Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta changes web site password rules, costs me $200

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2013, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Delta Diamond, Hertz PC, National Executive

Hello,

Wednesday night, I checked in for my Thursday IND - ATL - BWI itinerary using my smartphone app - the latest iOS version. Use the same credentials I've been using for a while - FF#, PIN (4-digits), last name.

Thursday, board the plane with the electronic boarding pass in the app. Still used same credentials. Plane pushes from the gate, then returns with a mechanical issue. Now the fun starts.

This was the last set of connecting segments for the day that would get me home on Delta (no choice - work requirements). My only other alternative was to get on a SWA flight direct to BWI. No problem, I'll call the DM desk and get them to switch me. Called, the system prompts for my FF#, then asked me for the first 4 characters of my Delta.com password. No problem, my PIN was only 4 characters anyway. System wouldn't recognize it, and after 3 attempts locked me out and dropped the call. So, I called back, thinking I could bypass that and talk with a rep. No, they don't let you talk to the DM people without entering the correct info (which, I understand). Ugh.

Clock is ticking, I need to change to the B terminal in IND to get to the SWA flight and it boards in 15 minutes. I still need a ticket. Called my corp. travel agency, but since I was under 60 minutes to departure, they could not purchase an SWA ticket for me, I had to go to the desk and do it myself. OK, I can do that. Got to the SWA counter, but they obviously can't voucher my Delta ticket, so I have to buy a $340 1-way, walk-up fare. Ouch, but at least I get home the same day.

With the 5 minutes I had until boarding, opened my iPad, went to Delta.com, and found out they won't allow a PIN anymore, you need a password, with some stupid rules. One capital, one lower case, one number, no special characters. (really? ugh!) Change the password, get my account unlocked, now I can call the DM desk and they refund the balance of my ticket - $115. So, because of the password fiasco, instead of vouchering me over to SWA at no charge to me, I ended up spending an additional $200 or so. That seems silly. They'll get a strongly worded letter about it.

Apparently, in the time it took for me to board the plane, de-board due to MX, and start this process, Delta changed the password requirements on me. No prior notice that I know of, but I suppose I could have missed it.

Moral - everybody go change your PIN to a password on delta.com, lest you encounter this silliness. I guess I TOFTT.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 8:10 am

No prior notice?

You mean that DIASTER website didn't harrass you like it did me?
Sorry, but this has been out there for weeks!

And next time try calling the regular Delta line you can get right past it without any info.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Yes, I could have / should have called the regular line, but I was in a hurry and trying to make other calls, too. And I just checked, I can still log into the web site with my PIN.

I don't remember being harassed about a password, but like I said, I may have missed it.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 8:16 am

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
This is not Delta's fault. The password thing changed weeks ago and it lets you use one or the other. However, that being said, you could have gone to any GA, to have the change made, could have gone to the club, could have called the general number, etc...Also if you call and do not put in your password, or SM number it will take you to the general number automatically.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 8:20 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Try months. New website and password requirement was introduced early November. You had plenty of time to enter one.

Unfortunately Delta will probably have to placate and appoligize for your self induced issue.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 8:34 am
Original Poster

I freely admit I may have missed on the requirement for a password change, and that's my fault. But, if the web site can accept my PIN, and the smartphone app can accept my PIN, why won't the diamond desk voice response system?
Old Feb 1, 2013, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by 777-222
I freely admit I may have missed on the requirement for a password change, and that's my fault. But, if the web site can accept my PIN, and the smartphone app can accept my PIN, why won't the diamond desk voice response system?
Because the voice response system is no longer set up for the PIN, but the first four letters of your password...
Old Feb 1, 2013, 8:41 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
@DeltaAssist

Originally Posted by 777-222
This is why, with a smart or DUMB phone, as long as you can text, you can tweet to @DeltaAssist. Could have been fixed in 5 min. Done. USE Twitter. So simple.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 8:43 am

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Sky Club
I feel for the OP and agree the web app sucks. I typically go the the internet site rather than using the app.

That being said, the responsibilty here lies with you, not Delta. While flawed, they gave ample notice.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 8:51 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
The disaster is flying WN last minute. Unless the OP bought up to a better position, they were likely shoved between Bubba and Birtha in a middle seat at the back of the plane....

I eoulf d pend the night in IND before I would fly WN. IMO.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 9:07 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
How in the world do you suggest that delta would have rebooked you on WN??? WN has NO ticketing agreements with other carriers. In IROPS you cannot be rebooked onto a WN flight just like WN cannot rebook you onto another airline if they have a problem. DL could only have booked you on another legacy carrier as LCCs generally do not have ticketing agreements with other carriers. This is why you hear stories of people on WN or G4 or F9 getting stuck somewhere for days....they don't rebook their pax on other airlines and don't allow other airlines to rebook on them.

If WN was truly the only option to get you home, I'm sorry to say that it wouldn't have worked. You needed to talk to WN if you wanted a ticket on that flight, not DL. I'm sure DL had no problem refunding your ticket but DL would have had no way of rebooking you onto WN.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 9:30 am

Programs: DL Ham Samich
+1. Why would DL ever book you on WN?
Old Feb 1, 2013, 9:30 am

Programs: DL Diamond;AA Gold; UA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Plat
my PIN still works

I have refused to go along with the password change yet and still have been able to use my PIN. Just got off the phone with DL ten minutes ago. I had no problem using my pin to get through to the call center. Not sure why you had this problem.

I suppose I will have to create a password--but as I usually do, I will hold out until the very last minute.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 9:45 am

Programs: DL EOS...
I experienced similar PW issue yesterday even though I had established (or so I thought) a PW that used the 1st 4 numbers of my old pin. Luckily, it was a day before my next flight so I didn't experience major disruption except for the 1-1/2 hours of phone roulette to deal with this situation.

Blaming the OP here is way off base IMO. Delta still uses the pin login for website and if that's the case you honestly don't know it won't work for the phone system until you try calling.

Even with an "acceptable" PW (Anybody try a capital letter for the 1st 4 characters yet?), it's still quite confusing and often difficult to figure out letters on a phone dial pad in the heat of battle. Many softphones no longer have the letter association with the numbers so in that case it can be a terribly stressful and upsetting situation.

Even today, I notice my computer still wants to login with the old pin - even after clearing that PW (or so I thought) in Firefox prefs?

I could give them more of a pass if the website was actually an improvement but I don't see it and I'm not the only one. IMO Delta's website and apps have taken huge steps backwards and merely continue to frustrate and confuse pax.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 9:52 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Natl Exec
I did go through with the password change and my PIN still works. I use it everytime I log in onto the new app and on the new dl.com vs using the new password. I see a lot of complaints about the new password, but yet IME, the login process is the same (SM#, PIN, last name). That said, over the phone is the only time I have had to use the password. So luckily I went through with the change long before I needed to speak with an agent.

Sorry OP that you went through this. As we all know well, the system still is broken. But the moral of your story is correct.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.