Wiki Posts
Search

MQM Earned from KLM paid upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2013, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, SPG Gold
MQM Earned from KLM paid upgrade?

I flew IAD > AMS on KLM. During OLCI I was offered a paid upgrade to Business, which I bought.

Do paid upgrades while flying KLM earn any class bonus MQMs?

My Skymiles activity shows Class Paid/Flown:T/T and doesn't have a class bonus.

My boarding pass shows Class C. It was KL metal and a KL flight #, if that matters.

Thanks.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 2:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
AFAIK no, especially for upgrades at the gate based on availability, just the same as upgrades paid with miles or SWUs would not earn any additional miles (although many such upgrades must already be from M+ fares, so that they would earn 150% regardless of any upgrade). IIRC when DL offers cash (credit card) upgrades at the gate if FC seats are available, these don't earn extra miles either.

Of course if you pay for an upgrade in advance of the gate by up faring to a premium cabin or an -UP fare, you do generally earn extra miles if applicable.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 6:08 pm

Programs: Delta DM!
Originally Posted by arthurhs
I flew IAD > AMS on KLM. During OLCI I was offered a paid upgrade to Business, which I bought.

My boarding pass shows Class C. It was KL metal and a KL flight #, if that matters.

Thanks.
I did a paid upgrade on the kiosk in the KLM lounge. My boarding pass was C. It shows on my DL history as Class Paid/Flown: C/C and I did receive a 50% class bonus.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 7:36 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by arthurhs

Thanks.
I would wait a few days and make sure that doesn't change - then I would submit a missing miles form along with your BP, if needed.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 7:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I suspect that there may be a difference depending on how much was paid for the upgrade. If it was a small fixed amount, I would not expect the extra miles. However, if the payment was calculated as the difference between the fare paid and the cheapest -UP fare or deeply discounted business class fare, then the extra miles should be given.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, SPG Gold
Thanks. My upgrade $ was a small amount, definitely not the difference between T and C.

I'll try to request the class bonus, but if they say no, not a big deal.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 2:53 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Platinum
There's a long thread on KLM's OLCI buy-ups in the Flying Blue corner of FT. If I remember correctly, initially KLM was giving the mileage bonus, but no longer is.

The latter was definitely the case for me a few years ago (2010?)--200 or 250 Euros for AMS-JFK, which I gladly paid (my first KLM house!), but I didn't get a mileage bonus.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 6:52 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Officially, no.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 6:58 am
c_d

Programs: Feels like FO (AA EXP)
Only the "haggle" upgrades as negotiated with a lounge agent may yield any class bonus. Those agents seem to save some typing and paper work by simply re-issuing your ticket into C and be done with it. That seems funny given the huge discount they may grant you (less than what you're offered at OLCI). However, those upgrades are very hard to come by since the last capacity reduction, however, KLM had no issues at all granting them for DL metal as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.