Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Official Medallion Qualification Update Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Official Medallion Qualification Update Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by Ti22
Attacking customers who's only mistake is/was to buy and fly an offered fare. People patronize a brand, play by the rules of said brand only to be shook down in order to "pay a little more" disguised as something else.
That's not true. Anyone who buys a ticket will get exactly what he is promised, including status. Right now, you are promised that you will get the status based solely on the MQMs you earn. Starting in January 2014, unless you live outside of the US or have enough spend on your Delta Amex, you will also have to have a minimum spend for each medallion level.

You are being told that in advance. You are not making "a mistake" when you get cheaper fares -- you are still getting the flights that you want. You simply will not get the status if your spend is not high enough.

I have the same choice, but mine starts with tickets I purchase after March 1 of this year. I will still be able to buy M fares, and if there is Z availability I will still be able to upgrade with SkyMiles or SWUs, but I will not get the 50% MQM bonus. For me, this means that I will not make Platinum, probably not make Gold, and might not even make Silver.

I will have the choice, however, of paying a few hundred dollars more for each flight and buying B fares instead.

I have to decide if the extra MQMs, and the higher status, is worth the extra money for me. I still have not come to any conclusion about that.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
And you already know 2014 program benefits? They've even changed program stuff middle of the year, in the past.
Of course I dont. What I am trying to say is that I am extremely confident that right now - I am earning my 2014 status. I can not see (of course I could be wrong) that there will be any significant changes this year that will affect what status we earn for 2014.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 1:30 pm

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by Dovster
If you were Delta, which customer would you prefer? Conversely, those who are currently earning Platinum Medallion with these inexpensive flights are furious that this will not continue.
Absolutely hilarious. ludicrous, and emblematic of topsy-turvy thought in a modern day Amerika in which crony capitalism rules and corporations are people.

Consumers have preferences, suppliers have a cost function. Money is green and Delta loves it all.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by FrankLA
personally... I don't see why Delta has a partnership with AMEX, most people they want to purge are the ones with their AMEX. I doubt they make much money from their AMEX customers. There are also many CCs out there that are just way better than Delta AMEX. Which brings me to wonder why so many people have that card with minimum reward seating. You take that card away, you significantly thin the Medallion status to those who barely spend money on Delta, barely spend interests to AMEX, but enjoy the MQM and exclusive accesses. Why punish those who actually spend money on Delta like the M fares and those that only get status base on actual MQM flown.
It isn't just Delta that is in bed with credit card companies.

You can be gold with Hilton by simply having their credit card (second highest tier) and diamond (highest tier) but spending only $40K a year on their credit card.

I am Platinum with Hyatt by just having their credit card and I only spend a few nights with Hyatt a year.

IIRC, the USBank Northwest credit card gave mileage boosts. I am pretty sure all of the legacy credit cards give a free bag and priority seating to their credit card holders.

And as has been mentioned many times on FT, Am Ex gave Delta a huge cash inflow.

I don't think the rewards return is good at all on this card. I put the first $50K a year in credit card spending on this card to get the 20,000 MQMs and then the card goes in a drawer until January 1 of the next year. Seeing my Hilton visa gives me 5 pts/$ on all airline charges, I get a better return charging delta tickets on that card than I do the 2 miles/$ on the delta card.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 1:51 pm

Programs: Skymiles PM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold#1
2 questions about the new MQD rules:
- I never pay for tickets out of pocket. My company pays for them through the amex travel site. Am I screwed?

- The policy is to get the lowest fare class possible, and I have no control over that. Does this mean that even though I am platinum, I still don't get the bonus miles?
Old Jan 28, 2013, 2:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by SkanderH
- I never pay for tickets out of pocket. My company pays for them through the amex travel site. Am I screwed?
It is almost certain to be determined by how much was paid for your ticket, not by who paid for it. When I paid for my son's flight from Tel Aviv to Costa Rica, he got the SkyMiles, not me. Why would this be different?

