Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Official Medallion Qualification Update Thread

The Official Medallion Qualification Update Thread

Old Dec 27, 2017, 8:35 pm

Programs: Hilton
Showing Platinum and Diamond Choice Rewards

Hi all,

I just qualified for Diamond Medallion for the first time. When I go to my choice benefits page it's showing that I can select 1 Platinum Benefit and 3 Diamond Benefits.... Is this a bug or am I missing something here?
Old Dec 27, 2017, 9:19 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by patoirish
Hi all,

I just qualified for Diamond Medallion for the first time. When I go to my choice benefits page it's showing that I can select 1 Platinum Benefit and 3 Diamond Benefits.... Is this a bug or am I missing something here?
If you were asking about the PM benefit: You get one PM Choice Benefit for making PM. They don't remove it when you become DM. i.e. DMs get both the PM and DM benefits. Enjoy!

If you were asking about 3 DM benefits vs. 2: that's new for the 2018 Medallion year. They removed the automatic Sky Club membership, but added a 3rd choice to make up for it. If you have Sky Club access through other means such as a DL Reserve card or unbranded AMEX Plat card then you effectively get an extra benefit.

p.s. be sure to understand the validity periods of each type of benefit, e.g. certificates expire a year from selection, so don't select them until you need them. But other benefits like Sky Club memberships or gifting status, you'd probably want to do sooner rather than later.

p.p.s. happy 5+ year de-lurking!
Old Dec 27, 2017, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Zorak
If you were asking about 3 DM benefits vs. 2: that's new for the 2018 Medallion year. They removed the automatic Sky Club membership, but added a 3rd choice to make up for it. If you have Sky Club access through other means such as a DL Reserve card or unbranded AMEX Plat card then you effectively get an extra benefit.
Sort of. I have Amex Platinum, which gets me into Sky Club (and I used one DM benefit to "upgrade" so I can get two guests). But that's not quite as good as a real Sky Club membership: it didn't get me into the KLM lounge at AMS. (Nor did arriving in J, unfortunately.)
Old Dec 27, 2017, 10:34 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA
Originally Posted by sethb
Sort of. I have Amex Platinum, which gets me into Sky Club (and I used one DM benefit to "upgrade" so I can get two guests). But that's not quite as good as a real Sky Club membership: it didn't get me into the KLM lounge at AMS. (Nor did arriving in J, unfortunately.)
If you are DM, then you should also be Sky Team Elite Plus. That gets you into the KLM lounge in AMS. Were you flying DL/KLM?
Old Dec 27, 2017, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by OroroT
If you are DM, then you should also be Sky Team Elite Plus. That gets you into the KLM lounge in AMS. Were you flying DL/KLM?
I was flying DL. The Agent said that arriving in J on DL didn't get me in.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's no arrival lounge access benefit for Skyteam Elite Plus members unless you are connecting to another Skyteam flight. From DL website --

"Note: SkyTeam Elite Plus benefits are provided only at the departure airport and not at the arrival airport unless connecting to a qualifying SkyTeam flight."
Old Dec 29, 2017, 2:45 am

Programs: UA Slvr, DL Slvr, AA plt, HH LTD, MR tit/LTP at least two of those buy 10 get 1 free coffee cards
Will fall $153 MQD short of plat. Can I just give them $153? Working the next few days so a MQD run isn't happening. Have a DL AMEX Plat and was at 22k spend. Can easily throw another 3k on there by Dec 31 if it will count.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 9:56 am

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA
Originally Posted by aroundtheworld76
Will fall $153 MQD short of plat. Can I just give them $153? Working the next few days so a MQD run isn't happening. Have a DL AMEX Plat and was at 22k spend. Can easily throw another 3k on there by Dec 31 if it will count.
If you can make purchases that will post in time, getting your card to 25K makes the most sense, and sounds like your only option anyway. Otherwise sounds like you would go into 2018 with a lot of rollover miles.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 11:38 am

Programs: UA Slvr, DL Slvr, AA plt, HH LTD, MR tit/LTP at least two of those buy 10 get 1 free coffee cards
If you can make purchases that will post in time, getting your card to 25K makes the most sense, and sounds like your only option anyway. Otherwise sounds like you would go into 2018 with a lot of rollover miles.
That's my thought too. Been meaning to put down a deposit on an Antarctica trip. Might as well do it tonight.
Vegas Vegan likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 5:44 pm

OK nobody laugh but I need two more MQS to finish my status match by mid-January.

Anyone know if I can use WestJet flights (after Jan. 1, 2018) towards MQS?
The website talks about percentages for MQMs... but I don't want 0.25 MQS.

Thanks!!
Old Dec 31, 2017, 5:35 pm

Programs: Hilton
Originally Posted by Zorak
If you were asking about the PM benefit: You get one PM Choice Benefit for making PM. They don't remove it when you become DM. i.e. DMs get both the PM and DM benefits. Enjoy!

p.s. be sure to understand the validity periods of each type of benefit, e.g. certificates expire a year from selection, so don't select them until you need them. But other benefits like Sky Club memberships or gifting status, you'd probably want to do sooner rather than later.

p.p.s. happy 5+ year de-lurking!
Thanks Zorak! You did answer my question - I didn’t realize that DM members ALSO got the PM choice benefit. That’s exciting news!

I also didn’t realize I had been lurking for that long
Old Jun 1, 2018, 2:27 pm

Programs: DL Million Miler
Last year I avoided getting to 125k MQM's so I could stay Platinum with lots of rollover miles. This year I am very close to 125k miles, but with the new $250,000 MQD waiver for Diamond, I am assuming that I can safely go over that threshold. I'm also figuring, if I do, that I'll get a full rollover of anything over the 75k miles that will qualify me for Plat again.

So (somebody please reassure me):
1) I'll hit > 125k MQMs, but I'll keep Plat status, because my Amex spend is a fraction of the 125k (and my MQD's are low)?
2) I'll also then roll over >50k miles?

I know, I know this should be obvious. But us obsessive-compulsive types need confirmation.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 11:59 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by SpinzCity
Last year I avoided getting to 125k MQM's so I could stay Platinum with lots of rollover miles. This year I am very close to 125k miles, but with the new $250,000 MQD waiver for Diamond, I am assuming that I can safely go over that threshold. I'm also figuring, if I do, that I'll get a full rollover of anything over the 75k miles that will qualify me for Plat again.

So (somebody please reassure me):
1) I'll hit > 125k MQMs, but I'll keep Plat status, because my Amex spend is a fraction of the 125k (and my MQD's are low)?
2) I'll also then roll over >50k miles?

I know, I know this should be obvious. But us obsessive-compulsive types need confirmation.
This is all accurate, provided that you also remain below $15K MQDs (and just to spell it out, assuming of course you either hit Plat MQDs or spend $25,000-$249,999 on a DL-branded AMEX but that seemed implicit in your conditions)
Old Jun 14, 2018, 12:09 pm

Programs: DL PM
Question answered (post removed).

Last edited by umbrella007; Jun 14, 2018 at 3:59 pm
Old Jun 23, 2018, 9:42 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond
Oops delete

Last edited by cboy; Jun 24, 2018 at 1:49 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.