Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Official Medallion Qualification Update Thread

The Official Medallion Qualification Update Thread

Old Oct 7, 14, 6:42 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bdschobel View Post
Eliminating meaningful distinctions among GM, PM and DM is hardly encouraging people to fly Delta more. They might as well stop at GM and fly another airline after reaching that threshold. Of course, I realize that there are other distinctions that remain. I'm just focusing right now on the narrow issue of mileage-earning.
Playing your ‘narrow issue’ game, you could also claim that someone should stop at GM because they receive the same Sky Priority/STE+ benefits as PM/DM. Sure, they don’t get choice benefits/extra RDM’s/more upgrades/better phone line/etc but let’s not let facts get in the way of a good argument. Better to cherry pick the minor distinctions.

If you really believe what you are saying, you would stop at GM and fly another airline. Can’t imagine you would ever do that, no?
Old Oct 7, 14, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA MM, BV Titanium, HH Diamond
It's kind of hard to focus "on the narrow issue of mileage-earning" without considering what those miles bring in terms of availability, partners, and such.

Of course, to some of us, the mileage programs are irrelevant when it comes to choosing an airline. For many business travelers, where they go, how frequently, with what equipment, how reliable are they, and how do they treat me are what counts.
Old Oct 7, 14, 4:18 pm
Moderator: Marriott Bonvoy & Travel with Children

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Very true, which is why I am so loyal to Delta.

Bruce
Old Nov 4, 14, 9:59 am

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
Delta Gold - MQM needed location / credit card question

My partner has residence in the U.S. but lives/works in China much of the year.

He needs 14k MQM by the end of the year to keep Gold status. He will fly to the U.S. in December and get 1/2 of what he needs. But not return til the new year.

Would it make sense to get the Delta Platinum Card (which provides 5k MQM)? That would pretty much fill the gap.

One issue is that the card would be US address, but his Delta address is in China (for PQD purposes)

Would create problems?

Thanks.
Old Nov 5, 14, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 1MM, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Bear4Asian View Post
Would it make sense to get the Delta Platinum Card (which provides 5k MQM)? That would pretty much fill the gap.

One issue is that the card would be US address, but his Delta address is in China (for PQD purposes)

Would create problems?
So your partner wants to take advantage of DL offering for US residents but also exploit working abroad and using the Chinese address because of MQDs?

If they have a US address (and bank), then they should be able to apply for a DL Plat Amex.

If DL were to audit their account for MQDs, they might wonder why someone claiming MQD exemption by living aborad is now applying for US credit cards with a US address.
Old Nov 20, 14, 5:31 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Star Alliance Silver, Starwood Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
I just thought I'd share that I will qualify for Gold (for the first time) on a return flight on on December 31! The only thing that deflates the celebration slightly is based on the 2015 system I would have been Platinum There's always next year!
Old Nov 20, 14, 8:59 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by bml86 View Post
I just thought I'd share that I will qualify for Gold (for the first time) on a return flight on on December 31! The only thing that deflates the celebration slightly is based on the 2015 system I would have been Platinum There's always next year!
2015 Qualification is the same as 2014 (except, I guess, the higher MQD requirements).
Old Nov 20, 14, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Plat, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Hey congratulations! Hope it works out well for you next year
Old Nov 21, 14, 7:28 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Star Alliance Silver, Starwood Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
@TheMadBrewer - aren't MQM's earned based on dollars spent rather than miles flown?
@CMK10 Thank you
Old Nov 22, 14, 11:51 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
@TheMadBrewer - aren't MQM's earned based on dollars spent rather than miles flown?
@CMK10 Thank you
No, MQMs are still based on miles flown in 2015. Redeemable SkyMiles -- the things you exchange for a "free" ticket will be based on dollars in 2015.
Old Nov 22, 14, 11:58 am

Thanks Mad - that's not confusing or anything
Old Nov 22, 14, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA MM, BV Titanium, HH Diamond
Thanks Mad - that's not confusing or anything
Not at all. Just remember to buy your tickets in First Class and you will be fine.
Old Dec 5, 14, 5:02 am

Programs: DL PM
I'm new at the MR game and am about 12,000 mi short of re-qualifying for Gold for 2015. I've got the time to take a one day RT someplace and then buy the remainder of the MQM's-already have the MQD's. I'm now based in FLL for awhile so can anyone give me any recommendations for a one day turnaround MR that will get me the most MQM's? FLL seems to have fewer options than LAX for this type of thing.
Thanks.
Old Dec 5, 14, 12:28 pm

Programs: Delta Skymile DM, Marriott Platinum, PC Gold, Avis Chairman's Club, National EE
Often, FLL/MIA/PBI to LAX/SFO tends to be very inexpensive. Haven't checked recently.

Originally Posted by Jac747 View Post
I'm new at the MR game and am about 12,000 mi short of re-qualifying for Gold for 2015. I've got the time to take a one day RT someplace and then buy the remainder of the MQM's-already have the MQD's. I'm now based in FLL for awhile so can anyone give me any recommendations for a one day turnaround MR that will get me the most MQM's? FLL seems to have fewer options than LAX for this type of thing.
Thanks.
Old Dec 5, 14, 1:04 pm

Programs: DL Diam 2MM, HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by Jac747 View Post
recommendations for a one day turnaround MR that will get me the most MQM's? FLL seems to have fewer options than LAX for this type of thing.
Thanks.
Not super cheap but you might avoid buying MQMs with FLL-LHR. Pricing at $1142 economy out on 12/13, returning on 12/14. Or try to do it using VS premium economy (DL W). I see it for $2059, but can't find the right combination of flights. That gets you a 50% MQM bonus. And access to the VS lounges at JFK and LHR.

Search this Thread