Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Official Medallion Qualification Update Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Official Medallion Qualification Update Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2013, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by Sez_Who
I understand that M fare purchases after 3/1/13 will no longer have the 50% MQM bonus. What if the purchase is made prior to 3/1 for a flt in, say, April (or December, for that matter)? It sounds like you are saying that M fare purchases on or before 3/1 will still qualify for the 50% bonus but it would be nice if you can confirm that.
The website is pretty clear that for DL marketed flights the rules change for fares *purchased* after 3/1 (so fares purchased before, even those flown in early 2014, fall under the old rules).
Old Jan 17, 2013, 9:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by pbarnette
The bolded portion is incorrect. You need to change it to read: "Buying a ticket for flights marketed by another carrier when that ticket does NOT start with #006."
No I don't as DL marked flights ALWAYS start with 006.
And flights marked by another carrier NEVER start with 006.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by dieuwer2
That's false. You can definitely have DL coded flights on AF/KL tickets (and other stock too).
Old Jan 17, 2013, 9:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Builderman
You can definitely have DL coded flights on AF/KL tickets (and other stock too).
It is not about "coded", it is about "marketed".
And "marketed" is the same as "issued":

According to IATA rules: "The 3-digit accounting code at the beginning of the ticket number identifies the issuing airline".

Programs: AA Platinum, Delta Platinum, SPG/Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Isn't there a plus-side for those that may have flown too many miles in a year? Now you can rollover those extra miles by not spending. So, if you are comfortable with a lower medallion status you can rollover more of those miles. For example, I get upgraded fairly consistently out of Phoenix as a GM. This year I am going to flying close to qualify for PM. If I decide that I'd rather have the 25K rollover MQMs and not PM, all I would have to do is spend less.

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Marriott Rewards, Emerald Club
Originally Posted by flyingdoc747
^^^Word, seriously! AMEX is hardly accepted by any of my home and car loan companies. Let's jump ship now to *A or One World before it's too late.
Do you actually travel for work? In a normal travel week, I spend $500 on a flight, $400 on rental car, $400 on a hotel and $200 on food/entertainment. That's $1500 per week of travel all on the Delta AMEX. So if you just traveled two weeks a month, that's more than $25k. It's not irresponsible, it's actually traveling for work and being smart enough to stick to a single credit card.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 9:41 am

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by dcsnowwake
so you spend 12k but only fly like 25k miles, your shite to Delta?
Yes, Silver Medallion shite.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Dwayne, you say that redemption levels will remain the same yet you also say you will keep us posted with future updates. I take that to mean redemption levels are changing and DL is just holding back on telling us. It would not be the first time Delta has pulled a bait and switch on us like this. Are we to assume that our miles are essentially devalued more than a Zimbabwean dollar with this change? That has not been addressed, and the concern by frequent flyers is out of control on this issue with no clue by DL phone agents (who are still trying to cope with website complaints). Can you please clarify this for us once and for all!?
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
That's false. You can definitely have DL coded flights on AF/KL tickets (and other stock too).
How does one purchase a ticket on AF and manage to get a ticket number beginning 006?

Serious question...

According to IATA rules: "The 3-digit accounting code at the beginning of the ticket number identifies the issuing airline".
Sure, but that has nothing to do with what you said. You can have a 057 (AF) issued ticket with DL marketed (flights with a DL 1234) flights on them. You can have a 006 issued ticket with KL marketed flights on them. I fly these all the time to and from Europe. The MQD rules say you get credit for spend on both 006 issued tickets and for DL marketed flights on other ticket stock.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 9:43 am

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Indeed. Seems like gaming CCs will be the new MR. Guess that's better from their perspective, with VR churns it's CVS that's holding the bag not the airline or the CC issuer.
They make high margin (almost pure profit) from MQMs, and it's not sensitive to fuel price surges or other downturns/challenges. It's a near-guaranteed profitable revenue stream. Their core business - selling seats - is low margin and subject to all sorts of risks and fluctuations. Makes perfect sense they want to incentivize the former.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 9:44 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Another thought... for those who think this is DL's way of improving things for its "best" customers by very indirectly possibly slightly improving the UG list situation for them, remember that DL has sold pure MQMs for the last two years. That did nothing but inflate the elite ranks by promoting those who would otherwise not make a given status level.

What do both MQM sales and MQD have in common? They increase revenue to DL. Any change by DL can be seen in no other light than "what does it do for DL revenue"? At the end of the day, DL is a big, global corporation that can more or less do whatever it pleases, but I don't think there's anything to this besides money.
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
And flights marked by another carrier NEVER start with 006.
Incorrect.

It is not about "coded", it is about "marketed".
And "marketed" is the same as "issued":
DL defines "marketed" as carrying a DL code. This is explicitly spelled out in the FAQ.

Seriously people. STOP POSTING INCORRECT INFORMATION.
HRS

Programs: DL Plat. 2V Guest Rewards
Today I start to explore other airlines. Will change. Spend down my miles over the next program year. Still can't get my iPhone 4s to work on Delta.com mobile.

Programs: DL PM Reserve
Originally Posted by tkey75
What partners (that matter) other than KE have been gutted? AF, KL, and AZ all stay the same. VA actually goes up.
Thomas Key, you answered your own question.

Now you earn about the same or less than US-Europe travel on non-DL marketed flights to Asia. Most times I've looked at the comparison between DL-marketed and non-DL-marketed fares to Asia, it's been either about $1,000 more or simply double the non-DL-marketed fare.

I'm sure they make good money off of paid F/J tickets, and dropping that earn rate down to 100%/75% is a joke. Not that I would ever pay those joke fares, anyway. Seems to be a big disincentive. See how long it will last.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.