Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

9JAN DL 201 JNB-ATL diverts to the Ascension Island

9JAN DL 201 JNB-ATL diverts to the Ascension Island

Old Jan 10, 2013, 2:42 pm

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
awesome: if they got to set foot on land

pissed: if not
Old Jan 10, 2013, 2:42 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by PRWeezer
I'm told . . . . . .
Any idea what happened to the plane?

Originally Posted by mrredskin
pissed: if not
Ya, I guess they're not gettin' their passports stamped!
Old Jan 10, 2013, 2:54 pm

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
Originally Posted by davetravels
Any idea what happened to the plane?

Ya, I guess they're not gettin' their passports stamped!
Engine problems - oil temp was high so they decided to shut it down & divert. Seems the pax were held on board for a bit while they sorted out local logistics.

And now I have a new resident expert on the Ascension Islands. God bless the internet.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 3:01 pm

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by PRWeezer
And now I have a new resident expert on the Ascension Islands. God bless the internet.
Well, it looks like it's about 7 X 8 miles wide, so it probably wouldn't take much internet reasearch to be an expert!

What country does it belong to? Just curious, if indeed there was some kind of possibility to get a passport stamp.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

....What country does it belong to? Just curious, if indeed there was some kind of possibility to get a passport stamp.
Not sure if they will allow anyone into the island. It is a British Overseas Territory and a visa is required for all visitors.

Visas

You must get permission to visit Ascension Island from the Administrator before travel. Entry permit applications can be downloaded from the Ascension Island Government website or obtained by sending an e-mail to: [email protected]. You must be able to produce evidence of holding comprehensive travel and medical insurance. You must also be able to produce on request evidence of a return air ticket (or other evidence of pre-paid onward travel), pre-booked accommodation and sufficient funds to cover your stay on the island.

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
Well, it looks like it's about 7 X 8 miles wide, so it probably wouldn't take much internet reasearch to be an expert!

What country does it belong to? Just curious, if indeed there was some kind of possibility to get a passport stamp.
British territory. All you need to know to be an expert in 5 minutes' time (10 if you explore both sites):

http://www.ascension-island.gov.ac/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ascension_Island

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
As long as it didn't look like they would have to ditch and despite the discomforts, I would consider this unscheduled stop a wonderful little adventure. The even more unusual place down there is Tristan da Cunha, which is one of those odd places I find intriguing (it has cropped up in some books I've read); alas, it has no airport, so would not have been a possibility for an emergency landing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ascension_Island
Old Jan 10, 2013, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by CarmenOM
I would consider this unscheduled stop a wonderful little adventure.
True, but, if you're stuck on the plane, or in a small building at the airport for 19 hours, it kind of takes the "wonderful" out of the little adventure!
Old Jan 10, 2013, 3:26 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
True, but, if you're stuck on the plane, or in a small building at the airport for 19 hours, it kind of takes the "wonderful" out of the little adventure!
Well, maybe not wonderful, but still an adventure!
Old Jan 10, 2013, 3:29 pm

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
What will happen the 777 that is left at ASI?

I guess the flight that was Ferry'd from Atlanta to retrieve the pax would have contained a mechanic crew to inspect/repair the engine? Then they'll need a pilot to fly the plane back to ATL/JFK for a full maintenance inspecition/engine replacement, etc.

Probably a costly MX issue for DL. Very costly I imagine. especially since they don't seem to have many 777's just sitting around.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 3:37 pm

Programs: DL
I am pretty sure that a special arrangement has been made with CBP to have customs and immigration open at about 2:30-3am in ATL so passengers can deplane and pass through immigration, customs and security and many will connect on the 7am block onward to their final destination.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 3:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by RMAnalystATL
I am pretty sure that a special arrangement has been made with CBP to have customs and immigration open at about 2:30-3am in ATL so passengers can deplane and pass through immigration, customs and security and many will connect on the 7am block onward to their final destination.
Can you tell us anything about the conditions the passengers and crew were under on ASI? They left the island to continue to ATL a full 24 hours after departing JNB. I assume the ferry rescue flight was dispatched from ATL catered to be able to feed and water everyone on board.

Also, did DL send a full crew down from ATL in the middle of the night on the ferry flight or would the original crew be considered to be sufficiently rested to be able to help fly home? Do they have enough seats if extra crew were sent? (Was the flight full leaving JNB? I would assume that this route has full flights when they aren't facing weight restrictions, which they might have had as it's summer in South Africa.)

I guess I'm fascinated by the rules and strategies for handling the logistics in a case like this, which seems much more extreme than the unplanned Alaska landing. Wasn't there a similar case of an emergency landing on a Pacific island that's an ecology preserve during the last year? (Would this one have been DL too? Perhaps Easter Island or somewhere in the South Pacific?)
Old Jan 10, 2013, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I agree with you, although I wouldn't like being told to prepare for an emergency landing, especially if ditching at sea were a possibility. It's good that ASI seems to have a long runway.

I wonder whether the time elaspsed from JNB to ASI indicates normal speed or if they were going on just one engine on the 777. I can't easily tell without checking time zones.
Yes British military base - used to handle AVRO Vulcans. There is a very recent trip report on this airport. BTW I would love to get this airport in.

Last edited by GRALISTAIR; Jan 10, 2013 at 4:29 pm Reason: spelling
Old Jan 10, 2013, 4:10 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It was also designated as an emergency landing strip for the space shuttle: over 10,000 feet paved.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 6:28 pm

Latest arrival information on delta.dumb is for 2:35 am on January 10, three and a half hours before the original scheduled arrival time for the JNB-ATL nonstop. Maybe the passengers would prefer to forget the twenty hours spent on Ascension Island. However, I suspect that we have another case of delta.dumb not knowing what day it really is.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.