Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Official Medallion Qualification Update Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Official Medallion Qualification Update Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2018, 5:29 pm

Programs: N/A
I'm flying Delta Transcon Business (C Class) and only earning 3800 MQMs for a $1,400 ticket. Am i correct to assume it would take ~7 flights to even hit silver? I recall flying AA earlier this year and hit 2nd tier in about 3-4 roundtrip flights.

Thanks!
Old Jun 24, 2018, 6:25 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by JBG89
I'm flying Delta Transcon Business (C Class) and only earning 3800 MQMs for a $1,400 ticket. Am i correct to assume it would take ~7 flights to even hit silver? I recall flying AA earlier this year and hit 2nd tier in about 3-4 roundtrip flights.

Thanks!
Just to be clear, MQMs are earned based on distance flown and have no connection with the price of the ticket.

On DL premium cabin earns 150% unless you book full fare F or J which then earn 200%. There was another thread/post recently about the history of this and how UA/AA are 200%/300% but that's just how it is.

You could use your AA Plat status to challenge for DL Gold (note that DL challenges now have an MQD component):

DL site: https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...enge.html.html

FT thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...ve-thread.html
Old Jun 24, 2018, 8:49 pm

Programs: N/A
Originally Posted by Zorak
Just to be clear, MQMs are earned based on distance flown and have no connection with the price of the ticket.

On DL premium cabin earns 150% unless you book full fare F or J which then earn 200%. There was another thread/post recently about the history of this and how UA/AA are 200%/300% but that's just how it is.

You could use your AA Plat status to challenge for DL Gold (note that DL challenges now have an MQD component):

DL site: https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...enge.html.html

FT thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...ve-thread.html
Thanks! Yes I figured that for MQMs, which is why it would seem to seem to take me up to 20 transcon RT business to hit diamond!

I understand this could be frowned upon but hopefully my revenue will make up for it for delta. I unfortunately signed up for a status match last year without having the intent on hitting plat. Would it be possible to make a new FF account just for the matching? Unsure if it would be possible and the only thing that may link me is switching existing booked flights to the new FF# (6 flights upcoming) and my known traveler number.

Thanks!
Old Jun 25, 2018, 9:05 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by JBG89
Thanks! Yes I figured that for MQMs, which is why it would seem to seem to take me up to 20 transcon RT business to hit diamond!
JFK-SFO-JFK is a bit over 5k miles, so for a discount D1 ticket you'd get 7.5k MQM. 17 round trips would be enough for diamond (MQDs notwithstanding). 2586 miles each way, * 1.5 MQM multiplier for discount D1 = 7758 MQM round trip.

I understand this could be frowned upon but hopefully my revenue will make up for it for delta. I unfortunately signed up for a status match last year without having the intent on hitting plat. Would it be possible to make a new FF account just for the matching? Unsure if it would be possible and the only thing that may link me is switching existing booked flights to the new FF# (6 flights upcoming) and my known traveler number.

I'm not sure what you're asking in the first part of this. You expect your revenue to be high and you want to qualify just on MQDs and ignore MQMs? There have been a very small number of anecdotal reports of people getting bumped up like this but only in cases where they were extremely close to the MQM threshholds.

Status match rules are clearly outlined on the website:

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...challenge.html

You are eligible to participate in our Status Match Challenge if you meet ALL of the following criteria:

You have not received a Status Match or complimentary Medallion Status in the past three years, unless the complimentary Medallion Status was through your Million Miler Status
You currently have elite status with a qualifying airline that was earned through that airline’s published requirements (complimentary status or status earned through a promotion does not qualify)
You are able to present both a valid, current elite credential and a statement showing your earned elite status
Old Sep 18, 2018, 9:28 pm

Programs: DL PM, Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
this is a really stupid question - so much so that I don't even know what to search for to try and find the answer. it's been my understanding that as soon as you cross both the MQM and MQD threshold for a particular medallion level, you earn that level and immediately get the benefits. is there a delay in the listed "your 2018 status" to change to the new level? I crossed the threshold for GM on a flight yesterday and it says my 2019 level is GM but it still says my 2018 status is FO. sorry for the completely stupid question but just making sure i'm not misunderstanding or misreading the DL site
Old Sep 18, 2018, 11:23 pm

