Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Official Medallion Qualification Update Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Official Medallion Qualification Update Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by dd1612
Finally Delta is admitting via back-handed way that their Rollover Program was a failure, as it introduced 'unintended' results in swelling elite ranks!
Only took them 30 months:

“Rollover miles are paying off big time. Elites are significantly ahead of where they were last year excluding rollover.”

- Jeff Robertson VP, Delta SkyMiles
(09/16/2010)
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by HongKonger
I don't have anything backward. Al lthe reasons you cited why a restaurant may refuse service constitute cause. They can't refuse someone say for being ugly.
Have you ever tried to get into a popular nightclub on Friday night?
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by wp_kid
Between the 2 other Skyteam founders (AeroMexico, Korean), seems the changes are throwing KE under the bus. 75% MQM for J fares?
Very true, but keep in mind this move just makes DL elites want to fly KE less.

Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
Delta wants a JV with KE...if and when that happens, you will see MQM earnings go back up. Until then, KE will be treated just like another ST partner with codeshares. My sense (based on NO evidence) is that KE does not seem too keen to play; they are already the largest non-US-based carrier across the Pacific and perhaps they don't quite want to share....who knows?

In any case, NRT will not see further expansion as a hub. Most of the interport flights rarely make any money, and overall Japan as an O&D market is a declining one.
I wonder what KE's response will be to this...
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:44 pm

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
I for the most part don't have a problem with the new criteria, with the exception of the taxes being excluded. Only since it will require use to trust that DL will configure that correctly and it will not match my AMEX amount spent on DL which will force me to do my own worksheet.

I had a talk with a CSR today and they did say that for that issue it could be adjusted before the it is implemented due to the amount of work invovled and was told letters will help in this situation. So I do suggest to send a letter to ask that taxes be included, even if the dollars are bumped up a bit.

JMO.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:45 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, UA Gold, AA Gold
I fly mostly for leisure (about 95%), averaging 5 cpm, and I am definitely not willing to pay more than 10 cpm for a coach fare. Even when I bought an A-fare ticket last year, it was still less than 10 cpm, even lower cpmqm. Not that I cannot afford it, but that is what constitutes value for me.

I am not really upset by this change, but based on the discussions here I found it somewhat illogical. If DL thinks that travellers like me is unprofitable, why do they want me to buy double amount of the unprofitable tickets to get the same benefits?
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:51 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by sethb
Except for the "cheap" part; Delta costs (and, for now, gets) business despite not being the cheap option.
Anecdotal and route/time specific.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 1:01 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage ExecPlat, Former DL Skymiles Diamond (MM), Marriott Lifetime Platinum
If nothing else, the fact that we now have 129 pages on this topic before the program even launches is a statement to how bloody confusing they've made it.

Just a gut feeling, but this has "fail" written all over it, at least in terms of customer satisfaction. (Confused customers are rarely happy customers)
Old Jan 24, 2013, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by DelrayChris
Can we stay on topic, please?
Apparently not.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bubbashow
Anecdotal and route/time specific.
Anecdotal, yes. A number of Medallion members have posted that we fly Delta when it isn't the cheapest because of the benefits.

As for "route/time specific", that's meaningless. My decision is biased towards Delta for every route and time. Or do you mean that Delta is sometimes cheapest? Those cases are irrelevant; I'd fly Delta then anyway.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
A restaurant is fundamentally different from an airline though in many ways.
1)Airlines-your competitors are literally right beside you (at least in YVR terminal M, in HKG they aren't too far apart in terms of terminal area/check in either.)
For a restaurant that isn't true as the next restaurant might be a few blocks away, less convenient, and they may not serve the same type of food, while all airlines offer the same product, transportation and a FFP if applicable.
2) You have the option to eat at home if you don't like the restaurant. Try canoeing yourself across the Pacific with little to no food reserves in a timely manner.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 1:11 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by DelrayChris
Can we stay on topic, please?
The main topic has been thoroughly beaten to death. Dead horses are treated more humanely. And the usual suspects have run out of anything original to say, and are now repeating the same arguments and attacks ad nauseum. I feel bad for the trash in the SkyClub waiting on their flight to IST.

I will confess that the thread has become much more civil and manageable thanks to the ignore list.

David
Old Jan 24, 2013, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by DiverDave
The main topic has been thoroughly beaten to death. Dead horses are treated more humanely. And the usual suspects have run out of anything original to say, and are now repeating the same arguments and attacks ad nauseum. I feel bad for the trash in the SkyClub waiting on their flight to IST.

I will confess that the thread has become much more civil and manageable thanks to the ignore list.

David
Don't ignore, just use logic and reasoning to attack what credibility they have.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Don't ignore, just use logic and reasoning to attack what credibility they have.
What credibility is that? The one they get by asking people who don't like the upcoming changes why they just don't leave, while at the same time having not left SkyMiles themselves when they didn't like the results from how the program has been set up for decades?
Old Jan 24, 2013, 1:38 pm

Programs: Delta Reserve - PM
Interesting...

"On Choice Seats
“When we rolled out Choice seats, we got killed [in the media]. But American rolled out the same program and there’s been nothing. Delta’s the only carrier not charging. Is it gaining us market share? At the same time, I hate them myself, so it’s tough. I do think seat assignments are the next horizon [for fees].”"
Old Jan 24, 2013, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jtrue28
Interesting...

"On Choice Seats
“When we rolled out Choice seats, we got killed [in the media]. But American rolled out the same program and there’s been nothing. Delta’s the only carrier not charging. Is it gaining us market share? At the same time, I hate them myself, so it’s tough. I do think seat assignments are the next horizon [for fees].”"
All that matters to me is not being in a middle seat and even then I won't pay for it.
Even without it I have a 2/3 chance of not getting a middle on a 77w.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.