Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

9JAN DL 201 JNB-ATL diverts to the Ascension Island

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

9JAN DL 201 JNB-ATL diverts to the Ascension Island

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2013, 5:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by bankops
Smaller bird? Have you seen the size of the engines on the 777? The diameter is around 12ft. Just to ship it on a 747 you can only do it with the fan removed. Only the AN-124 can take it whole and they aren't readily available in the US.

They have the parts but it is much much easier just to yank the engine and repair it at a maintenance center. That way the airplane is back in service.
That was my guess: swap out the engine, fly it home, and then try to repair the damaged engine and reuse it. Taking it back to home base also enables technicians to do more analysis of what might have caused the problem.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by bankops
Smaller bird? Have you seen the size of the engines on the 777? The diameter is around 12ft. Just to ship it on a 747 you can only do it with the fan removed. Only the AN-124 can take it whole and they aren't readily available in the US.

They have the parts but it is much much easier just to yank the engine and repair it at a maintenance center. That way the airplane is back in service.
The person I was traveling with heard one of the pilots said they were going to fly the plane back to Atlanta on one engine.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 5:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
If this isnt the best FIRST post on FT, I dont know what is! Awesome. Welcome, ksgalbre!

Originally Posted by ksgalbre
I guess I'll be the first actual passenger to check in, this flight was definitely an adventure for sure. I apologize in advance for the length.

We were approximately five hours out from Johannesburg (I had just finished my movie and was laying my seat back to try to sleep) when the pilot came on the intercom with an announcement that they had an engine indication light on and we were diverting to Ascension Island and would be there in about an hour. As you can imagine there was not going to be any sleep after that.

We landed at almost exactly an hour later, about 3,000 miles from Johannesburg. The landing was actually fairly smooth but the airfield did have a few emergency vehicles ready just in case (I think there were only six or so vehicles, they don't have many) and no they were not lightning the runway with their headlights. After landing we were told to stay in our seats for the time being and maybe 15-20 minutes later we were told that we were going to be getting off the plane and to start getting together our personal belongings. Probably 5 minutes after that we started to get off the plane at about 1:30am local time (8:30pm EST).

When we deplaned we went to the British "terminal". There was probably only about 40 seats inside for people to sit on but the evening was very nice so most people sat on large picnic benches outside or leaned against the walls and fence. They luckily had a tiny little play area in terminal already there where the little kids could play. They brought in a few of the cold sandwiches meant for the midflight snack to the base but there were not enough for everyone. We were also short on the refreshment said, the Brits brewed up some coffee and tea and there was a water fountain but that is all we had (I was smart and grabbed a few extra water bottles before we landed). We had some weak cell phone reception at the base so most of us were able to text or call people back in the States if we needed to.

About two hours after we had landed they finally powered down the plane and we noticed the pilots and flight crew get into some vehicles and drive away. This was really my only criticism on how everything was handled. I realize they were still figuring things out at the time but it would have been nice for them to send one of the pilots or maybe the crew leader to the terminal and just say "This is what we know and this is what we don't know and we'll tell you more when we have more information". It would not have taken very much and it would have made a lot of people happier, there was definitely some grumbling that no one was keeping us in the loop. Most of the information we go were just rumors of someone sat next to someone who knew someone working at Delta and they were told this and that. Eventually about an hour after that one the Brits got on the intercom to start organizing transportation to the bases for accomodations and mentioned that Delta was working on bringing a new plane there but he had not heard of a timeframe yet.

The transport of everyone to the British and American bases were a little disorganized, you could definitely tell they were making it up as they went which was completely understandable. They were breaking people out into groups of four (started with elderly and children, then moved into couples and travel partners before going to single travelers). Those who went to the British base were in four to a room and had a communal bathroom. Not the greatest of accommodations but it was better than sleeping in the terminal. I was lucky and got sent to the US base where we all got our own rooms with bathrooms, I got into my room around 5:30am local.

