Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Erosion of diamond medallion benefits

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2013, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Erosion of diamond medallion benefits

For the past several months I have seen the ability to upgrade to first/business class offered up steeply cut rates after buying a coach class ticket at Delta.com. Today I watched a travel with no status upgrade to the last remaining business class seat at the counter for $125. The agent told me Delta just started doing this several months ago.

This policy represents a massive erosion of benefits to Diamond Medallion customers. Delta's upgrade system always appeared to me as solely merit based and as such served as a pure incentive to seek and maintain status. The more you fly, the more you fly up front.

Selling business class seats for rock bottom prices to anyone willing to pay will fundamentally alter this merit based system and radically decrease my motivation to maintain status with Delta.

I sincerely hope Delta does the math and quickly realizes that my loyalty is worth way more than the last minute $125 they made today. Does anyone else out there feel this way or have had similar experiences?

David
Old Feb 5, 2013, 10:04 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
nope. never heard of this before. is this something new that has never been seen on this site? maybe i could search for that, instead
Old Feb 5, 2013, 10:06 am

Programs: AA, Delta Kryptonium (DM) Hyatt Diamond IHG Fake Plat (Ambassador), HH Gold
Welcome to Flyertalk

WFBF FCM MQD IBTL

Maps
Old Feb 5, 2013, 10:14 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Welcome to FT. Were you not upgraded as a result?

Delta has for many years sold F seats to non-status passengers in eligable fare classes after all Medallions have been upgraded. I have not heard of a change to that policy. If you were upgrade eligable on the flight and if the upgrade had been properly requested you should have cleared before any non-status passenger was offered a paid upgrade.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 10:32 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL FO/1MM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by mapsgl
Welcome to Flyertalk

WFBF FCM MQD IBTL

Maps
Though your post was not very unhelpful, it did give me a good chuckle. ^^
Old Feb 5, 2013, 10:33 am

Programs: DL DM
This does sound like a glitch or an oversight. Are you sure you were on the upgrade list? If so, you should email delta a succinct complaint stating that you were on the upgrade list and that the agent proceeded to sell "standby" upgrades to non-status customers rather than process the upgrade list.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was on an SFO-MSP flights a couple of weeks ago and the gate display was offering FC upgrades for $150 prior to the upgrade list being processed. I pointed this out to the gate agent who said it was a mistake and quickly removed the upgrade offer from the display rotation.

As to the OP's statement, I'd say it's somewhat of an open question as to whether the "math" favors a 'T' fare Diamond over a lower status flyer who often flies on K+ fares. With the coming revenue requirements, DL may have a different opinion.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 10:49 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL FO/1MM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by davidmclain
...Selling business class seats for rock bottom prices...
Welcome to FT!

I am interested to know what route you were flying? Also, which counter are you referring to... check-in or gate? If domestic & check-in counter, I'd say this is a typical FCM (First Class Monetization, if you are unfamiliar with the abbreviation) buy-up. Many times last-minute flyers are offered a buy-up to FC for $20-$50 over their (already high) coach fare.

There is great debate on these boards about this, I don't have a problem with it personally, but obviously there are wildly varying opinions on the topic.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 10:51 am

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I've seen DL sell upgrades but only after all medallions have cleared. OP, are you sure you were on the upgrade list? If you saw a non-status traveler paying for an upgrade, why didn't you tell the agent that you're a DM and should have your upgrade processed first?

Edit: Or is the OP complaining that he got upgraded as a DM and complains that after he and all medallions were upgraded, a non-status pax upgraded for $125? Because if that, then . You got a $125 upgrade for free. There's your benefit.

This isn't FCM -- FCM prices out medallions from upgrades by selling F for relatively cheap before upgrade windows open/upgrade inventory is opened. What happened to the OP is SOP for when there are more F seats than F tickets + elites. I'm glad DL does this, it adds to their revenue stream without actually have to pay more to provide much service. It doesn't dilute medallion benefits at all, since you've already been upgraded by the time these seats are being sold.

