Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

MQD + MQM Results in EOL for Mileage Runs Based Medallions

Old Jan 17, 2013, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, AA ExP

Based on those who qualify via the Miles flow method for earning a medallion the new requirements of:

MQD (Qualifying Dollar spent) + MQM (Qualifying Miles)

Is going to require a minimum 10 cents qualifying mile spend on DELTA generated tickets. Dollars won't count if the ticket is issued by a Skyteam member (i.e. KLM, AF, etc..)

This will cause a thinning of the Medallion ranks based on those who've been earning medallions doing MQM runs on sLUT fares that they've been able to do for ~ 5 cents per qualifying mile or less in the past ... as that won't work anymore. They'll either need to continue doing cheap sLUT fares and double up the mileage flown ... i.e. 250K instead of 125K for a Diamond for example ... or they'll need to buy tickets of at least 10 cents per mile that get them 125K qualifying miles flown.

Basically Delta has raised the minimum effective bar of Mileage running to 10 cents per mile for someone starting out the new qualifying year.

Interesting ...

Last edited by rajsh; Jan 17, 2013 at 4:39 pm
Old Jan 17, 2013, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Not really. What Delta has said is that if you enjoy mileage running, you also need to enjoy spending on their AMEX card if you live in the US (and thus can apply for it).

Now if you can't be approved for the card, or don't want the card... then MRing is not going to work so well.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 5:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, AA ExP
Agreed ... with the DL Amex ... you can bypass the MQD spend ... as long as you rack up 25K / year on the DL Amex. Many folks will avail themselves of this ... but there are many who probably don't want to use the DL Amex cards - i.e. prefer the Amex Plat card or Amex Starwood card for the benefits those provide etc.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 5:34 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
MRs are also usefulll for those who naturaly have a decent amount of expensive fares outside of their runs.

There have been many posts on "the" thread from those who spend at well over twice the needed rate. Say one travels 35k miles for work on many short trips. Could easily spend over $5k on these. So this person could up from FO to GM or PM with some MRs.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 8:42 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by exwannabe
MRs are also usefulll for those who naturaly have a decent amount of expensive fares outside of their runs.

There have been many posts on "the" thread from those who spend at well over twice the needed rate. Say one travels 35k miles for work on many short trips. Could easily spend over $5k on these. So this person could up from FO to GM or PM with some MRs.
Agreed if they had Segments rollover I would be set for the next 5 years. I do 10 west coast trips or less a year, I mostly do minimums at 6 segments a week.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.