Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta and new DL.com Profiles A Lot About You

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2013, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Schmoops
Figured a highly collaborative effort like this needs a wikipost. As items and codes are confirmed, let's centralize them in one place rather than thumb through hundreds of discussion posts.

How to pull your information
Log into your SkyMiles account at Delta.com, then visit this link: https://www.delta.com/databroker/bcdata.action

What the items indicate
v01: Closest airport to home address (encoded using key 1)
v02: Country of residence
v03:
v04: Preferred departure airport/city (encoded using key 2)
v05: Language
v06: discSpndngAmt, in thousands
v07: Skymiles status level
v08: State/province (encoded using key 2)
v09: Pay with Miles eligible
v10: sunTrstInd
v11: prefDestCity
v12: MQS
v13: Hotel loyalty programs stored in DL.com profile (encoded using key 2, see post #829)
v14:
v15: Income, in thousands
v16: Current age + 99
v17: 1/2/3 MM Status
v18: Home value, in thousands
v19:
v20: SkyClub member
v21: SkyMiles account number
v22: Experian Mosaic segment (encoded using keys 1 and 3, see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...l#post20913445) Description here and Segment Details here
v23: Saved search destination airports (encoded using key 1)
v24: SkyClub renewal date (coded using key 3)
v25: Saved payment information (encoded using key 1) AND SPG status (encoded using key 1, see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...l#post20913463)
v26: Gender/prefix (1=male/Mr, 2=female/Ms/Mrs, 3=Dr/other) (to be confirmed)
v27:
v28: SkyMiles account number with 3 leading zeros (called "CustID" in previous data)
v29: Logged in (SM account)
v30: Customer Value Score (Questionable, and scale is unknown)
v31: RDM balance
v32: Dream trips from DL.com profile (encoded using key 2)
v33: MQM balance
v34: Activities & Interests from DL.com profile
v35:
v36:
v37:
v38:
v39: ?? Duplicate for Language ??
v40: ?? Duplicate for Country of Residence ??

Encoding

Three different coding keys are used for variables 01, 04, 08, 13, 22, 23, 24, 25, and 32. For full mappings, click here: Keys 1, 2, and 3
Print Wikipost

Delta and new DL.com Profiles A Lot About You

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2013, 7:57 pm

Programs: DL DM, EY Plat, MM Senator
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
AXCV seems to be the Reserve card (I wonder how they invented that abbreviation) and AX means a non(DL)affiliated AmEx card.

My incomeAmt might well be what my income was (in thousands) when I first applied for an AmEx at the end of graduate school.
This must be right. My listed income was reasonably accurate, but was the exact number that I gave to AX when I switched to The Platinum card last year.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 9:30 pm

Programs: DL PM
So has anybody sniffed out if/where this data is now being transferred for the DL site? I missed the original link when it was still valid and am curious what they've got on me. Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Vuelos
Do you think they are smart enough to do that?
Haha, you never know. Doubtful.

Originally Posted by BogusRogus
Mine has an extra field
EATSFKCHEESE "y"

Weird.
LOL

Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
That would be devious and bordering on a conspiracy theory.
It was just a funny suggestion. Too funny.

Originally Posted by paulmoscow
It seems somebody just woke up in Atlanta, my profile in "bcdata.action" went completely blank.
Well, we knew the gig would be short lived.

Originally Posted by CJKatl
Interesting. I seem to be the only one whose property value does not match Zillow. I've checked Zillow twice today, and what is showing on the DL information is ~60% of what shows in Zillow.
My current address does not have a zillow estimate, so must be something else.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:07 am

Programs: DL Platinum, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bennos
For those who think this is somehow a Delta specific IT fail, it's an artifact of the design of pretty much every modern web site: Your web browser acts like a client and authenticates to a server as you (thus the part where you had to login to see this data), then your web browser customizes your browsing experience according to the data pulled from the server. (See, eg, AJAX.)

