Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

50,000 mile bonus for Platinum members - was it a one-time thing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM

Hey all,

I did a search for this but couldn't find anything specific - last year I got a note from Delta saying that they were going to award me 50,000 miles (non-MQMs), just for being a Platinum customer. Anyone know if they plan to do this again in 2013?

My hunch is that this was somehow tied to the 50,000 mile bonus they were giving to Platinum Amex customers, and to make it fair, they simply awarded them to existing Platinum customers. Can anyone confirm?

On a related note, the Delta Skymiles agent on the phone yesterday told me candidly that Skymiles Amex customers were ruining complimentary upgrades for non-Amex frequent flyers like me because they were taking up all the upgrade spots and "unfairly" getting Platinum status due to MQM bonuses associated with the card (hence the introduction of MQDs). I told him I did notice that most of last year I suddenly dropped to 12th or 15th on the upgrade lists all the time (as opposed to 2nd or 3rd), which seemed very unusual to me. Anyone else have this experience?
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:12 pm

Programs: Delta GM/1.5MM ~ United Silver ~ Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Don't remember getting a bonus 50k last year.

Also, the mqd thought doesn't make much sense as you can buy your way around mqd with spend on Amex. Not sure what the agent was thinking.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
I didn't get a 50K bonus last year either.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:44 pm

Programs: Skyteam
I want 50k bonus.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM
Ok, I looked back and realized that I had dropped to Gold in 2011, but hit Platinum again for 2012, so maybe it had something to do with that? Here's what the email said when I got it in January of 2012:
___

Because you participated in our Exclusive Rewards promotion in 2011—and earned Platinum Medallion status for 2012, you've been awarded 50,000 bonus miles.
___

Anyone recognize this?
Old Jan 29, 2013, 1:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by stumbleman
Ok, I looked back and realized that I had dropped to Gold in 2011, but hit Platinum again for 2012, so maybe it had something to do with that? Here's what the email said when I got it in January of 2012:
___

Because you participated in our Exclusive Rewards promotion in 2011—and earned Platinum Medallion status for 2012, you've been awarded 50,000 bonus miles.
___

Anyone recognize this?
Nope... wish I did!
Old Jan 29, 2013, 2:08 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by stumbleman
___

___

Anyone recognize this?
I'm thinking you went from gold to platinum with this:

http://thepointsguy.com/2011/03/delt...0-bonus-miles/

David
Old Jan 29, 2013, 4:18 pm
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
There was a promotion awarding bonus miles for hitting various elite tiers. You clearly got this promo (and then forgot!).

They also had a nifty "fly 2 international flights and get Platinum" which I happily took advantage of...
Old Jan 29, 2013, 5:44 pm

Programs: Delta Skymile DM, Marriott Platinum, PC Gold, Avis Chairman's Club, National EE
Originally Posted by skchin
I want 50k bonus.
WBBB
Old Jan 29, 2013, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Teamstone
WBBB
Well... it's a bit harder when it's really "want free bonus, buy free bonus" now isn't it...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.