Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Official Medallion Qualification Update Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Official Medallion Qualification Update Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by DelrayChris
I don't feel duped. I know exactly what I am getting for the money I pay.
Me too but I am not the one who wants to "take out" the "phony elites" to make the club and boarding area clean of the unwashed masses. It is my belief it will not change that one bit.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by bubbashow
NOT if DL expands FCM. I think what we might see is an improvement in the F class product on the domestic side.
Which we don't know if DL will or not. Nor do we know if FCM will continue to be successful if there's less fare competition within elite levels.

Now discounting F in further markets, while the possibility of exposing DL to lower revenue levels, is given as an example of how the F cabin could see improved service levels.

That isn't fully adding up. Alaska has used a version of FCM widespread throughout their network. But AS has one of the stingiest seating and service levels in the F cabin of the major airlines. FCM hasn't improved the F experience on AS to any measurable degree.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:55 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by CJKatl
For two years, I've posted many, many times about the inequitable treatment given segments qualifiers. It just didn't make sense that DL would be giving more preferential treatment to less profitable customers. With the move to a minimum spend requirement, it seems DL agreed that there was a problem there. This new requirement will not impact segments qualifiers, as most, if not all, of us spend at least $100/segment.
Of course you realize your treatment will continue to be inequitable in terms of the medallion level you qualify for and segment credit. It will merely "thin the herd" (in the vernacular) by some undetermined percentage.

If you were being given additional segment credit for your spend or for spend at certain fare levels, this would be a win for segment qualifiers.

Instead, segment qualifiers are in the position of cheering that others are losing. Take out the phony elites, as others have said. The danger here is that the definition of phony elites is subject to further redefinition in the future. Anybody taking bets on what happens to spending thresholds for the 2015 qualification year?

Originally Posted by javabytes
If DL hates people buying sub-$500 TATL fares so much, I'd say it's more of a reason they should fire the analyst that published them, or the analyst that planned so much excess capacity that necessitated the fire sale.
^ ^ ^

David
Old Jan 21, 2013, 1:09 pm

Programs: DL DM
Has anyone noticed that DL removed the total MQM's from the page where you book your flight?
Old Jan 21, 2013, 1:14 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by pbarnette
Yes. Memphis is poor and small and poorly situated relative to other potential hubs. DL made the only rational choice and Memphis's civic leaders did their constituents a disservice by pretending that their position as a hub was sustainable. If Memphis wants a hub, they need leaders willing to stimulate the local economy and encourage population growth.
The Memphis MSA is hardly poor.

Median household income is higher than Miami-Ft. Lauderdale and, well, lots of places.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highes..._United_States

MEM is a great airport, and FedEx pays most of the cost to run the place. It was a great hub prior until "capacity discipline" spelled its doom.

You might keep that in mind next time in ATL when your flight is number 178 in line to take off, or after you have parked for 30 minutes waiting for a gate to open up.

I agree, however, DL has no one to blame for dilution but themselves.

27,000 MQM's for less than $500 is DL's fault and was a way for them to generate revenue.

Well, the unintended - or intended - consequence is that there are too many elites flying on cheap fares.
It's not 27K MQMs, it's 27K banked miles or RDMs.

Originally Posted by Builderman
I don't know what constitutes defense or praise, but revenue based redemptions are coming.

The whole idea of award travel is predicated on taking seats the airline would fail to save anyways and making them available as a reward. Between capacity cuts, rising yields, and pricing the premium cabins to actually sell (FCM) there simply aren't very many empty seats today. While exploiting the difference in the pricing of premium cabins in miles vs. dollars has been great for many of us, those days are coming to an end.
Apparently you didn't get the memo about how LedgeT is completely and irrevocably wrong.

Currently you have a greyhound quality cabin full of Greyhound quality people all of which are enchanted by the F printed on their boarding pass which they normally couldn't afford and are clueless to the fact there is nothing first class about the experience
God bless you and your opinions about travelers who are lower class than you are. I guess it's important to keep those "Greyhound people" and the "trash in the lounge" people in line. For me, ignorance is bliss if you get my drift. Adios.

