Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Skymiles rules changes for 2013 are here (at delta.com updates, details inside)

Skymiles rules changes for 2013 are here (at delta.com updates, details inside)

Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:55 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
DL has me confused

Say I hit 126,000 MQM's a year which qualifies for DM, but my MQD is only at the GM figure (whatever that amount is), what level elite will DL consider me? Obviously not DM... Would it be PM or GM?

For me to earn 135,000 MQM a year and possibly only get to GM because of my low MQD, then just as DL makes changes to their policy, so will I (as to whom I fly).
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jetta2.0t
No one held a gun to your head and told you to buy tickets on Delta for Spring or Summer in advance. Take some personal responsibility already!! Delta can and does divulge changes at will, this isn't some secret in the airline industry..........or any industry!
It's called "breach of contract", i.e. changing the terms AFTER the purchase.

Edit to add: Just found a previous settlement between frequent fliers and Delta.

"I think the settlement infers that frequent flyers do have rights, said Randy Petersen, publishereditor of InsideFlyer magazine. A lot of people assume the airlines can change their rules at will ... but thats not so.
http://articles.cnn.com/1998-11-17/t...r?_s=PM:TRAVEL

Last edited by Canarsie; Jan 16, 2013 at 2:17 pm Reason: Removed unnecessary bypass of profanity filter.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:00 pm

Any thoughts on a devaluation of their award chart? Or what about doing something about having like no availability with their partners? I've got a ton of DL miles, but I dunno what to do with them.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:02 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
That is who is likely behind the new dulta.com disaster. So was also speculated in the earlier thread, as you may recall (if you've read it).
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:04 pm

Programs: DL 4MM; DM
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
Bull$hit.
It's called "breach of contract", i.e. changing the terms AFTER the purchase.
Perhaps I misread, but, I think according to DLroads' post it will not affect your tickets purchased before March 1:

"This change will apply to tickets purchased on or after March 1, 2013."

The only thing I would worry about would be if the mileage you earn with Ms etc will post correctly. I suspect there will be some major hassles getting the correct amounts on tickets purchased prior to March 1, but flown after that date.

ETA: But, it does appear to apply to codeshare earning on flights after 3/1.

Sorry for the partial misread.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: DM
Originally Posted by pbarnette
Yeah. LedgeT was spot on about everything except for the fare-based accrual, fare-based redemption, and the dates.
Exactly. I think LegeT spelled Delta right, little else.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:12 pm

Programs: DL PM
This kind of resembles JetBlue's FF program, 30 MQS AND $4,000 minimum (15,000 flight points at 3 points per $ spent).

I really don't find the spending thresholds to be an issue, but as a segment qualifier, I spent >$4,000 for 37 MQS. Now, I just wish they'd let us qualify for a higher level on MQD alone, once you exceed some minimum number of MQM/MQS. That'd be awesome!
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
Say I hit 126,000 MQM's a year which qualifies for DM, but my MQD is only at the GM figure (whatever that amount is), what level elite will DL consider me? Obviously not DM... Would it be PM or GM?

For me to earn 135,000 MQM a year and possibly only get to GM because of my low MQD, then just as DL makes changes to their policy, so will I (as to whom I fly).
Bingo! Enjoy flying a lot but only making GM because you don't have expensive tickets >10cpm!
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by pbarnette
Yeah. LedgeT was spot on about everything except for the fare-based accrual, fare-based redemption, and the dates.
The only thing that we know is wrong for sure is the dates. Fare-based accrual/redemption may well happen.

Remember, DL never ever gives reasonable advance notice for negative changes of Skymiles program. @:-)
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DLdweeb
Can DL possibly be more inept when it comes to 1) clear, honest communication of policy with customers, and 2) distribution of said policy?

And another thing....why does DL hate MRs? Often they happen on Saturdays when loads are lighter and DL chooses to offer attractive fares. Why are those folks punished by filling otherwise empty seats at prices DL has established?
What you saw was another demonstration of Delta's complete utter incompetence from the CIO down. This wasn't meant for the public side of the website and there's a whole other part of the program that wasn't accidentally published.

I don't want to walk out on a limb because everything is subject to change, but the way I understand it, SWU's are going to gain in value, and cheap deep discount fare's are going to have less value. There's no reason to wring your hands over M fare's, because there are still going to be fares at that price point earning MQM bonus's.

Lastly, is it possible, not including roll over, to make DM at less than $12.5K? Me, if roll over sticks, I'm DM through 2015. I don't have a problem with Delta asking me to fly their airline to the tune of $12.5K annual send to maintain this status.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:16 pm

Programs: DL GM
If it thins out the ranks and makes my GM status a bit more meaningful as far as upgrades go, id cough up a bit more!
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by blug
The only thing that we know is wrong for sure is the dates. Fare-based accrual/redemption may well happen.

Remember, DL never ever gives reasonable advance notice for negative changes of Skymiles program. @:-)
Clever use of the word "may". If I said Delta is canceling their loyalty program altogether, by your criteria I could never be wrong because it "may" happen.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:20 pm

Beginning January 1, 2014, SkyMiles members residing in the United States (excluding Guam, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands) will qualify for Medallion status based on an additional threshold the members annual spending with Delta, which will be measured by Medallion Qualification Dollars (MQDs)
What about spend and/or travel on partner airlines. For example what if I book a flight on Alaska air via the Alaska website vs. Delta website. Do I get any MQD credit for either of those cases?
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Guess I'm not seeing the part where SWUs would be more valuable. You need an M fare to use them, and now the 50% mqm bonus is gone. If they make M fares cheaper but make the SWU usable only on B+, then that only makes them even less valuable. B fares are quite a bit more than an M fare.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by DL2SXM

The point it to reward revenue, people who bring in money. They aren't rewarding the people who fly for 3.7 cpm anymore. So yes, logically speaking, someone who flies 135,000 miles for $7500 should trump you at $5000. They aren't saying you aren't valuable, but you aren't as "elite" as somone paying more. It's a sound business model.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.