Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Getting an upgrade and not wanting it??!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2013, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite, SpaceX Lunar Elite

Any of you guys ever actually NOT want an upgrade to F? For example, I'm on a CMH-LGA flight 2x a week and it's rarely 100% full. About half of the EC seats (or more) fly empty. Sometimes I'm actually happier flying in EC with nobody next to me rather than F where I still have a seat buddy even if they are a little farther away.

I had a situaiton a few weeks ago where I had an EC seat with an empty next to me. I checked my Delta app at the gate and found someone was now sitting next to me and there was no other EC row that was wide open. The back of the plane had several empty rows so I had the GA move me. She thought I was nuts!

Maybe I'm just anti-social?
Old Feb 6, 2013, 9:09 pm

you can always take the upgrade, then walk back into coach for your seat with your drink.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 9:51 pm

Programs: DL GM
I have yet to decline an upgrade to F. But your story is about EC, which is an entirely different situation.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 10:26 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hilton Diamond
I have declined one once. I got an upgrade and my wife didn't. So in the best interest of my marriage, I declined the upgrade and took the middle seat in coach next to her.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 4:59 am

Programs: DL Diamond Million Miler, AA Ex-Plat, IHG RA, Marriott PLAT, HERTZ Pres Circle
Originally Posted by domCMH
Any of you guys ever actually NOT want an upgrade to F? For example, I'm on a CMH-LGA flight 2x a week and it's rarely 100% full. About half of the EC seats (or more) fly empty. Sometimes I'm actually happier flying in EC with nobody next to me rather than F where I still have a seat buddy even if they are a little farther away.

I had a situaiton a few weeks ago where I had an EC seat with an empty next to me. I checked my Delta app at the gate and found someone was now sitting next to me and there was no other EC row that was wide open. The back of the plane had several empty rows so I had the GA move me. She thought I was nuts!

Yep, just when travelling with the family. Even though the upgrade was 'turned off', it still came through and I had to call in and get it revoked. Done it a few times, but never when travelling alone.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 5:19 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
The only ug that I may decline is the 763... Y is more comfortable than those horrid F seat s...YMMV.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 5:19 am

Programs: Delta Diamond
Originally Posted by randidliyo
Yep, just when travelling with the family. Even though the upgrade was 'turned off', it still came through and I had to call in and get it revoked. Done it a few times, but never when travelling alone.
I have done it when the upgrade put me in the bulkhead seat of a 737 for a redeye. Had to first make sure the GA could give me back my original seat.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 5:31 am

Programs: SQ
EC with an empty middle is usually more comfortable and practical than F with no meal service.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 5:39 am

Originally Posted by sclarkmccarthy
I have declined one once. I got an upgrade and my wife didn't. So in the best interest of my marriage, I declined the upgrade and took the middle seat in coach next to her.
Originally Posted by randidliyo
In that situation I'll give my wife, or son (he's a well behaved teenager) the upgrade, and I'll sit in back. It goes a long way in fanily relations.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 6:35 am

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
Originally Posted by domCMH

If you don't want the UG to F then don't check the "Upgrade requested" box when booking your flight. That will leave you off the UG list and you can keep your EC seat as you wish. Though you won't get any Sky Priority benefits as FO unless you're upgraded ahead of time. So w/o UG, you'll be Zone 1 boarding and regular security line as well.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 6:54 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by sclarkmccarthy
^ Same here, only turned it down once for the same reason.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 7:22 am

Programs: DL - DM, Charter KM; Marriott Ambassador
I've kept it but gone back to Y to lay out in empty rows for redeyes...
Old Feb 7, 2013, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by MichaelKade
I've kept it but gone back to Y to lay out in empty rows for redeyes...
my travel is down 50-75% over what it was between 2002-2010, but it has been a LONG DAMN TIME since I have seen an empty row in Y on a redeye

Originally Posted by wb8iny
In that situation I'll give my wife, or son (he's a well behaved teenager) the upgrade, and I'll sit in back. It goes a long way in family relations.
my son is now 22 ... I did that quite a bit as well in the high-travel era, and agree that we were (and still are) all the better for it
Old Feb 7, 2013, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by benzemalyonnais
EC with an empty middle is usually more comfortable and practical than F with no meal service.
100% agree.

Old Feb 7, 2013, 11:08 am

Programs: Marriot PP
Just walk to the seat you want, and when the person comes, ask him if he wanna be in the first class. Most people will do!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.