Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2019, 4:14 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
I haven't eaither and I'm guessing most do not, however, from this thread the only people who have a true issue is looking for a certain date and time of flight.
You hit the nail on the head. Just as with Award Tickets and GUC's, flexibility is the key. You have to determine what's available and then decide if you can make it work with your plans. In my world, if I can save hundreds on a tickets that are slightly inconvenient but workable, I'll do it especially if it entails going a day earlier or returning a day later.
I compare it too non-reving. If you have to travel at specific times, buy the tickets and forget the $ savings.
gretchendz and gooselee like this.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 6:12 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Hi all, I'm planning to visit West Papua in August 2020 with my wife from FLL, and would like to get somewhat close in Business using miles. Both currently PLAT, but not next year. Closest spots are SIN, CGK, DPS. We can find things to do from any of these stopovers. I've been "practicing" on itins 331 days out. I;d just like to confirm what I've found, and check if there is something I'm overlooking.:

1. cheapest TPACs to SE Asia one ways are 85K
2 For 2 people, only possible on MU which is higher $ fees ($120 outbound, $230 back) than any other airline
3 No advantage in booking a RT, they are harder to find and website charges more in fees than the sum of the one ways.
4 Impossible to get these prices (85K) except from west coast and occasionally outbound from JFK.
5.Much harder to find return at 85K.

So given the above, it seems I should plan on booking one-ways,on MU way ahead of time and just try to optimize layover times in PVG, and use a little more Delta miles to get to and from US gateways. I'd appreciate any feedback on whether I'm overlooking something.(I am not someone who can walk the agent through how to do something complicated),

Thanks for any advice
Bob
Old Jul 5, 2019, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Dont forget Garuda Indonesia is a Skyteam partner. Not sure what airport but they do fly from CGK last time I knew.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 10:21 am

Programs: DL
I just booked SFO-TPE online and then asked Twitter to add a connection onto SIN, which they did with no hassle (in the middle of the night as well). Seems like it’s still pretty easy.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 12:00 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Previously top-tier everything, now a happy free agent
Originally Posted by dlflyer00
I just booked SFO-TPE online and then asked Twitter to add a connection onto SIN, which they did with no hassle (in the middle of the night as well). Seems like it’s still pretty easy.
This is good to hear. Everytime when I've reached out with a request that involves some sort of reticketing, they always tell me to call Reservations.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 12:12 pm

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by bj27
This is good to hear. Everytime when I've reached out with a request that involves some sort of reticketing, they always tell me to call Reservations.
I’ve been able to make fairly complicated changes before via Twitter, but it’s hit or miss as you can’t really talk to international reissue yourself if needed.

On another note: I got quoted an extra 60k to change SFO-TPE-SIN to SFO-TPE-SYD. Is that right or should I push more? And what is the farthest I can fly on an 85k one-way? Looking to maximize this trip.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by dlflyer00

I’ve been able to make fairly complicated changes before via Twitter, but it’s hit or miss as you can’t really talk to international reissue yourself if needed.

On another note: I got quoted an extra 60k to change SFO-TPE-SIN to SFO-TPE-SYD. Is that right or should I push more? And what is the farthest I can fly on an 85k one-way? Looking to maximize this trip.
Pricing for SYD is correct. DL stopped allowing Australia/NZ via Asia as one award year and half or two ago. Everyone was booking US-PVG/TPE/CAN/etc..-OZ/NZ as theres rarely availability on DL/VA metal to SYD.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 5:16 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Pricing for SYD is correct. DL stopped allowing Australia/NZ via Asia as one award year and half or two ago. Everyone was booking US-PVG/TPE/CAN/etc..-OZ/NZ as theres rarely availability on DL/VA metal to SYD.
SIN, KUL, CGK, DPS is the closest one can go to if wanting to go to Australia on a through-fare via Asia. Then from there can just buy a relatively cheap LCC ticket for the final leg, and enjoy the stopover on the way.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 3:34 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Dont forget Garuda Indonesia is a Skyteam partner. Not sure what airport but they do fly from CGK last time I knew.
Only Garuda flights I see involve Delta TPAC at 145K and up.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 6:01 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by bobf
Only Garuda flights I see involve Delta TPAC at 145K and up.
Avoid any DL flights. That will practically always result in massive overcharges. Fly MU, CI, KE or some other option over the ocean, if you are connecting to GA, and just avoid DL.

DL will always try to sell you overpriced flights, as is the case the moment a DL flight is in the equation (usually). You cannot search Origin to Destination and expect to find the best and most logical routing or the best price; DL does not want you to see or find it. You need to search segment by segment, avoid DL flights, and then piece it together, to get it to price at the normal level.
flyerCO and italdesign like this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 1:27 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, CC Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, DL PM
My mother just used her certificate to book a last minute flight for my sister. The savings was $400. However, Delta charged her credit card twice and issued the tickets twice (My sister and her husband ended up with two tickets each). When my Mother called Delta to get them to straighten this out, the customer service rep stated that this was a known issue with the companion certificate and was going to cancel one set of tickets and issue a refund.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 4:41 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Just used mine to go to EYW and saved about $640. Companion could never pull up this trip in her profile....I had all boarding passes....bit of an issue once hers wouldn't scroll over at boarding. Good value though!!!
Old Jul 11, 2019, 10:41 am

Programs: DL Gold
Finding some JFK-Europe availability for later in the summer at 80K RT. However, I would like to return on a different alliance that has biz class availability. When I try to book the same DL outbound leg one-way, it is 115K.

Is there a way around these dumb games DL plays? Does calling do anything? Possible to book the DL metal through KLM/AF? Anything else I should consider?
Old Jul 11, 2019, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

No. The award requires a RT to get the lower price. Just like most cash fares require RT for lower price.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 11:20 am

Programs: DL Gold
No. The award requires a RT to get the lower price. Just like most cash fares require RT for lower price.
That's too bad. I've also tried to search for a multi-city award, with a DL or DL partner return TATL, to see if that brings the price back down, but the search tool breaks down and comes back with "no seats available". Looks like I'll book one-way TATL with FlyingBlue, and the return leg with *A, and forget about trying to go through DL.com.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.