Search

MQD = Weak SkyTeam?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2013, 9:33 am
a7m
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Gold. SU Silver.
MQD = Weak SkyTeam?

Yet another post about Delta’s introduction of MQD in 2014.

Judging by many posts on FT, many elite flyers seem to be quite happy about this, because it will elevate the value of the medallion status.

But here is what concerns me… From what I understand, Delta will not count money spent on SkyTeam partner flights. Doesn’t it loosen the alliance? What incentive is there left to fly KLM, AF, SU, and other airlines except the increasingly meaningless MQM? Without that incentive, is there anything left of SkyTeam except some minuscule reciprocal benefits?

Delta is probably on the way to become the best domestic airline, but it will suck on the international scale. The Sky Team is doomed or already dead.

Last edited by a7m; Jan 28, 2013 at 8:30 pm
Old Jan 27, 2013, 9:45 am

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
MQD = DESTROYS SkyTeam!

Just an alliance in name only, reduced practical value for travel.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 9:57 am

Programs: DL DM; UA; AA
Originally Posted by a7m
From what I understand, Delta will not count money spent on SkyTeam partner flights. Doesn’t it loosen the alliance? What incentive is there left to fly KLM, AF, SU, and other airlines <...>?
Well, FWIW, DL-marketed flights (006 tickets) on other metal will count:
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...lars-faqs.html
As of late, I've been seeing pretty much the same fares on AF/KL metal whether marketed as AF/KL or as DL*. You'll just need to make sure to buy them as DL.

Concerning SU -- there is now zero incentive to fly them. Irrespective of MQD.

-----
* Of course, there is zero guarantee that this won't change come 2014....

Last edited by StefanNYC; Jan 27, 2013 at 9:59 am Reason: added footnote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:02 am

Programs: DL,AA SPG Plat
I think your going to see more focus on strategic partnerships than big alliances. The ST TATL JV is still strong from a MQD perspective. If you book through DL.com your mostly fine. I am concerned about the KE devaluation because I was under the impression that the pending TPAC JV was going to be a key part of DLs success. Your also seeing these partnerships with virgin Australia and virgin atlantic, assuming they don't join ST. DL is chairing the money and the bean counters must not see most of ST as valuable partners.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:08 am
a7m
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bfxfd
If you book through DL.com your mostly fine.
Well, that's a problem. I often see the same flights on KLM, AF, and SU much cheaper on their sites than on Delta's.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:11 am
a7m
Original Poster

Concerning SU -- there is now zero incentive to fly them. Irrespective of MQD.
SU still gives you more miles than South Asian SkyTeam partners (which often give no miles at all). From another perspective, if you join Korean Airlines program, you will not earn miles AT ALL for LUT flights on Delta (which are equivalent of the flights for which SU gives at least 50% percent).
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by a7m
SU still gives you more miles than South Asian SkyTeam partners (which often give no miles at all).
Guess I'm being a little selfish here. Just that I never fly to South Asia (so I wasn't even aware of what you just said), but I fly to Europe a lot.

Originally Posted by a7m
From another perspective, if you join Korean Airlines program, you will not earn miles AT ALL for LUT flights on Delta (which are equivalent of the flights for which SU gives at least 50% percent).
Unfortunately -- unless those E and R classes on SU are so new that DL just hasn't had time to include them into their chart yet -- SU will give 0%, not 50%, for them.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by a7m
Well, that's a problem. I often see the same flights on KLM, AF, and SU much cheaper on their sites than on Delta's.
SU, definitely. AFAIU, they just never ever release their cheapest classes to DL, and vice versa. So you'll never get DL's LUT when booking through SU (not that we'd ever need it) nor SU's equivalent when booking through DL (which might come in quite handy... but that's not to be).

With AF/KL, my experience is different, as noted above. Perhaps it depends on the route? I mostly shop for JFK-[CDG|AMS]-KBP, and DL vs AF/KL tickets usually makes no difference. Not so with other routes?
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:33 am
a7m
Original Poster

Originally Posted by StefanNYC
Guess I'm being a little selfish here. Just that I never fly to South Asia (so I wasn't even aware of what you just said), but I fly to Europe a lot.
I am actually in the same situation you are. I hardly ever fly to Asia but mentioned it for comparative reasons. Like you, I guess, I do fly mostly to Europe, and I hate the new mileage policy on SU. I just blame Delta for it, because the new Delta rules will screw many international travelers. You can fly to Europe on SU all you want, it will simply not get you an elite status after 2014. That's the bad part.

Last edited by a7m; Jan 27, 2013 at 10:39 am
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:34 am

Programs: DL GM and so on
unless those E and R classes on SU are so new that DL just hasn't had time to include them into their chart yet
These are indeed their brand new cheap fares.

Last edited by paulmoscow; Jan 27, 2013 at 10:52 am
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:36 am
a7m
Original Poster

SU, definitely. AFAIU, they just never ever release their cheapest classes to DL, and vice versa.
I have two RT tickets on AF to LED for $520 each (one in February and one on March). Delta operates 1/2 of segments. If I bought the tickets on Delta, tehy would cost me around $800.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by a7m
Delta can issue any SkyTeam fare (or really, any interline ticketing partner fare) onto their own ticket stock, although it will usually require a phone call. 006 tickets are not limited to DL codeshares; if you see an attractive fare on another airline, just have DL issue the ticket for MQD credit. So long as you maintain Gold or higher status, your only cost is the time it takes to call.

Last edited by akonradi; Jan 27, 2013 at 10:48 am
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by akonradi
Delta can issue any SkyTeam fare (or really, any ticketing interline partner fare) onto their own ticket stock, although it will usually require a phone call. 006 tickets are not limited to DL codeshares; if you see an attractive fare on another airline, just have DL issue the ticket for MQD credit; so long as you maintain Gold or higher status, your only cost is the time it takes to call.
is there an extra ticketing fee for doing that?
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by NewYorkMoscowFlyer64
is there an extra ticketing fee for doing that?
Technically, yes, unless you maintain Gold or higher status with Delta. In practice, many agents will waive the fee for itineraries not bookable on delta.com, but as always, YMMV.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by a7m
I have two RT tickets on AF to LED for $520 each (one in February and one on March). Delta operates 1/2 of segments. If I bought the tickets on Delta, tehy would cost me around $800.
There is nothing new about this. My first post on FlyerTalk was on July 23, 2003, and I discussed TLV-SAV flights:

Originally Posted by Dovster
Delta's home office (as opposed to its ground and air crews) seems to have a death wish and is doing everything possible to discourage purchase of its tickets.

I split my time between Israel and the US and thus spend quite a bit of time travelling. I am a Gold Medallion member who has made three Tel Aviv-Savannah trips so far this year but has never bought a Delta ticket.

Why and how? Alitalia and Air France both offer the flights at $300 to $500 less. I am not talking about an Air France deeply discounted ticket versus a Delta full coach ticket. I am comparing discounted to discounted and full coach to full coach.

The real irony is that I am flying on Delta operated flights most of the time. (Israel to Europe is on partner airline but Europe to Atlanta and Atlanta to Savannah are Delta operated.) I have to believe that if Alitalia is selling me the ticket, it is keeping a large part of the fare and that Delta is winding up with much lower revenues than it would if it were willing to sell me the same itinerary at the same price.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.