- The policy is to get the lowest fare class possible, and I have no control over that. Does this mean that even though I am platinum, I still don't get the bonus miles?
Unless your company makes a deal with DL to pay less but without any miles being given, you should get the same bonus miles that you get today.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 2:02 pm

Programs: Delta Skymile DM, Marriott Platinum, PC Gold, Avis Chairman's Club, National EE

Nope. These will count for you.

Are your talking redeemable miles or MQM miles?

You will get all redeemable miles just like you do now.

At this point, the MQM has only changed on M fare tickets. There are rumors (only rumors!!) that SLUT fares MQM will be reduced in the future. If that happens your yearly MQM will drop and you light lose a elite level or two. I would as well. That might make me look for a different program.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by Teamstone
Are your talking redeemable miles or MQM miles?

You will get all redeemable miles just like you do now.

At this point, the MQM has only changed on M fare tickets. There are rumors (only rumors!!) that SLUT fares MQM will be reduced in the future. If that happens your yearly MQM will drop and you light lose a elite level or two. I would as well. That might make me look for a different program.
Didn't Delta reduce the MQM's on LUT fares at one time and changed the policy back FAST because of all the complaints?
Old Jan 28, 2013, 2:59 pm

Programs: Delta Skymile DM, Marriott Platinum, PC Gold, Avis Chairman's Club, National EE
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Didn't Delta reduce the MQM's on LUT fares at one time and changed the policy back FAST because of all the complaints?
Yes they did. Not sure it was because of all the complaints or that the other major FF programs didn't follow.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 3:28 pm

Delta is a perfect example of an American corporation that:

Maximizing shareholder value instead of focused on the real world of customers and products. Making changes to satisfy investors and shape an imaginary path on how the company will perform in the future which in result strengthen their stock prices.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 4:34 pm

I have not read every reply, but I have a question. I am a lowly FO spending over 10k per year. When I get the upgrade I don't drink booze. So based on what has been written and I am talking on average terms, I know there are many who spend more, but since I pay delta more and cost them less why should you be higher on the totem pole than me?
Old Jan 28, 2013, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Dovster
Because the person who forks out $7500 for that one Biz Elite itinerary is not going to be a Platinum. He is also not going to be a Gold. He might make Silver, depending on how long his itinerary is.

On the other hand, there are people who have flown over 75,000 miles on very inexpensive fares, paid $3000-$4000 for all their trips together, and become Platinum.

If you were Delta, which customer would you prefer? Conversely, those who are currently earning Platinum Medallion with these inexpensive flights are furious that this will not continue.
No question the once-a-year $7,500 BE pax is a higher yield customer... but what do they get out of Platinum status that they don't already have?

FFPs are not targeted at an airline's best customers who pay for the premium cabin and get all the perks through their ticket. They are targeted at an airline's second-best customers.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 6:15 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Attacking customers...
Holy hyperbole, Batman!

Quick, take cover, we are under attack. The enemy is blocking SC entrances and denying us UGs. How will we survive?
Old Jan 28, 2013, 7:10 pm

Programs: AA Plat Exec
Originally Posted by Teamstone
There are rumors (only rumors!!) that SLUT fares MQM will be reduced in the future. If that happens your yearly MQM will drop and you light lose a elite level or two. I would as well. That might make me look for a different program.
I had an Air France FF account and when i moved from Europe to the US, i kept using my Flying Blue FF# when flying on Delta. And then they suddenly changed the way you earned miles, and since I was purchasing my tickets using my corporate travel site (with discounted tickets), I got 25% of the miles I used to earn. Even once, I got 0% miles (with a paid ticket). So I stopped using my AF FF# and switched to a Delta one. I hope the same thing does not happen to Delta
Old Jan 28, 2013, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by CJKatl
Holy hyperbole, Batman!

Quick, take cover, we are under attack. The enemy is blocking SC entrances and denying us UGs. How will we survive?
Extra Woodford?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.