Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Did delta change coffee vendors again?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2013, 5:33 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by fliesdelta
Regardless of the airline, I have never, ever, had good coffee in flight. First class, business, coach, morning flights, afternoon flights, short commuters, coast-to-coast, the coffee has always sucked.

And I'm far from being a coffee snob.

But airline coffee is just... well, it's just not coffee.
SQ, SK, and other non-US carriers have real cappuccino machines in their premium galleys. Airlines can provide good quality coffee if their management considers it important.

I doubt that the carafes on any US carrier ever receive more than a cursory cold-water rinse before reuse, which permits a nice buildup of rancid oil residue.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 9:17 am

I'm not much of a coffee drinker. Mostly because I prefer tea. But I would rather drink coffee than tea because of the way tea is made by most people (lukewarm water and a lipton bag).

So, I drink coffee when I am not at home and found out that if you sprinkle in just a little bit of salt and stir, most of the bitterness in the coffee is gone. This might help for anyone who drinks coffee with the new "cream" if they decide to forgo using the coffee mate creamer.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:36 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
My advice: drink bloody marys on Delta flights. During the PDB process, you'll get one with that distinctive Delta flavor--the plastic cups they use enhance the taste.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by Sabai
SQ, SK, and other non-US carriers have real cappuccino machines in their premium galleys. Airlines can provide good quality coffee if their management considers it important.

I doubt that the carafes on any US carrier ever receive more than a cursory cold-water rinse before reuse, which permits a nice buildup of rancid oil residue.
I could have sworn CO actually went though the trouble of installing fancy Cappuccino/Coffee makers on their wide body fleet. CO always struck me as being a couple notches about the other carries back before their merger.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 8:50 am

Don't drink the coffee!

I had to share this one! I am not an airline employee, but I believe this.
"Dont drink the coffee. The potable water the aircraft is serviced with is absolutely disgusting."
http://www.quora.com/Airlines/What-a...-wont-tell-you
Old Jan 27, 2013, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by timmy83
Thomas, why on earth would you attempt to drink coffee on a flight? I have never had a positive experience with this, although some claim AS is better...
AS/QX is better. I fly a lot of QX and I guess I've been spoiled, when I had a cup on a recent United flight I found myself thinking about day-old gas station coffee, the kind that sits in a pot on top of a warming plate.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Dynastar
AS/QX is better. I fly a lot of QX and I guess I've been spoiled, when I had a cup on a recent United flight I found myself thinking about day-old gas station coffee, the kind that sits in a pot on top of a warming plate.
it is not nice to compare day old gas station coffee to what is served on ua.
i actually found what is served on us fairly decent.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 3:41 pm

Programs: DL DM 5MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
There is actually good coffee in the air

I just flew Emirates and Qatar (for the first time) this week and I have to say that both of them had a very good cup of coffee on board.

Also amazing to see how these airlines are able to provide service even on short hops as compared to what we get on US based airlines. Given the choice, I'll choose Emirates, Ethidad or Qatar each time over any US carrier when traveling outside the US.

On a side not, I did get a nice freshly made espresso on Air France yesterday on their A380.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 3:50 pm

Programs: DL PM; Bonvoy Ambassador
I'm on DL 706 right now, and I swear, this coffee has a distinct aftertaste of cheese. It's horrific.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by ND76
My advice: drink bloody marys on Delta flights. During the PDB process, you'll get one with that distinctive Delta flavor--the plastic cups they use enhance the taste.
The Bloody Marys have not tasted the same since DL stopped serving Tanqueray.

At least the Crown Rooms still have it.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 6:30 pm

Programs: DL PM; Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
The Bloody Marys have not tasted the same since DL stopped serving Tanqueray.

Who puts gin in their Bloody Maries? :-)
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:44 pm

Programs: Skymiles, MPL Chase Premier
I flew from MSP-LAS and the coffee tasted like any other major coffee. Burned. Reminded me of Seattles Burned Coffee.

Anyway, maybe the OP ran into an issue where the flight was catered at an outstation and they confused coffee brands... or was out of SBC... and just said "heck with it, we'll stock it with UA coffee"
Old Feb 1, 2013, 1:47 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by Starblazer
I flew from MSP-LAS and the coffee tasted like any other major coffee. Burned. Reminded me of Seattles Burned Coffee.

Anyway, maybe the OP ran into an issue where the flight was catered at an outstation and they confused coffee brands... or was out of SBC... and just said "heck with it, we'll stock it with UA coffee"
Charbucks? LOL

Illy FTW
Old Feb 1, 2013, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by wrytoast
Who puts gin in their Bloody Maries? :-)
Not that unusual.

Try one. They are actually quite good.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 9:21 am

Programs: DL-PM
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
since DL stopped serving Tanqueray.

A sad, sad day for us T&T drinkers... I don't like Sapphire... Reminds me of OW's Sapphire level...

As for the tea drinkers (like myself), just stop by the Sky Club an pick up a couple of Twinings bags before boarding... really makes a difference...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.