When I got up I went to the mess hall for lunch which was free for all the passengers. At the mess hall we had our first "official" communication from Delta which was just a note saying they were expecting the replacement plane to arrive between 5:00-6:00 pm and that a dinner would be available after 3:30pm. We were not restricted in our movements in any way on the US base, I spent a lot of time walking around and I talked to a couple people who had made it down to Georgetown which was apparently a couple miles from the base. The base shop definitely had a good day, I saw dozens of people walking around with Ascension Island shirts on.

Everyone on the British side started coming over to the US base at around 5:00pm and buses started coming at about 6:00 to start bringing everyone back to the airfield, everyone made it over there by around 7:00. There was a British plane there that had arrived in the morning (and yes apparently they did clip their wing with our broken plane) so we all had to huddle in the firestation for a little bit as that plane was taxing and took off. At about 8:00pm we were told we could board the plane and so you just had a mass of 250 people just walking across the tarmac to board the plane. Everyone was boarded and settled down withing 20-25 minutes, everyone was ready to get home. Once airborne we were let known that because the replacement plane had left in the middle of the night they were not able to load it with any catered food so we just had snacks available (at some point they also ran out of water but beyond that they seemed to have the usual beverage service).

We arrived in Atlanta at about 2:30am EST and they opened immigration just for us. Once we got through customs and baggage claim (the pilots moved all of the luggage from the broken plane to the new one) there was a host of Delta reps waiting to get everything setup. I'm a Platinum member so they had a room setup for us where they gave us our boarding passes for connecting flights, hotel key (I declined as I had a 7:40 flight and it didn't make sense to go to a hotel just for a couple hours), and for the sky priority members they had food bags with a sandwich and snacks available (they had some food available for everyone else as well). After that they let everyone who was staying in the airport into the Sky Lounge in the F Terminal.

It was definitely an interesting experience. It some ways it was kind of nice to stop and have a nice shower and a sleep in a bed. The people at both the British and American bases were all every nice and accommodating and aside from lack of communication after we landed at Ascension I thought Delta stepped up nicely.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 6:02 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
The person I was traveling with heard one of the pilots said they were going to fly the plane back to Atlanta on one engine.
That would never happen.

Four-engine airplanes can do three-engine ferry flights but a two-engine airplane can not do a one-engine ferry flight.

Did you get any good pictures while you were there? I have a few from my three trips. One time we even climbed Red Mountain. Not a bad little hike and right there across the street from the flag poles/mess hall area.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 6:05 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
ksgalbre welcome to FT and thank you so much for your report "from the ground." No need to apologize for the length. A bunch of us here are fascinated by all the details of your ASI adventure and how DL handled the logistics.

My interpretation is that the kind folks on ASI and DL did an overall awfully good job of taking care of the passengers, including making arrangements to open immigration and an ATL SC in the middle of the night. I love the idea of a special room for Plats to be informed of their rebooking details, including hotel arrangements.

The exception seems to have been when the crew departed without any announcements. I assume that they were sent to the limited basic hotels on Ascension Island in order to get the mandated rest so as to be able to fly everyone home once the rescue plane arrived, but it would have been good if this had been explained, rather than just letting passengers watch them leave the airport. It reminds me a bit of the recent story of a Chinese carrier diverting due to weather to a small airport where that airline had no operations; passengers then watched the crew fly away in an empty plane with no explanation or arrangements for how the passengers were expected to get out of that place.

Please please please return at your convenience to give us more details of your adventure. We'd love to hear more!
Old Jan 11, 2013, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
We arrived in Atlanta at about 2:30am EST and they opened immigration just for us. Once we got through customs and baggage claim (the pilots moved all of the luggage from the broken plane to the new one) there was a host of Delta reps waiting to get everything setup. I'm a Platinum member so they had a room setup for us where they gave us our boarding passes for connecting flights, hotel key (I declined as I had a 7:40 flight and it didn't make sense to go to a hotel just for a couple hours), and for the sky priority members they had food bags with a sandwich and snacks available (they had some food available for everyone else as well). After that they let everyone who was staying in the airport into the Sky Lounge in the F Terminal.

