Not your typical coffee spill

Old Jan 9, 13, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, USA GP, Marriott Gold, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Hertz PC, National EE
Not your typical coffee spill

Had the "pleasure" of being the recipient of coffee all over my arm and lap on a flight last night. Wasn't the typical accidental cup spill or few drops. It seems the pot had an issue (that's what the FA claimed) and as she poured coffee was flowing onto me. She had no clue and didn't stop when I said "hey", continuing to pour until I yelled out, and by that time enough coffee to totally soak the arm of my shirt and my entire thigh was dumped.

She was extremely apologetic and tried to help dry up the mess and poured club soda on the stains. She offered up ice for the burning and asked if she could buy me a drink. That was that.

Today I had the hotel launder my clothing, stains did not come out. I call Delta and the rep put me on hold as she talks to her supervisor and then comes back telling me there is nothing she can do and that I need to fill out a "special" online form for this type of incident and that it must be done within 24 hours. She could not direct me to this form and was going to transfer me to tech support. Once on with tech support they quickly routed me to the "special" form, aka the comment / complaint link right on the top of delta.com.

Disappointing how this was handled and how rude the rep was when I called. Guess Ill wait and see how this is handled but I'm not optimistic at this point.
Old Jan 9, 13, 7:31 pm

Programs: DL PM as of 12/8/2016
Yikes. Sorry to hear that. Did the coffee stain truly burn your skin? or are you more concerned for the clothing? if the latter, Dry cleaning might help. I'd start there and see if that cleans up the stain.

Obviously the launder/DC expenses delta should cover. If its perm damage I'd expect they would refund a reasonable cost to replace the damaged clothing but I wouldn't expect a full refund for anything exorbitant.

Rude phone agent. I'd write in to complain. That's not excusable. Calling in means you will only get another CSR but filing a formal complaint provides more opportunity for tracking and actual follow through from DL. Obviously that 24hr rule for the initial complaint is BS so ignore that.
Old Jan 9, 13, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, USA GP, Marriott Gold, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Hertz PC, National EE
It did burn but nothing major and nothing to seek out medical attention for. More like when you touch a hot pan briefly and you have discomfort for a few days.

Clothing was brand new (first time wearing it) and fortunately I have receipts still.
Old Jan 9, 13, 7:37 pm

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
Call the Customer Care line. Explain what happened. They should help you.
Old Jan 9, 13, 8:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In retrospect, perhaps you should have asked the lead FA (I'm assuming that this was a domestic flight without a purser) to fill out a report. If that didn't work, you might have asked to see a redcoat upon arrival or, in a small station, gone to baggage claim, which still should have been staffed for your flight's arrival, to have them document the incident. It would be easier to claim damages to your belongings if a report had been filed at the time.
Old Jan 9, 13, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

I guess I wrongly assumed it was being documented when the FA that did the spill asked for my FF card. I had a 30 minute layover in ATL following that flight and didn't have time to do anything other than dash to the next terminal to make my connect.
Old Jan 9, 13, 8:25 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by chrisw73 View Post
I guess I wrongly assumed it was being documented when the FA that did the spill asked for my FF card.
Aha!!! have you checked your SkyMiles account to see if you got any bonus miles? This, surely isn't enough for your trouble, but at least it would be documented.

I don't believe you stated how long ago this happened? It takes a while, I belive, for miles to post that FAs dole out.
Old Jan 10, 13, 5:40 am
Original Poster

It happened the evening of 1/8 and nothing posted as of yet.
Old Jan 10, 13, 5:56 am

She was right

http://fox8.com/2013/01/09/flight-at...offee-filters/
Old Jan 10, 13, 9:01 am

Programs: DL-DM, 2MM; AA,QF,UA, WN. Every imaginable hotel program
The article explains how an injury could occur when the pot is removed from the coffee maker, but that shouldn't affect pouring a cup of coffee at the seat of the pax.

Search this Thread