Denied for an upgrade first class

Old Jan 19, 13, 12:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jb008 View Post

Also, is there a disability related issue with splitting two passengers on the same PNR if one identifies himself as an interpreter accompanying a disabled individual? I would assume that once you request special treatment you put them at risk if you then try to waive special treatment but it's considered a hazard to you and a liability to them.

Last, are you 100% sure that your "interpreter" didn't disqualify the two of you by somehow indicating it was important (and that maybe got misunderstood as "necessary") for the two of you to be seated together?
I wasn't asking for special treatment or anything at all. Simply we wanted to upgrade to first class. That was it. Nothing more or less. My partner and I always travel all over the places. We always sit together. It is like your husband/wife sitting together on the plane. lol.
Old Jan 19, 13, 12:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mattsteg View Post
Your partner told the gate agent you were deaf, and the agent "was helpless and did not know how to deal with me." Reading your post literally, there was nothing more than an announcement of deafness at this stage, so other than mind-reading I am not entirely sure what you expected the GA to do at this point.
Apparently the GA has not been exposed with the deaf people before. I have been through this experience all my life. I wasn't born yesterday. I can tell by her reaction toward me. It is nothing new to me. I expected the GA to be professional when dealing with deaf (please do not use the term "hearing Impaired" cuz it is like my ears don't work like they're supposed to. it is like I am unable to function in the hearing world because I am Deaf, not hearing impaired. Most hearing people think I am helpless and is dumb. The word "impaired" means that I can't do anything except this . Sorry I changed the subject lol. Enough of "hearing Impaired" thing.")

Last edited by KDHawaii; Jan 19, 13 at 12:30 am
Old Jan 19, 13, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 1MM, BA Silver
Originally Posted by KDHawaii View Post
Exactly!!! I wasn't trying to get an upgrade just because I am deaf. That's silly.
I wasn't asking for special treatment or anything at all. Simply we wanted to upgrade to first class. That was it. Nothing more or less. My partner and I always travel all over the places. We always sit together. It is like your husband/wife sitting together on the plane. lol.
Definitely engage DL about this again. Let us know if it works out!!
Old Jan 19, 13, 7:50 am

Programs: DL EOS...
As best I can understand, which isn't saying much, I agree you should try contacting Delta again. Suggest you be clear you were inquiring about "Medallion Complimentary Upgrade" benefit as a Silver Medallion member when the situation went south. Provide tix code details, etc.

Less wording about your deaf situation and opinion of what the GA is/was possibly thinking might help streamline the basic (lack of upgrade request) message/inquiry as well?

Good luck!
Old Jan 19, 13, 9:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Sometimes too much information makes for a tough situation with a GA trying to get ready to board a flight and push it ontime. If, as OP points out, his disability has nothing to do with the UG, there was no reason to mention it to the GA in the first place. It only becomes a complicating factor because the GA might reasonably believe that he's being asked to do something because OP is deaf.

All the companion needed to do is present the two BP's, one of them Medallion, and ask whether it might be possible to UG. As others point out, it may have been too late for the companion UG and that may be why the GA didn't do it (again, because the entire issue of whether OP & companion needed to sit together was irrelevant at that stage).

Lastly, as to the entire issue about F vs. EC, we have an unfortunate exercise in communications issues here. We can't know exactly what the GA said and in what context because OP is posting what his companion told him the GA said.

Unless I'm missing something, this is somewhere between a legitimately denied UG (no companion UG after T-3) and a mistake. But, nothing in OP's post suggests that DL denied the UG because of OP's disability. If he wants to complain further, either he needs facts to back up the discrimination claim or he should simply focus on the service failure.

As I see it, the 3,700 miles are simply a courtesy and have nothing to do with any view on DL's part that it did anything wrong. For this reason, I actually think that it's far better for carriers to respond with zero when zero went wrong.
Old Jan 19, 13, 10:39 am

Programs: DL PM, WN, SC, various other programs of lowly status
Agreed that mentioning the deafness to the GA muddied the waters, but I can see why he mentioned it; more to explain why OP wasn't asking for the upgrade himself but I think the GA missed that point.

Perhaps when your partner presented both BPs to the GA, the companion's BP (with no status) stood out to her and she perceived them both as non status.

In any event, the upgrade game is fraught with obstacles and ever changing rules. You have to be vigilent. Sometimes even when you tick "request upgrade" it falls back to "upgrade eligible" which is not the same thing.

For future trips, this has worked for many of us in solving problems, literally "on the fly". I've had success in solving problems in as little as 5 minutes.
http://boardingarea.com/blogs/deltap...-how-to-guide/
Old Jan 19, 13, 11:42 am

Programs: Delta plebe
If there's two seats in first that aren't adjacent and you communicated that it was important to sit together, then why are you surprised they said there wasn't availability? As you just pointed out, two first class seats were left open, but not next to one another. If you or your partner told the GA that you wanted to sit together it's very possible that this disqualified you from being reseated.

Compounding the problem, it also sounds like you got caught up in the DL.dumb issue where upgrades requested at booking are only about 50% successful at sticking with the PNR. It's possible you two would have been upgraded into adjacent seats if the upgrades had been successfully requested on your PNR at the window (T-24hr). Once you were within the 3 hour window, your companion was technically ineligible for a companion upgrade.

From what I can tell, about the only thing that you being deaf may have contributed was that the GA may not have successfully explained all the combinations of options to your travel partner-interpreter, or those explanations didn't get conveyed to you.

A) You get upgraded, but they keep sitting where they're assigned in EC.
B) You sit together in EC.
C) You sit in 5A/2D, your companion sits in 2D/5A [officially this isn't even an option since you missed the 3h window, but I believe is at the discretion of the GA to waive]

And I continue to suspect that that your interpreter said something like, "we need to sit together" or "we'd prefer to sit together rather than be seated apart", that inadvertently (or intentionally?) declined the upgrade for you by suggesting that the two of you choose option B.

If you aren't satisfied with the apology and the skymiles they already gave you, then keep complaining. I'm sure you can milk them for more. If you want, you could probably contact an attorney and really get something for your troubles.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: