying Period; (B) meeting certain requirements associated with an applicable Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express;

The AmEx clause is explicitly missing from the Lifetime Platinum qualifications (which requires 500 nights and 10 years of earned Platinum).
This is different. Your quote is about the SPG AmEx credit card. I was talking about the regular nonaffiliated AmEx Plat charge card and Centurion charge card that have given SPG Gold and Plat status. Those years do not count as elite years unless the person met the stays/nights requirement for the status. Part(B) refers only to the SPG credit card.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 8:40 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, IHG Spire
Argh! I wish they had done this at this time last year.

Although, once I do the math, my 100ish nights at SPG between Sept 2012 and March 2013 and probably 18Kish spend on DL (before taxes/fees) only really cost me 13K SPG points and 18K miles, so I guess not the end of the world.

As an SPG plat I've been upgraded probably 2 out of every 3 stays, and I stay in a Sheraton weekly. The club lounge and free internet are also fairly nice perks. I also got upgraded to a *nice* suite at the WDW Dolphin when I booked 2 free nights.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 10:39 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Since Crossover apparently depends on registration before flying rather then before ticketing, this is a weak indication that DL plans to count MQDs in the year that the flights were flown rather than when the ticket was purchased.
That is to be expected. DL SkyMiles management is a master in fleecing its customers, so it is natural that they are concerned about "gamers" fleecing them back .... as would otherwise happen with refundable tickets. They certainly aren't stupid.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is different. Your quote is about the SPG AmEx credit card. I was talking about the regular nonaffiliated AmEx Plat charge card and Centurion charge card that have given SPG Gold and Plat status. Those years do not count as elite years unless the person met the stays/nights requirement for the status. Part(B) refers only to the SPG credit card.
Which makes sense, because the SPG Amex credit card requires you to earn Gold status through spend ($25k or $30k/year, I forget exactly).
Old Feb 9, 2013, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For most of my flights, I'd prefer 500 Starpoints per segment to one per dollar. (I just bought a 3-segment, $400 ticket, for instance.)
Me too. This part was confusing.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 8:13 am

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Which makes sense, because the SPG Amex credit card requires you to earn Gold status through spend ($25k or $30k/year, I forget exactly).
It's $30k. That's how I got SPG gold status last year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.