David

Last edited by DiverDave; Jan 21, 2013 at 1:32 pm
Old Jan 21, 2013, 1:15 pm

I don't feel duped. I know exactly what I am getting for the money I pay.
Nor do I lol. For some of you worried about the same tired seats, you are getting awfully worked up over the new program. if it doesn't matter to you why not just give up the elite program altogether. You argue one side then the other.

as for loss leader fares I don't deny they need to exist however I don't believe people need to become elite from them
Old Jan 21, 2013, 1:23 pm

I am thrilled with my business class experience on Delta. are there better front cabins out there? sure but it's infinitely better than domestic first....in no small part due to the fact they limit who can get up there. They are upgrading the right people and creating a premium revenue driver. I believe and I could be wrong that if first class domestic revenues improve the experience will improve as well. Currently you have a greyhound quality cabin full of Greyhound quality people all of which are enchanted by the F printed on their boarding pass which they normally couldn't afford and are clueless to the fact there is nothing first class about the experience
Old Jan 21, 2013, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by bsagator
Has anyone noticed that DL removed the total MQM's from the page where you book your flight?
Yup, but everyone else who is still participating in this thread is too busy arguing with each other instead of watching what is happening...
Old Jan 21, 2013, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by rylan
Yup, but everyone else who is still participating in this thread is too busy arguing with each other instead of watching what is happening...
I personally hope they are removing the LUT fares from 100 percent qualification. that would really send some of you for a loop. Lol
Old Jan 21, 2013, 1:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by DiverDave
The Memphis MSA is hardly poor.
Except it is - objectively, it is poor.

Median household income is higher than Miami-Ft. Lauderdale and, well, lots of places.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highes..._United_States
Who said Miami was rich? What it is, though, is almost 4 times larger than Memphis.

MEM is a great airport, and FedEx pays most of the cost to run the place.
What is this, Field of Dreams? PIT is a great airport too, but nobody is knocking down the doors to turn it back into a hub.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 1:45 pm

I believe and I could be wrong that if first class domestic revenues improve the experience will improve as well.
There's as much of a chance of DL improving domestic First Class through a combination of expanded sales of FCM plus less competition for F within elite levels, as there is of Carol Merrill appearing at your front door wearing nothing other than a fur coat by Dicker & Dicker of Beverly Hills.

DL will only improve domestic First if they have to for competitive reasons.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 1:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by AeroWesty
There's as much of a chance of DL improving domestic First Class through a combination of expanded sales of FCM plus less competition for F within elite levels, as there is of Carol Merrill appearing at your front door wearing nothing other than a fur coat by Dicker & Dicker of Beverly Hills.

DL will only improve domestic First if they have to for competitive reasons.
I doubt there will ever even be competitive reasons to do improve it. I simply can't see there being any substantial demand for an improved F product on more than a handful of routes, which are the routes seeing the arms race today (NYC-West Coast).
Old Jan 21, 2013, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by pbarnette
Who said Miami was rich? What it is, though, is almost 4 times larger than Memphis.
Miami is a cesspool, IMHO. Nice place to visit, but not to live.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
I am thrilled with my business class experience on Delta. are there better front cabins out there? sure but it's infinitely better than domestic first....in no small part due to the fact they limit who can get up there. They are upgrading the right people and creating a premium revenue driver. I believe and I could be wrong that if first class domestic revenues improve the experience will improve as well. Currently you have a greyhound quality cabin full of Greyhound quality people all of which are enchanted by the F printed on their boarding pass which they normally couldn't afford and are clueless to the fact there is nothing first class about the experience
Even SQ let the F freeloaders in their cabin and yet they still have one of the best if not the best F product in the industry (with award tickets and RGN fares)
Old Jan 21, 2013, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Even SQ let the F freeloaders in their cabin and yet they still have one of the best if not the best F product in the industry (with award tickets and RGN fares)
Awards are not free. I I am sure they had no choice on the RGN fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.