GMail, for example, uses this exact model (assuming you use the web interface), only the data it's pulling is your email instead of your home value. Of course, Google has access to lots of data about you, too, that's how they target ads to you. You just haven't discovered the same "breach" (that isn't really a breach) yet.

If you want to get upset at Delta over this, then you need to get upset with almost every other major corporation in the US at the same time. (If you want to get upset at Delta over your CustValSeg being 0, that's a different issue.)
You can see what google thinks of you here: http://www.google.com/ads/preferences/view
Old Jan 26, 2013, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Just opted out.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 4:44 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by baccarat0809
Damnit - too late to the party.

really wanted to know what mama DL thought of me.

fricken chicken
ME TOO! DAMNIT DAMNIT DAMNIT

This is all I can see now:

{"bcInd":"Y"}
Old Jan 26, 2013, 4:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by DLCorpGuy
Like many companies, Delta uses demographic and other data to help provide a personalized experience for our customers, improve how we communicate with them and design offers customized to their interests. While the data displayed was only available to the specific user, we sincerely regret that this code displayed and the confusion it may have caused for our customers. We worked to resolve the issue promptly upon discovering it.
Please put it back so I can see mine. Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 4:51 am
Suspended

Deleted from net
Old Jan 26, 2013, 5:02 am

Programs: DL DM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Just opted out.
?? Can you elaborate?
Old Jan 26, 2013, 5:16 am

Programs: DL DM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold
So I understand why they would collect and want the data, but one thing that I find perplexing is why these data would be transmitted FROM delta.com in the first place. Can someone with more IT experience than I weigh in on possibilities?
Old Jan 26, 2013, 6:01 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Like it has been said before, most large American companies do profiling. I have no problem with that. What I do have a problem with is that DL is saying they are using this for a "customized experience". Well, we all know the old adage "Garbage in, garbage out". It seems that in 30-50% of the cases the data was wildly inaccurate. That then leads to poorly customized experiences and DL markets to many of us in the wrong way or the wrong products. For example, I might be missing out on valuable deals that would be spot on for me, except DL has the wrong data and keeps sending me offers for ATL-SFO.
The concept is great, the execution is terrible. If I were VP of Marketing for DL, I'd cancel my Experian contract and get my money back

Last edited by Deltahater; Jan 26, 2013 at 6:22 am
Old Jan 26, 2013, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by DeltaFan4Now
So I understand why they would collect and want the data, but one thing that I find perplexing is why these data would be transmitted FROM delta.com in the first place. Can someone with more IT experience than I weigh in on possibilities?
The web pages in your browser are way more intelligent than they used to be, and do a lot more than simply display a page sent from the website. Transmitting data in this form is very common, but I doubt all of the profile information is needed by the browser application, so it looks like a case of too much information being included. It is securely requested and sent, so there's no real risk of someone intercepting it.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 7:09 am

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
Big Brother's Profile

http://www.linkedin.com/in/smitapremkumar

Here's Big Brother's Linked-In profile.

".... right offer to the right customer at the right time ..."

Last edited by RRDD; Jan 26, 2013 at 7:21 am
Old Jan 26, 2013, 7:26 am

Programs: Delta Skymile DM, Marriott Platinum, PC Gold, Avis Chairman's Club, National EE
I can provide a little insight on that. Many companies will use this type of data to generate ads within their pages. There are companies that specialize in marketing and providing targeted ads. To leverage this you must have a secure data transfer to provide this link.

Originally Posted by DeltaFan4Now
Old Jan 26, 2013, 7:26 am

Programs: Delta Reserve - PM
Originally Posted by Deltahater
...Well, we all know the old adage "Garbage in, garbage out". ...
Exactly.

As I've seen from reading this thread, people are offended that Delta has/uses this information. Not because it may be wrong, but because they think they should have privacy. So in that regard, if everyone wants to be so secretive, how is it possible for Delta to get correct information. If you're going to complain about privacy, then you can't really complain about the information Delta uses for you. If you lie about your birthdate or income level, how the hell would they know, they're just using a data feed. None of the information that I was able to see, am I worried about. If I had seen my social security number, that's a different story.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.