Last edited by amolkold; Feb 5, 2013 at 11:34 am
Old Feb 5, 2013, 10:59 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles PM
Need more information

Was the diamond OP upgraded? Single segment upgrades are sometimes offered at the gate. Passenger interested can register at the gate but don't get upgrades until after all elites have been accommodated. That means they are not assured the segment upgrade until after all elites are aboard and a seat is available. Anything other is a degradation of elite benefits.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:01 am

Programs: DL DM/1MM, Natl Exec Elite, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diam
OP, did you really register so you could post this rant that had absolutely zero effect on your flight experience today?

How does this diminish DM benefits? You didn't pay $125 for your upgrade, did you?

This isn't news... K+ fares have been gate upgradeable once all Medallions have been upgraded via instruments or complimentary. You walk up to the gate, tell them you're interested, they swipe your card. When you board, if your upgrade clears, a new seat assignment and a receipt pops out.

If your upgrade doesn't clear, you didn't win, sorry play again next time.

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...l-changes.html

Same-day Standby Upgrades

The same-day standby upgrade option allows you to upgrade your flight for a small fee, provided space is available and your ticket is eligible. Eligible tickets are those ticket booked in K-class (or higher). For travel to/from Hawaii only, eligible fares include those booked in L, U and T classes. This option applies to specific flights and routings:

• Within North America.
• To/from Aruba, Bermuda, Grand Cayman (Cayman Islands), Montego Bay (Jamaica), Nassau (Bahamas), Providenciales (Turks and Caicos), Los Cabos (Mexico), San Juan (Puerto Rico), and St. Thomas (US Virgin Islands)
• Between Atlanta and Costa Rica, St. Maarten and St. Lucia
• Between Cancun (Mexico)and Atlanta, Cincinnati, Detroit, Indianapolis, Memphis and Minneapolis

The following upgrade fees apply:
Fee
0 to 500 miles $50
501 to 1,000 miles $75
1,001 to 1,500 miles $100
1,501 to 2,000 miles $150
2,001 to 3,000 miles $225
3,001 miles and up $350

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/points...grade-at-gate/

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...-purchase.html
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:09 am

Programs: DL - KM DM, DL 1.57 MM, UA - 1P, AA - EXP HH - Diamond, PC - Platinum, SPG - Gold, Hertz 5*
This sounds like FCM and I am assuming by counter, he meant at the check-in counter, not at the gate, so upgrade status has no meaning here.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Reply from OP

I was 4th on the upgrade list and not cleared for an upgrade. I'm not ranting, just pointing out that the gate agent on DL 1655 ATL-LAX told me she had just sold an upgrade at the gate. Obviously the people in front of me were also all Diamonds so they were not upgraded either.

When I asked her when they started doing this she told me a few months ago. When I pointed out how unfair it is to Frequent Flyers she agreed and said she did not like doing it either. I called the Diamond Medallion line, explained the situation, and they said they could understand why I thought that was unfair and encouraged me to send delta a formal complaint which I did. They did not say Delta was not doing this or that it must have been a glitch.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 12:50 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Did she sell an upgrade or did she upfare a ticket to paid F?

Looks like this is one for the FTer(s) with intranet access.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 1:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by davidmclain
I was 4th on the upgrade list and not cleared for an upgrade. I'm not ranting, just pointing out that the gate agent on DL 1655 ATL-LAX told me she had just sold an upgrade at the gate. Obviously the people in front of me were also all Diamonds so they were not upgraded either.

When I asked her when they started doing this she told me a few months ago. When I pointed out how unfair it is to Frequent Flyers she agreed and said she did not like doing it either. I called the Diamond Medallion line, explained the situation, and they said they could understand why I thought that was unfair and encouraged me to send delta a formal complaint which I did. They did not say Delta was not doing this or that it must have been a glitch.
I toooooooooooooold youuuuuuuu!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20170376-post2234.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.