Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

9JAN DL 201 JNB-ATL diverts to the Ascension Island

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

9JAN DL 201 JNB-ATL diverts to the Ascension Island

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2013, 6:34 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
If an FTer was on that flight, I'd hope for them to see this thread and comment on what happened. An interesting diversion.

I've heard of a Qantas jet getting diverted to IPC between SYD and SCL, but there's actually things to do in IPC, plus it has Chilean Border facilities.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Wasn't there a similar case of an emergency landing on a Pacific island that's an ecology preserve during the last year? (Would this one have been DL too? Perhaps Easter Island or somewhere in the South Pacific?)
Yes, 744 N669US operating DL277 HNL-KIX on June 16, 2011 diverted to Sand Island, Midway due to a cracked windshield.

http://avherald.com/h?article=43e52c40&opt=0

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...nd-6-16-a.html
Old Jan 10, 2013, 7:28 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Ascension Island was a vital stopover point during the Falklands war between the UK and Argentina in the 1980s.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by RobertS975
Ascension Island was a vital stopover point during the Falklands war between the UK and Argentina in the 1980s.
Yes I remember well. Although the Vulcans were refuelled mid-air, they still stopped in Ascension. Ships did too.

By the way there is a trip report that mentions it- a recent one too.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...air-force.html

Last edited by GRALISTAIR; Jan 10, 2013 at 9:07 pm
Old Jan 10, 2013, 8:19 pm

Programs: DL, AA
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Yes I remember well. Although the Vulcans were refuelled mid-air, they still stopped in Ascension. Ships did too.

By the way there is a trip report that mentionsi t- a recent one too.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...air-force.html
Looking at your signature reminded me: this diversion would be one heck of a line on one's route map!
Old Jan 10, 2013, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by bk42
Looking at your signature reminded me: this diversion would be one heck of a line on one's route map!
abso-bloody-lutely
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:37 am

Programs: DL DM, AA ExP
I wonder if the Military forces (UK or US) on the island help out in these situations as far as providing shelter, food, etc.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 1:00 am

Update

My girlfriend was on the flight from JNB to ATL Delta 201. The plane was delayed an hour due to it being heavy and apparently to hot so they had to wait for it to cool down. It was a full flight with no empty seats.
She sent me an sms at 3:45am my time on the 10th Jan. Saying they had to make an emergency landing at Ascension Island due to the plane losing oil and having engine problems. She said there was a streak of white coming out of one engine. Once i spoke to her a few hours later she told me about the whole ordeal. Apparently when they started descending everyone was asleep and she got up due to being anxious about descending in the middle of the ocean. They told her theyre having issues with an engine and will be performing a emergency landing. They also asked her not to say anything. She sat back down. Only about 15-20 minutes later did they make an announcement about the landing with no clear details on why or where.
The landing was very rough with emergency crews everywhere. I don't know how long they stayed on the plane. They disembarked and had to wait around. No delta personnel assisted them only the military attended to them. When i spoke to her they were just sitting around still waiting for information. They were kept somewhere on the airport with bunk beds and very limited facilities. They weren't allowed to leave the airport at all. Even though some of passengers complained and at least wanted to go down to the beach. Later on in the day around 2pm the Captain came finally came out and gave them the first information about what happened and it also was the first contact with the passengers from Delta. Apparently one engine had failed and they were leaking oil and losing oil pressure. Shortly after that she smsed me again saying a plane that had landed had clipped their wing while landing. The army had told the passengers their plane was the biggest that has ever landed there.
They were waiting for a plane to fly in from Atlanta. She wasn't sure if the crew would be changing or kept the same. The Atlanta plane was delayed and she called me at 9:55pm on the 10th Jan (my time) saying they were finally boarding the plane and should be leaving shortly.
She has confirmed they have arrived safely in ATL this morning.
I hope this has helped if I find out anything more i'll keep you posted.
I just want to say on her behalf that Delta was very unprofessional in the dealings with their passengers even though i understand that it is an emergency and they were under stressful conditions but there was no communication or updates on what was going on.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 1:28 am

Programs: DL DM, AA ExP
African7 - thanks for the update ... And glad your go got back to ATL. I was wondering about what happened regarding the DL plane wing getting clipped as there was a mention of it on AvHerald in the comments also
http://avherald.com/h?article=45bee9df&opt=0
Old Jan 11, 2013, 3:42 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I agree with you, although I wouldn't like being told to prepare for an emergency landing, especially if ditching at sea were a possibility. It's good that ASI seems to have a long runway.

why not? addd some excitment to the divert.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 3:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by african7
No delta personnel assisted them only the military attended to them. When i spoke to her they were just sitting around still waiting for information. They were kept somewhere on the airport with bunk beds and very limited facilities. They weren't allowed to leave the airport at all. Even though some of passengers complained and at least wanted to go down to the beach. I just want to say on her behalf that Delta was very unprofessional in the dealings with their passengers even though i understand that it is an emergency and they were under stressful conditions but there was no communication or updates on what was going on.
did she, and other passengers, expect a entire DL crew to be stationed at the divert AP? I mean, people need to understand the gravity of the situation and get a grip. as for the lack of info, the pilot apparently told the pax what the deal was. Do people really expect an hourly update? The replacement plane was on the way. Find a cot, relax and enjoy your layover. Your in the middle of the atlantic, literally, with nothing around except Ocean. Take a look at google earth. There is nothing around, NOTHING. People overreact. Looks like the DL pilots did an amazing job of getting that 777 down on a dot of an Island in the middle of the Atlantic, especially after piloting the plane for X amount of hours. Tremendous skill and great job.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 4:02 am

Programs: DL DM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
did she, and other passengers, expect a entire DL crew to be stationed at the divert AP? I mean, people need to understand the gravity of the situation and get a grip. as for the lack of info, the pilot apparently told the pax what the deal was. Do people really expect an hourly update? The replacement plane was on the way. Find a cot, relax and enjoy your layover. Your in the middle of the atlantic, literally, with nothing around except Ocean. Take a look at google earth. There is nothing around, NOTHING. People overreact. Looks like the DL pilots did an amazing job of getting that 777 down on a dot of an Island in the middle of the Atlantic, especially after piloting the plane for X amount of hours. Tremendous skill and great job.
^ My sentiments exactly.

Completely unrelated... Are you no longer a lieu at nypd?
Old Jan 11, 2013, 4:52 am

Programs: AA, BA, UA, COPA, Air Canada (dormant)
There is a facility for delayed passengers but I have never had to use it, so cannot comment on it.

The transit lounge is nicknamed the Pigpen!

However, even transiting passengers can get their passports stamped in return for a nominal donation to charity.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 5:07 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by DeltaFan4Now
^ My sentiments exactly.

Completely unrelated... Are you no longer a lieu at nypd?
I am...Though I am coming up on 20 years so maybe it will be ret. nypdlieu soon

Also, I should add, thanks to African 7 for taking the time for posting information on what happened. And again, did people actually expect a red coat or a meet and greet to extend a warm welcome to the Island when the plane landed?
Old Jan 11, 2013, 5:09 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by rmb.flk
There is a facility for delayed passengers but I have never had to use it, so cannot comment on it.

The transit lounge is nicknamed the Pigpen!

However, even transiting passengers can get their passports stamped in return for a nominal donation to charity.
and is the lounge staffed and equipted to accomodate an unexpecting 300 plus people?

What are the hours for getting passports stamped?

Seriously folks, if you have google earth, fire it up and take a look at how small the Island is and where it is in relation to other Islands and and Continents. You really are pretty much in the middle of nowhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.