Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Sky Clubs and Those with AA and UA Slipping in Importance

Old Jan 26, 13, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT 3MM, DL PM 2MM

I could have posted at AA or UA but doing it here. So many changes occurring at the legacy airlines. FCM for one for those of us like to go F. Now maybe we just buy it on whatever airline has the best connection/fare. Also the clubs have changed. So many ways to get in. I'm all for inclusiveness unless I'm buying. I've lately found some nice wine bars at Minneapolis and LGA which are nicer and more frlendly than the overcrowded clubs. I will still pay/use the clubs but things are changing everywhere from loyalty, to FFP's to clubs. I'm starting to think forget just one airline and go with best FCM of all airlines and look for the nice new coffee shops/wine bars at the airports I frequent. Not there yet but starting to wonder and if I'm spending my money I will make the most of it and the FFP's as we knew them are OVER.
Old Jan 26, 13, 8:53 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott
I don't understand this rant
Old Jan 27, 13, 6:49 am

You could always get the AMEX that gives you access to a few clubs. Then you could really jump from airline to airline easily if that matters to you.

Last edited by stils; Jan 27, 13 at 6:21 pm
Old Jan 27, 13, 7:11 am

Programs: DL DM, LH SEN, SPG Plat
WHAT is this thread about?
Old Jan 27, 13, 7:17 am

Programs: DL DM 2 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond SPG Lifetime Plat Marriott Plat Hertz PC
If you are buying F I would not be loyal to any airline but take the most convenient route.
Old Jan 27, 13, 7:36 am

Programs: DL DM MM
I agree with the OP, and I don't think the legacies will be crying. This is in line with their strategy. The clubs are more of a hook for selling the Amex than anything else, particularly now that ATL has free wifi all over the airport. I don't know of any nice wine bars in ATL, though. If there were, I'd be there rather than the SC.
Old Jan 27, 13, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MMô, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Cholula General Member
Originally Posted by troyintn View Post
If you are buying F I would not be loyal to any airline but take the most convenient route.
Amen.
Old Jan 27, 13, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NotHamSarnie View Post
I agree with the OP, and I don't think the legacies will be crying. This is in line with their strategy. The clubs are more of a hook for selling the Amex than anything else, particularly now that ATL has free wifi all over the airport. I don't know of any nice wine bars in ATL, though. If there were, I'd be there rather than the SC.
A few months ago the Wall Street Journal had an article that there are come companies being started to place "clubs" at major hub airports and will operate at very competitive hourly rates. Wifi, nice furnishings, bar etc with set number of people allowed at at time (rolling number but upper limit) which may be very cost effective compared to the large legacy clubs. Again a sign of the times and the ever changing competition for the dollar!
Old Jan 27, 13, 8:36 am
Original Poster

See link to Airport Club for the Masses

Originally Posted by bcj1949 View Post
A few months ago the Wall Street Journal had an article that there are come companies being started to place "clubs" at major hub airports and will operate at very competitive hourly rates. Wifi, nice furnishings, bar etc with set number of people allowed at at time (rolling number but upper limit) which may be very cost effective compared to the large legacy clubs. Again a sign of the times and the ever changing competition for the dollar!
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...185838488.html
Old Jan 27, 13, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Nice spot in Minneapolis

http://heavytable.com/surdyks-flight...polis-st-paul/
Old Jan 27, 13, 9:11 am

Programs: Delta Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Silver
One Flew South in E has a good wine selection. There's also a new place in A (called A Bar or something) that looked like a wine/cocktail lounge, although I haven't been in there personally yet so I can't say for sure.

Of course if the crowded clubs are really an issue, I've found that the nice one in T is never, ever crowded.
Old Jan 27, 13, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by bcj1949 View Post
Never been to MSP. It looks nice! ATL has nothing like this. The pay-clubs will likely take the cell-phone business crowd who seem to enjoy being surrounded by others in the same position, all of them yammering away in some display of self-importance.
Old Jan 27, 13, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by realjd View Post
One Flew South in E has a good wine selection. There's also a new place in A (called A Bar or something) that looked like a wine/cocktail lounge, although I haven't been in there personally yet so I can't say for sure.

Of course if the crowded clubs are really an issue, I've found that the nice one in T is never, ever crowded.
Yes, OFS in E is my favorite hangout in ATL and I tend to eat there before intl red-eyes as it also has better food than anywhere on or off the plane. I was thinking more a pure wine-bar atmosphere. Thanks for the heads-up about the place on A concourse. Ill try that next time. T is by far the best SC in ATL.
Old Jan 27, 13, 9:32 am

Programs: NW Gold, '06. Good times.
Thank you for the link.

Above, Lounges at London's Gatwik.
Da.
Old Jan 27, 13, 6:34 pm
ffI

Programs: AA 2MM, US CP, DL PM, UA 1k <=> HH DM, SPG/ClubC/Marr G, Hyatt/IHG Plat, FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by KP2006 View Post
WHAT is this thread about?
It is about the American Way. Freedom of speech. Ability to post on any forum

Search this Thread