Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Food poisoning at ATL Harstfield yesterday

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2013, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN peon (was A+), IHG Plat Hilton HHonors Gold DL SkyPesos PM (still a peon) US Chmn, Hawaiian Haole

I'll spare you the ugly details, but something I ate at ATL or ex-ATL absolutely caused the worst stomach problems I've ever enountered. There are 4 suspects.
(1) Councourse C Sky Club - carrots, celery or olives
(2) Councourse A Sky Club - carrots, celery, or olives
(3) Concourse A Chilis Too. Hamburger (cooked medium) but also fresh lettiuce, tomato, and onion
(4) First class dinner meal (chicken) on DL #1333 ATL-SLC.

Mercifully, the symptoms didn't kick in until after I was home for the day, but I was up all night with pain and suffering. I'm still knocked down and at least 5-6 pounds dehydrated.

Anybody else suffer this yesterday?
Old Jan 25, 2013, 3:00 pm

Programs: United Gold Elite, former multi-year Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
There's a very good chance that you caught a norovirus (stomach flu), rather than food poisoning. There have been many articles written about how a nasty norovirus is spreading throughout the US this winter. It's extremely contagious and very hard to get rid of. I would not at all be surprised to hear someone was passing it along in a SkyClub or the airport Chilis.

It's a good practice anyway, but I especially think this winter is a good time to use hand sanitzer and avoid shared foods like carrot trays.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 3:01 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
The hand food at the SCs can have germs from others, but unlikely to be worse than a cold/flue.

The food on the plane usually has been cooked past recognition prior to being reheated for serving.

I would vote for the burger. Ground beef cooked less than medium well is a risk. In theory medium is sufficient, but do you really trust a crappy airport kitchen?

Glad you recovered, real food posioning is no joke.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 3:06 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Originally Posted by johnslloyd
I'll spare you the ugly details, but something I ate at ATL or ex-ATL absolutely caused the worst stomach problems I've ever enountered. There are 4 suspects.
(1) Councourse C Sky Club - carrots, celery or olives
(2) Councourse A Sky Club - carrots, celery, or olives
(3) Concourse A Chilis Too. Hamburger (cooked medium) but also fresh lettiuce, tomato, and onion
(4) First class dinner meal (chicken) on DL #1333 ATL-SLC.
Maybe you just ate too much - 2 dinners and a variety of snacks....
Old Jan 25, 2013, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN peon (was A+), IHG Plat Hilton HHonors Gold DL SkyPesos PM (still a peon) US Chmn, Hawaiian Haole
Originally Posted by FlyAO2
Maybe you just ate too much - 2 dinners and a variety of snacks....
I went very light on the SC snacks and there was at least 4 hours between the Chilis hamburger and the FC meal on DL #1333. Whatever it was, it was absolutely horrible.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 3:18 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by johnslloyd
Mercifully, the symptoms didn't kick in until after I was home for the day, but I was up all night with pain and suffering. I'm still knocked down and at least 5-6 pounds dehydrated.
I'd suggest norovirus, too. I had this a year ago on Christmas morning as I was heading out to visit family and friends, and literally had to pull off the side of the freeway because I became ill so suddenly. I was out of action for three days with the first being the worst, and also had the weight loss you experienced. There was a school in San Francisco around the same time that had to close for a week to stop the spread of this virus between students and then had folks come in to sanitize the entire school.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 3:22 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, National EE
Originally Posted by youngdlplat
There's a very good chance that you caught a norovirus (stomach flu), rather than food poisoning. There have been many articles written about how a nasty norovirus is spreading throughout the US this winter. It's extremely contagious and very hard to get rid of. I would not at all be surprised to hear someone was passing it along in a SkyClub or the airport Chilis.

It's a good practice anyway, but I especially think this winter is a good time to use hand sanitzer and avoid shared foods like carrot trays.
Originally Posted by tom911
I'd suggest norovirus, too. I had this a year ago on Christmas morning as I was heading out to visit family and friends, and literally had to pull off the side of the freeway because I became ill so suddenly. I was out of action for three days with the first being the worst, and also had the weight loss you experienced. There was a school in San Francisco around the same time that had to close for a week to stop the spread of this virus between students and then had folks come in to sanitize the entire school.
Norovirus is my bet based on what you described. Very easily transferred from the carrier to you. I had a case back in 2006 on a cruise. Spent most of the last night in the hospital with an IV in me, and then moved to a hotel for about 18 hours of sleeping the next day when we docked. It made clear to me the meaning of the term "violently ill."

Edited to Add: And, the worst part is that any of the locations you described could have been the source, so you will most likely never know for sure.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 3:22 pm

Definitely it sounds like a case from the GII.4 Sydney norovirus that is spreading around the USA. It only lasts one or two days.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 3:32 pm

BTW, if the other posters are correct and it is a norovirus, you are still contagious so please take care.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 3:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
That stomach bug is nasty this year and I know a number of People in ATL who just had it. I got it a few weeks ago and was holed up on the bathroom floor for about 6 hours....felt the gurgling on the plane and thankfully I made it home in time... At least 6 people I was around that trip got it as well. I was blamed...
Old Jan 25, 2013, 3:49 pm

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
Originally Posted by tom911
I have this right now, ( hit me in my car on the way tomthe airport on Tues, not pretty) worst stomach thing I have ever experienced. Agree with the others, comes from nowhere and lasts a few days.

Thanks to the nice folks at DL actually refunded my ticket
Old Jan 25, 2013, 3:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
Originally Posted by MR_MAMA
I have this right now, ( hit me in my car on the way tomthe airport on Tues, not pretty) worst stomach thing I have ever experienced. Agree with the others, comes from nowhere and lasts a few days.

I want to culture it and sell it... The pounds literally squirt out any way they can... Gentleman do not diet, but I must say, I lost 15 pounds the hard way...
Old Jan 25, 2013, 3:57 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by MR_MAMA

They refunded a ticket because you had a virus? I missed a funeral this month due to a low grade virus where I was mildly contagious and even with a written note from my physician all I got was no change fee when I call in to use the credit for a future ticket.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson
I want to culture it and sell it... The pounds literally squirt out any way they can... Gentleman do not diet, but I must say, I lost 15 pounds the hard way...
Has not the concept (without the pain) already been perfected by 16 year old anerexic girls?

Tonsil depressors are cheap.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 4:03 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Nothing to do with Skyclubs but I got very sick after eating a McDonald's McChicken sandwich for lunch Wednesday. Nothing so bad as food poisoning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.