Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Official Medallion Qualification Update Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Official Medallion Qualification Update Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2015, 4:31 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dsokolik
Question for the experts on here. I'm going to hit the Gold qualifications by segments but i'm looking at approximately $50 short in MQD. Any advice?? Will they show some flexibility with that given that i'm so close? Do the paid upgrades to C+ count towards MQD and if so, should I just buy that for a couple of upcoming segments? Any other ideas?
Yes paid upgrades to C+ do count. Also, any decent FCM offers? That would count too.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dsokolik
Question for the experts on here. I'm going to hit the Gold qualifications by segments but i'm looking at approximately $50 short in MQD. Any advice?? Will they show some flexibility with that given that i'm so close? Do the paid upgrades to C+ count towards MQD and if so, should I just buy that for a couple of upcoming segments? Any other ideas?
Expect zero flexibility. The days of "bump ups" for those who are close are long gone (most likely due to the advent of MQM rollover). DL doesn't know if you are intentionally holding short of the MQD threshold for an extra 25K MQM rollovers next year, or if you are willing to sacrifice those rollover MQM's in exchange for Gold status (instead of Silver). If you want the Gold status, you should make sure you meet the MQD threshold.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 12:11 pm

Programs: AA-Exec Plat, Marriott-Lifetime Plat, National-Exec Elite, Delta- Platinum
I am an AAdvantage Executive Platinum and cannot believe Delta turned down my request for a Trial Diamond status and only offered Platinum. YTD 2015 I have 232 segments, 195,000 actual flown miles, and >$35,000 in ticket spend. There are three of us who work together and are at about the same levels. They said it wouldn't be fair. Excuse me! To whom? I already have more miles, $$ and segments than most of their current Diamonds and they don't want my business.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DL does not have "Trial Diamond" program as you can see by this chart -- http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...challenge.html
Old Nov 20, 2015, 8:15 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Gone4Weeks
I am an AAdvantage Executive Platinum and cannot believe Delta turned down my request for a Trial Diamond status and only offered Platinum. YTD 2015 I have 232 segments, 195,000 actual flown miles, and >$35,000 in ticket spend. There are three of us who work together and are at about the same levels. They said it wouldn't be fair. Excuse me! To whom? I already have more miles, $$ and segments than most of their current Diamonds and they don't want my business.
You should go check out the thread in the Hyatt forum about them offering Diamond (their top tier) to people from other hotel chains.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by Gone4Weeks
AFAIK, DL has not offered challenges for DM.
Perhaps you could look into Delta Jets? I believe it comes with DM status.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 3:09 am

Hi and happy thanksgiving. Am in Boston and need about 10K MQM to hit gold status. Questions:

1 Worth it to get the extra 10K MQM to be qualified for the Gold status?
2. If yes to Q1, should I do a MQM run? Found that I could get a bos-lax-hnl-atl-bos (a trip to Hawaii and back) and that will cost me about 1000 dollars. Good idea? If not, what other options would be good?
Thank you everyone.
hkb
Old Nov 27, 2015, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
The standard for mileage runs is $0.05/MQM.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 9:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by hongkongboy
Hi and happy thanksgiving. Am in Boston and need about 10K MQM to hit gold status. Questions:

1 Worth it to get the extra 10K MQM to be qualified for the Gold status?
2. If yes to Q1, should I do a MQM run? Found that I could get a bos-lax-hnl-atl-bos (a trip to Hawaii and back) and that will cost me about 1000 dollars. Good idea? If not, what other options would be good?
Thank you everyone.
hkb
This site usually has pretty good runs:

http://renespoints.boardingarea.com/...age-run-deals/

Do you currently have (or have ever had) a Delta Reserve card? If not, you're eligible for the 10K MQM signup bonus that comes with it. It carries a $450 annual fee, but gives you the needed MQMs, along with Sky Club access.

If you're not able to get the card, a run may not be worth TBH. GMs will have a much tougher time getting C+ seats next year, and the upgrade percentages are in the toilet. If you're going to travel enough next year to justify it, then by all means (especially if you SDC a lot). Just keep in mind that the jump from FO to GM is not as big of a leap as it used to be.

Last edited by KDCAflyer; Nov 28, 2015 at 9:57 am
Old Nov 29, 2015, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by WWads

Do you currently have (or have ever had) a Delta Reserve card? If not, you're eligible for the 10K MQM signup bonus that comes with it. It carries a $450 annual fee, but gives you the needed MQMs, along with Sky Club access.

If you're not able to get the card, a run may not be worth TBH. GMs will have a much tougher time getting C+ seats next year, and the upgrade percentages are in the toilet. If you're going to travel enough next year to justify it, then by all means (especially if you SDC a lot). Just keep in mind that the jump from FO to GM is not as big of a leap as it used to be.
Thanks. When you refer to the Delta Reserve card do you mean the business version?

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/s.../delta-reserve

The regular version requires me to spend 30K during the calendar year before I get the 10K MQM, which is apparently too much to ask for...

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...ards-learnmore

Thank you.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 7:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by hongkongboy
Thanks. When you refer to the Delta Reserve card do you mean the business version?

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/s.../delta-reserve

The regular version requires me to spend 30K during the calendar year before I get the 10K MQM, which is apparently too much to ask for...

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...ards-learnmore

Thank you.
No, the regular version gives you 10K MQM after the first purchase. You can earn additional MQMs through spending, but only one purchase is needed to get the signup bonus.

You are eligible to get the signup bonus only if you have never had this particular card before.

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...a-credit-card/
Old Nov 29, 2015, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by WWads

Thank you... If I own a delta gold skymile card (not reserve), am I still qualified to get 10K complimentary MQM?
(Edit: Called Delta, they said yes).
Thank you.
hkb

Last edited by hongkongboy; Nov 29, 2015 at 8:12 am
Old Nov 30, 2015, 12:20 am

Does anyone understand the rules for the non-US MQD waiver - there is not a lot of information except for saying there is a waiver.

Last edited by gammydodger; Dec 5, 2015 at 12:21 pm
Old Nov 30, 2015, 12:27 am

Originally Posted by rwoman
SkyMiles members with addresses outside the USA (for example, I live in the UK) are exempt from the MQD requirement.
When does the Medallion status for 2016 update if you're non-US resident?
Old Dec 1, 2015, 10:09 am

I made Diamond after after being Platinum for most of the year.

Any idea why this would be? From "My Skymiles" page:

- 2016 Status: FEB 01 2016 — JAN 31 2017
- Congratulations. You've achieved Diamond Medallion status.
- MQMs: 157,755

Then down below:

- Includes 22,567 Rollover MQMs

157,755 - 125,000 = 32,755, so the rollover miles appear short by 10,188 MQMs.

I am a newbie here, so my apologies if I am missing something obvious. I have enough MQDs, plus the credit card waiver.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.