Wiki Posts
Search

Vacation Runner Commiseration Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2013, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Vacation Runner Commiseration Thread

Well folks, we are being given the proverbial digit by DL. Evidently they feel they will make more money from the AMex spend requirement than they make from our butts in the seats in empty planes that cross the Atlantic mid-January and occasional upcharge that we pay DL for our status. (All under the convienient disguise of "thinning the ranks" for other loyal DL Amex holders, err, elite members).

If this sticks...US/AA and UA will also follow suit, so remaining loyal to them is a moot point.

How do you all feel? One of the main joys of my GF and my crazy trips to places we would not normally go was getting our lowly FO status. Endless connections, paying $100 more here and there, and avoiding the non-stop flights all seemed worth it. I have been wanting to fly some of the middle east airlines and give a little more business to B6. I guess we can view this as a liberation to take advantage of all of those non-ST deals that appear around the web. It looks like TK will be getting a lot more of my business. I hear they have better service anyway. ^
Old Jan 17, 2013, 6:31 pm

I mentioned this in the other thread, but 10 cents per MQM seems a bit of a high target to someone who does primarily transcon and intl flying in Y. On at least one transcon route I fly off season P fares come out at below 10 cents per MQM.

Thankfully my business travel will push up my averages a bit, but I'm definitely going to be thinking long and hard about the future come January 2014.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

Before Intl taxes...we are looking at 11-12 CPM necessary for status.

Since it is inevitable that very cheap fares in the 3 -5 CPM range will continue to exist to fill up planes (On DL and others)...I will not be able to justify that extra expense for my vacation runs to maintain status. I will also not be able to justify spending more $$ to fly DL for my 1 or 2 short business hops per year.

My company pays all of my expenses...so AMEX spend is out for me.

My vacation run hobby comes from being a smart consumer and capturing VDB's (not gaming the system with fuel dumps or anything like that). Just sad that part of the fun was killed today.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 7:20 pm

Programs: AS, DL, AA, UA, WN
I feel like I used the system the way that worked the best for me, and with a new system, I will adjust my use accordingly. But let's be honest, helping people achieve elite status is never what airlines were planning with MR-level deals, they're just trying to fill seats. The airlines occasionally offer fantastic rates on interesting routes, with the goal for them being to get price sensitive customers to bite.

In that regard, I disagree with the popular characterization of Delta making any type of emotional overture at any customers, giving them the finger, etc. They make choices based on what's best for their bottom line, I do the same for myself. If a change in the rules makes those two things not align anymore, so be it. I'm honestly not the customer DL should waste effort chasing.

Originally Posted by pgh234
One of the main joys of my GF and my crazy trips to places we would not normally go was getting our lowly FO status.
Particularly in 2012, good vacation fares fueled my reaching FO status. But FO status was entirely a bi-product, and I still would've taken the trips even if I didn't get status out of it. When DL offers a good low fare that takes me somewhere I want to check out on the other side of the globe, I'm still going to buy it. When someone else does, I'll take that, as I would now also. Heck, you may be in the same boat, ultimately.

Everyone obviously has different priorities, but unlike some folks on FT (not referring to anyone in this thread), my destination and the trip in general are always the first considerations and the rest falls where it may. I've flown TPAC J on DL and loved it, but I've also flown TPAC Y on Delta and didn't return from two weeks in Korea and Hong Kong with the foremost lasting memory being "man, those were somewhat uncomfortable flights." It's always in how you look at things!
Old Jan 17, 2013, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Have to agree here... part of the fun was finding a good fare for an MR and going someplace totally out of the ordinary just to check it out for a day and say you were there.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by steex
Particularly in 2012, good vacation fares fueled my reaching FO status. But FO status was entirely a bi-product, and I still would've taken the trips even if I didn't get status out of it. When DL offers a good low fare that takes me somewhere I want to check out on the other side of the globe, I'm still going to buy it. When someone else does, I'll take that, as I would now also. Heck, you may be in the same boat, ultimately.
I completely agree with the above. But my point is this winter I paid an extra $100 to get to IST on DL (and make two connections). Next year...I will be taking TK nonstop. The FO status was just something that made these trips even more fun. It is just a little buzz kill. It is not like DL lost any revenue by letting me select amongst the sea of empty blue seats.

I agree though...the cheap MR-esque fares will still be around. The memories made from those by-far out weigh any low status I won't have anymore. As long as DL understands I can save $100 getting there on someone else (I hear that money talks for all consumers...not just me...the start of a slippery slope)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.