Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Official Medallion Qualification Update Thread

The Official Medallion Qualification Update Thread

Old Jan 17, 2013, 7:02 am

Also no MQD rollover.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 7:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...lars-faqs.html

This is a serious blow to Skyteam. For instance, if you buy an AF or KL ticket on their stock it will NOT earn MQDs.
Actually this makes sense in terms of DL's ability to track how much has been spent without relying on partners to report it accurately in addition to miles.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 7:03 am

This is a serious blow to Skyteam. For instance, if you buy an AF or KL ticket on their stock it will NOT earn MQDs.
Ouch. Guess I better start looking at other FFPs then
Old Jan 17, 2013, 7:05 am
c_d

Programs: Feels like FO (AA EXP)

Originally Posted by jrkmsp
Well, this answers some of your questions. In short, MQDs won't be issued for SkyTeam flights unless you buy the flight through Delta.

And million miler is not affected, it says.

More: https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...ars-faqs.html#
What about the re-issue to 074 when an EU-based FF is hit with a schedule change? What about the AFKLM connecting flights that we are advised to book directly wit AF because DL cannot ticket it?
Old Jan 17, 2013, 7:06 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
It's hit the wires:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/delta-...140000338.html

"Medallion level earning to focus on providing high value customers an even more exclusive SkyMiles Medallion program experience"
Old Jan 17, 2013, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Actually this makes sense in terms of DL's ability to track how much has been spent without relying on partners to report it accurately in addition to miles.
It's a major hit for those of us who use routes that can't be ticketed on DL stock (e.g. AF's TGV codeshares to nearby European cities). Also given the best-in-class IT the TATL JV has I would strongly prefer to be on the operating carrier's ticket stock when something goes wrong.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 7:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In many ways, the rules for calculating MQDs are similar to how CO handled the spend requirement for their short-lived Presidential Platinum level.

The amounts are similar to the numbers that I remember UA announcing about a year ago.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 7:15 am
Suspended

I think this is going to bring a major war between Alaska and DL elites.
Why? Because AS elites do not have a MQD requirement and thus it is more "valuable" than toiling to be a DL elite by trying to hit MQD spend.

Can you imagine talking to a AS FO sitting in the DL exit row while you are DL FO with 50,000 MQMs because you didn't spend $5K that year??

HAHAHA.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Consolildator/Group/Unpublished Fares

Much like not earning full MQM...

Certain specialty tickets, including but not limited to unpublished, consolidator, group/tour and opaque fare products will not count toward MQDs.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Surprise, better not book a codeshare flight on other stock or you get screwed! Sucks for those who actually book expensive tickets on ST partners to Asia or EU, or who are forced into a 074 ticket due to a schedule change.

Also note that 'ancillary purchases' do NOT count to spend
No. Ancillary purchases or fees including but not limited to checked baggage fees, Economy Comfort™ seat purchases, Priority Boarding, Delta Sky Club® memberships, Wi-Fi passes, in-flight food and beverage purchases, in-flight entertainment, unaccompanied minor fees, pet travel fees, Mileage Booster™, ticket change fees, Direct Ticketing Charge (DTC), Same Day Confirmed Fee, Administrative Service Charge (ASC), External Reissue Charge (ERC), and Standby Upgrades purchased at the gate, do not count toward earning MQDs
Old Jan 17, 2013, 7:17 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
DwayneSkyMiles...

Why do F and J count for double MQM but single MQS??????
Old Jan 17, 2013, 7:18 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
So for people who live overseas it's the same as before?
Old Jan 17, 2013, 7:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
In many ways, the rules for calculating MQDs are similar to how CO handled the spend requirement for their short-lived Presidential Platinum level.
And it isn't terribly different from the way BA, for example, manages their minimum "qualifying flight" requirement, though the minimum spend is certainly higher. The allowance for other flights if booked on DL stock - not just codeshares - is actually a pleasant surprise to me.

All in all, I don't see this as a huge blow. There are some folks that will be caught out, but this seems a reasonable response to DL's need for the FF program to actually reward, you know, spending with DL.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 7:21 am
Company Representative - Delta Air Lines
Original Poster

The updates have been added to delta.com. Information about the changes to MQMs earned can be found at http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...ith-delta.html and more information regarding MQDs can be found at www.delta.com/mqds. These updates were published a few minutes ago. Most of your questions are answered in the FAQs section on the MQDs page. I have noticed some questions in the tread started yesterday that are not addressed. I am working on getting those added to the page.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by pbarnette
All in all, I don't see this as a huge blow. There are some folks that will be caught out, but this seems a reasonable response to DL's need for the FF program to actually reward, you know, spending with DL.
Not counting AF/KL ticketed TATL flights is a pretty big blow. The exact same amount of money goes to DL either way due to the JV, but ticket on non-DL stock for whatever reason and you lose big.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.