Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Community Alert - "Upgrade Eligible" instead of "Upgrade Requested"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2013, 7:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL EOS...

Last edited by Ti22; Mar 26, 2014 at 7:48 am
Old Jan 13, 2013, 8:22 am
mdb

Originally Posted by Ti22
Sorry to start a new thread but enough people have posted about this in somewhat different topic thread so it's probably worth having a look....

Here's the thread that inspired this thread -
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...-eligible.html

My trouble began after the recent new app(s) rollout. Might not have anything to do with this but that's what prompted me to check my upcoming flights. When I did, I noticed "Upgrade Eligible" for a tcon next weekend. Hmm? IIRC that usually sez "Medallion Upgrade Requested"?

I check on a computer instead of the app, same thing. I then tweeted DLAssist and they were happy to "waitlist" me and the entry quickly changed to the normal "Medallion Upgrade Requested".

Did not press the issue but I suppose the "company line" is that you must have unchecked the "upgrade requested" box during booking. Sure, maybe? But, highly unlikely since I'm extremely careful when spending high $$$ with online ordering/processing systems.

Oh well, I searched around FT and have seen a small number of folks experience this over the years but this recent event seems to have a few more pax affected than any previous sample size.

It would be a shame if you missed an UG because of this unusual and easy to overlook anomally. All it takes to insure you're in good shape is log in and check any upcoming flights.

Not sure if it matters but I'm current PM, btw.

Thanks for this - I checked all my upcoming flights and sure enough the most recent was as you saw elligble and not requested - will look carefully when booking the next flights
Old Jan 13, 2013, 8:27 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
I've had this problem too. Missed an u/g as a DM on a K fare on a 767 ATL-JFK on a Tuesday mid-day. Got to checkin and was told I hadn't requested an upgrade. Wound up top of the list, but by then all the u/g seats were gone.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 11:01 am

I recently had a flight that I didn't get an upgrade with 5 seats open in FC, this may explain it. In the past I didn't do anything to upgrade the request, but from now on I'll have to check more closely.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 11:11 am

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
+1 on using @Deltaassist on Twitter. I had this issue w an upcoming flight, sent my conf. # via direct message & it was fixed within 15 minutes. ^

I couldn't figure out how to do it myself online - does anybody know if that's possible, for future reference? From other accounts it sounds like it has to be fixed from the DL side. But since I'm losing medallion status as of 3/1, I guess it's not a problem I'm going to have much longer.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:28 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Solution That Has Worked to Stop This

I've posted this in a few other threads in the past month...

The problem is often caused by logging in to DL.com after you have started the reservation process. The system will show that you have requested the UG, but behind the scenes, it indicates you declined the UG.

I had this happen several times, but since I started making sure I was logged in before starting a reservation, it has not happened.

If you realize you are not logged in after doing a search for flights, close your browser, open a new one, log in and start your search from scratch. The alternative is to call after you make the reservation and have the agent make the correction.

Others claim there isn't a single issue causing this, but being logged in has been a solution which works for me. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...available.html

Last edited by CJKatl; Jan 13, 2013 at 12:35 pm
Old Jan 13, 2013, 1:10 pm

Programs: DL PM
I had the same problem with 2 of my 5 recent bookings. DLAssist via twitter helped fix it.

Edit: Thanks for the reminder. Make that 3 of my 6 recent bookings. DeltaAssist came to the rescue again for me.

Last edited by jb008; Jan 13, 2013 at 1:48 pm
Old Jan 13, 2013, 2:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM HH Gold, Marriot Titanium
Originally Posted by CJKatl
The system will show that you have requested the UG, but behind the scenes, it indicates you declined the UG.
So, DL.dumb will show status of "Upgrade Requested" for these flights?
Old Jan 13, 2013, 3:43 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by timmy83
So, DL.dumb will show status of "Upgrade Requested" for these flights?
Yep. Once you hit your UG window, it may switch to "Upgrade Available" if you should have cleared. Once, I was able to click the box showing next to that and move myself to F.

The best thing to do is call DL and ask the agent to check each of your present reservations to be sure it doesn't how you declined the UG. Apparently the agents can see if it's done incorrectly.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 3:55 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Are not EF alerts a good defense when there is uncertainty?
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:37 am

Just saw this on a booking I had booked with a non-medallion skymiles member. Tweeted @DeltaAssist and they said they had to split the record in order to get me on the upgrade lists because my partner didn't have status. I was reassured that we were both still on the upgrade lists.

Does this mean that if the upgrades go through, I will get upgraded as normal, and she will get upgraded with companions? I would rather both of us get upgraded if possible instead of just me. Does this require a quick call to the FO line?
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:51 am

Programs: DL PM, Alaska Gold MVP, Expedia Elite Plus, Amex Reserve.
I just checked in and experienced the same problem.

Someone here suggested I call the ML, the issue was resolved right away, I was upgraded on my outbound flights.

I was advise to check the box from now on.

Thanks to the poster who suggested I called DL.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 1:56 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by bgh10788
Just saw this on a booking I had booked with a non-medallion skymiles member. Tweeted @DeltaAssist and they said they had to split the record in order to get me on the upgrade lists because my partner didn't have status. I was reassured that we were both still on the upgrade lists.

Does this mean that if the upgrades go through, I will get upgraded as normal, and she will get upgraded with companions? I would rather both of us get upgraded if possible instead of just me. Does this require a quick call to the FO line?
Does your travel partner have a skymiles number? My wife and I traveled on the same PNR recently and were both upgraded. The main reason to split the PNR is to give a chance for 1 upgrade to clear, since you'll clear at the lower person's level (in this case a companion upgrade). As FO, you clear at the same time as companions, but the companion drags you down to clearing AFTER the other FOs on paid fares.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by jb008
Does your travel partner have a skymiles number? My wife and I traveled on the same PNR recently and were both upgraded. The main reason to split the PNR is to give a chance for 1 upgrade to clear, since you'll clear at the lower person's level (in this case a companion upgrade). As FO, you clear at the same time as companions, but the companion drags you down to clearing AFTER the other FOs on paid fares.
She does have a Skymiles number. I know there are people here who think that you should be able to be apart from your travelling partner for a flight. But if I get the upgrade, I don't want to be "that guy" who leaves the gf in coach. It could make the rest of the trip um...interesting. So basically, I would prefer that we're both upgraded, or neither is upgraded. I'm fine if that means the upgrade priority is lower.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL EOS...
Originally Posted by bgh10788
She does have a Skymiles number. I know there are people here who think that you should be able to be apart from your travelling partner for a flight. But if I get the upgrade, I don't want to be "that guy" who leaves the gf in coach. It could make the rest of the trip um...interesting. So basically, I would prefer that we're both upgraded, or neither is upgraded. I'm fine if that means the upgrade priority is lower.
The agent was doing you a favor splitting PNR's and if you get UG but companion doesn't the easy decision (for myself) is to give FC seat to GF/spouse and I'll ride in the back.

Some will argue it's not your seat to gift away but I've seen this and done it and not a problem with any flight crew I've encountered.

Seriously, even if you both get UG it's likely you won't be seated together and one of you will be begging to seat swap with somebody.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.