Wiki Posts
Search

Unable to change seats

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2013, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Delta DM
Thumbs down Unable to change seats

Is anyone else having this problem? I have tried to change my seat on the Delta app iPhone and online. But when I click on an open seat it says "Error changing seats: One or more of your requested states are no longer available or could not be assigned..." So I called the PM line and the agent moved my seat to the one I wanted! I thought it would be a one time thing but it just happened again for my return! Anyone else notice this?
Old Jan 14, 2013, 9:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ausstone
Is anyone else having this problem? I have tried to change my seat on the Delta app iPhone and online. But when I click on an open seat it says "Error changing seats: One or more of your requested states are no longer available or could not be assigned..." So I called the PM line and the agent moved my seat to the one I wanted! I thought it would be a one time thing but it just happened again for my return! Anyone else notice this?
Are these flights operated by DL or by some partner such as AS, AF or KLM?

Could you be trying to select a preferred, exit row, bulkhead, or EC seat without having a FF number with sufficient status attached to the reservation? If you're traveling with a child under 15, you cannot be seated in the exit row nor IIRC the row immediately in front of or immediately behind the exit rows.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 9:03 am

Programs: DL PM
Are you within the hours window for that specific flight? I'm FO so I have to be within 24 hours. When Flt 1 in <24 hr I can check in, but if Flt 2 is say 25 hours out, I'll get that error trying to change seats on the 2nd flight (even though I'm checked in). The call reps don't appear to be familiar with this situation, and it's not really an error per se, just an incompletely documented function of the system.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Are these flights operated by DL or by some partner such as AS, AF or KLM?

Could you be trying to select a preferred, exit row, bulkhead, or EC seat without having a FF number with sufficient status attached to the reservation? If you're traveling with a child under 15, you cannot be seated in the exit row nor IIRC the row immediately in front of or immediately behind the exit rows.
Yes, they are DL flights from MIA to JFK and back. No, I'm not selecting the preferred seats and yes my FF number is in the reservation because I'm trying to change my FC upgrade seat. It usually doesn't put me where I want...
Old Jan 14, 2013, 9:09 am

I am having the same problem. I have two domestic flights tomorrow (1/15) and I couldn't change seats within the F cabin for the last few days. Finally, call the DM line and they made the change. Tried to change them on both the new I Phone App and Web Site

Happydad
Old Jan 14, 2013, 9:10 am

Programs: Household of Delta GM & PM, SWA RR CP, Bonvoy Platinum, Hertz #1 Gold, Budget RZ
Talking to an agent last night, she claimed that if you are in a preferred seat and are upgraded to FC, that you have to call to change the seats still. Its an issue they are aware of, but she does not see it changing anytime soon.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 9:12 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The only time I couldn't change my seat in FC after the upgrade was confirmed was when DL was in the middle of an aircraft change. Could there be a schedule or aircraft change on your itinerary?

BTW, do you have your seat preferences (aisle or window) saved in your profile? That might help in getting the seat you want assigned when you're upgraded, although AFAIK you cannot specify bulkhead or non bulkhead. Often there aren't many choices remaining after upgrades are processed at the window or later when upgrade inventory is released.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 9:12 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM HH Gold, Marriot Titanium
Have had this problem numerous times.
@DeltaAssist can reassign you, however this will reissue the ticket

An annoying problem because of this fix. If I can tolerate waiting until arriving at the airport, I will, as the kiosks generally work just fine.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by mbaker0936
Talking to an agent last night, she claimed that if you are in a preferred seat and are upgraded to FC, that you have to call to change the seats still. Its an issue they are aware of, but she does not see it changing anytime soon.
I've never heard of this one, although if you've already done OLCI, you can't change your seat on delta.dumb (although I've heard a rumor that you can do this on the app).
Old Jan 14, 2013, 9:16 am

Programs: Hilton C, Marriott Pt, Delta Pt
The same thing happened to me yesterday. I tried app/web/even kiosk. None of them let me change seats on any of my flights yesterday. Tweet DeltaAssist or call Delta for help.

I had experienced all of these problems just this past weekend...
1. Medallion Upgrade Request was somehow dropped from my flights after ticketed.
2. Was not able to make seat changes. Kept getting error msgs.
3. Upgrade list not updating or available at all on app/web/gate monitors.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by timmy83
Have had this problem numerous times.
@DeltaAssist can reassign you, however this will reissue the ticket

An annoying problem because of this fix. If I can tolerate waiting until arriving at the airport, I will, as the kiosks generally work just fine.
If you wait, there's a good chance that the seat you want will be gone. The sooner you do the seat change the better your options are (except perhaps if you're trying to move up into EC, exit, or preferred seats as others are upgraded).

I'd be annoyed by the ticket reissue as I want to know when my ticket has been reissued so that I can submit for reimbursement the receipt for the ticket that was actually flown. I wouldn't want someone to notice a discrepancy and question it.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If you wait, there's a good chance that the seat you want will be gone. The sooner you do the seat change the better your options are (except perhaps if you're trying to move up into EC, exit, or preferred seats as others are upgraded).

I'd be annoyed by the ticket reissue as I want to know when my ticket has been reissued so that I can submit for reimbursement the receipt for the ticket that was actually flown. I wouldn't want someone to notice a discrepancy and question it.
Agreed with the annoyance.

Another issue is if you're in a tight UG situation - you will lose any priority based on ticket issue date.
I think the OP would be fine to contact @DeltaAssist if he's not worried about discrepancies in date, as he's already been upgraded.

I have found sometimes that patience in waiting for EC seats pays off, as GM+ members will be cleared for UGs late, and I can take them closer to boarding, but there are certainly no guarantees..
Old Jan 14, 2013, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyertalk77
The same thing happened to me yesterday. I tried app/web/even kiosk. None of them let me change seats on any of my flights yesterday. Tweet DeltaAssist or call Delta for help.

1. Medallion Upgrade Request was somehow dropped from my flights after ticketed.
All three things happened to me also! Number 1 is the MOST frustrating!
Old Jan 14, 2013, 9:22 am

Programs: Delta, Avios, Chase
Happened to me yesterday. Got an upgrade at the window but was unable to change the seat on the app or online. Called in and was able to change it easy.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by flyertalk77

I've had all of these problems either together or separately in all of my previous itineraries. This is the result of the DL.dumb overhaul, so don't expect fixes to any of these issues anytime soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.