It was definitely an interesting experience. It some ways it was kind of nice to stop and have a nice shower and a sleep in a bed. The people at both the British and American bases were all every nice and accommodating and aside from lack of communication after we landed at Ascension I thought Delta stepped up nicely.
welcome to FT!

Very well handled by Delta IMO. ^
Old Jan 11, 2013, 6:17 pm

Programs: DL DM PM
ksgalbre: thanks so much for taking the time to write this account.
I have one question if you come back: did you all take your original seats on teh new bird? Was this monitored by the flight crew?
Old Jan 11, 2013, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by NotHamSarnie
I have one question if you come back: did you all take your original seats on teh new bird? Was this monitored by the flight crew?
Yep, we all stayed in our original seats. Our original boarding passes weren't checked by anyone when we got on the plane (I still had mine but I imagine some had lost theirs). I'm sure the crew had a flight manifest available if there were any disagreements but I didn't see any, it all went very smooth.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by NotHamSarnie
And also, it sounds like BE passengers didn't get any special treatment on ASI. You mention first families with children and then the elderly were accommodated. Fine, but I fail to see why couples would then get precedence over single travelers, who are more likely to be business travelers and thus to have more expensive tickets on average. Maybe they were concerned about running out of rooms and needing to make the last singles share, but still, it seems unfair to me.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
And also, it sounds like BE passengers didn't get any special treatment on ASI. You mention first families with children and then the elderly were accommodated. Fine, but I fail to see why couples would then get precedence over single travelers, who are more likely to be business travelers and thus to have more expensive tickets on average. Maybe they were concerned about running out of rooms and needing to make the last singles share, but still, it seems unfair to me.
I didn't really have a problem with it and I was in Business Elite. If I had been traveling with my wife I would definitely would have liked to stay in the same room as her and would have been ticked if by the time we got through the line there were no more doubles left and we had to be separated.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 6:40 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Yesssssss!!!! Thanx sooooooo VERY MUCH for posting! I still hava ton of questions, but, I think the biggest one, is, do you have any idea how the Brtitsh plane clipped the DL B772? - - - or any pics at all?

Old Jan 11, 2013, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by davetravels
Yesssssss!!!! Thanx sooooooo VERY MUCH for posting! I still hava ton of questions, but, I think the biggest one, is, do you have any idea how the Brtitsh plane clipped the DL B772? - - - or any pics at all?

I'll put a few pics up in a few minutes. I have no idea how the British plane clipped the broken one, there was plenty of space for it to get in. Apparently the damage wasn't too bad because it took off before we did.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 6:44 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
I'll put a few pics up in a few minutes. I have no idea how the British plane clipped the broken one, there was plenty of space for it to get in. Apparently the damage wasn't too bad because it took off before we did.
I think most of us here are concerned / curious about the damage to the DL plane - not the British one!

Also, it has been said here, that immigration over there is strict, but you say some pax went to the beach and into town, I believe? Can you elaborate on that, at all? Were they stamping passports at all?
Old Jan 11, 2013, 6:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Really?

You must seriously be kidding. DL drops 300 pax onto a tiny islet in the middle of the Atlantic and you are worried about single travelers on average having higher fares than couples? While the logic would normally make sense, as others have pointed out this isnt exactly like pulling up to A25 in ATL.

I highly doubt the contractors who run the island were worried about who had "higher average fares" so that they could ensure more comfortable digs. I mean, really?

No DL people for 1000s of miles and you expect some randoms to perform on the spot CRM? Good luck with your next complaint letter... get over it.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 6:49 pm

http://www.flickr.com/photos/92123578@N07/8371086059/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/92123578@N07/8372157318/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/92123578@N07/8372158904/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/92123578@N07/8372160308/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/92123578@N07/8371090009/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/92123578@N07/8372161320/

Took a few more after we had landed but unfortunately they didn't come out very well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.