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by gitismatt
is there a delay in the listed "your 2018 status" to change to the new level? I crossed the threshold for GM on a flight yesterday and it says my 2019 level is GM but it still says my 2018 status is FO.
Although the "next year" status updates as soon as the MQMs/MQDs post, the current year status usually only updates overnight. Check again in the morning
Old Sep 19, 2018, 9:13 am

Still no way to refuse a status upgrade right? I'm a consistent silver and had a healthy rollover last year, which was going to get me to gold this year. Now with some unexpected amex spending, I'm going to be making platinum in the next few weeks as I get the mqm's for the 25k spend and 50k spend and end up with about 80k mqms. I'd kind of prefer just staying gold next year and having a nice headstart to gold again for 2020, but I'm guessing I'm going platinum whether I want to or not?
Old Sep 19, 2018, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by devans999
Still no way to refuse a status upgrade right? I'm a consistent silver and had a healthy rollover last year, which was going to get me to gold this year. Now with some unexpected amex spending, I'm going to be making platinum in the next few weeks as I get the mqm's for the 25k spend and 50k spend and end up with about 80k mqms. I'd kind of prefer just staying gold next year and having a nice headstart to gold again for 2020, but I'm guessing I'm going platinum whether I want to or not?
I take it you've already hit the boost thresholds, i.e. it's too late to shift the spend to another credit card?
Old Sep 19, 2018, 11:44 am

I think I could shift that second 10k bonus, but doing the math with my remaining flights already booked, appears to put me around 75900 mqm. Probably nothing I can do about it now. May as well commit to the second 10k to get as much as a head start as I can.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 12:08 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
I think I could shift that second 10k bonus, but doing the math with my remaining flights already booked, appears to put me around 75900 mqm. Probably nothing I can do about it now. May as well commit to the second 10k to get as much as a head start as I can.
You could probably take your SkyMiles number off the tickets before you fly, but then you would lose the credit for MQMs, MQDs, and SkyMiles. I'd just run with it and enjoy the status.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 4:37 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Why not halt spending on the DL AX PL card now?

Problem solved.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 10:22 am

Programs: DL PM
NYC-based FO for two years in a row.

Looks like I'll be $241 short of Gold after holiday travels. Paid up to C+ on some upcoming transcons, and am not ready to take the $900 plunge on D1 FCM.

Is a quick day trip to BOS/DCA my best bet?
Old Nov 1, 2018, 8:02 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVP Gold
I am based in BUD, so hopefully I only need MQMs no MQDs. I need 4.000 more for gold. I have a cheap (500USD) option to fly BUD-AMS-LAX//LAX-CDG-BUD, all flights operated by either KLM or AF, all segments earning 100% MQMs. I would just fly for a quick weekend visit, Friday outbound, return on Sunday. Whenever I fly delta partners, my miles are getting credited only 5-7 days later. However on this flight I could already reach gold on my outbound, so for the return I could enjoy the lounges at LAX and CDG as a GM. Is there any way to let Delta know, that I need my miles to be added to my account as soon as possible? Or its not how it works? thanks.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 7:22 am

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Originally Posted by e30st
I am based in BUD, so hopefully I only need MQMs no MQDs. I need 4.000 more for gold. I have a cheap (500USD) option to fly BUD-AMS-LAX//LAX-CDG-BUD, all flights operated by either KLM or AF, all segments earning 100% MQMs. I would just fly for a quick weekend visit, Friday outbound, return on Sunday. Whenever I fly delta partners, my miles are getting credited only 5-7 days later. However on this flight I could already reach gold on my outbound, so for the return I could enjoy the lounges at LAX and CDG as a GM. Is there any way to let Delta know, that I need my miles to be added to my account as soon as possible? Or its not how it works? thanks.
not likely. you won't see Gold status recognized until the miles post
Old Nov 3, 2018, 8:21 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, SPG

I am currently platinum medallion and should qualify for diamond medallion within the next two weeks.

I have yet to select my choice benefits for platinum and I am unsure what happens once I qualify for diamond. Do you get the option of additional benefits once you have already selected the platinum benefits?

I can’t seem to find any info on this. Would appreciate some guidance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.