Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2018, 10:27 am

Read through this thread from this year and couldn't find the answer, perhaps its buried.

Is there something I should be looking for on delta.com which signifies the saver rate (bookable by Korean). It's my understanding the "saver" rate is the rate that matches the old mileage chart, right?

For example
I priced out a MCI-LAX itinerary this fall. I know I should b e looking for 12.5k miles OE. But I'm finding 7k, 8k, 10k. Are these all saver rates bookable on partners?

I then look for LAX-OGG. The internet tells me I'm supposed to look for 22.5k miles. But I'm finding 22k miles.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MCIdave
Read through this thread from this year and couldn't find the answer, perhaps its buried.

Is there something I should be looking for on delta.com which signifies the saver rate (bookable by Korean). It's my understanding the "saver" rate is the rate that matches the old mileage chart, right?

For example
I priced out a MCI-LAX itinerary this fall. I know I should b e looking for 12.5k miles OE. But I'm finding 7k, 8k, 10k. Are these all saver rates bookable on partners?

I then look for LAX-OGG. The internet tells me I'm supposed to look for 22.5k miles. But I'm finding 22k miles.
DL offers discounted RT awards on some short haul routes. Rate that partner charges is up to them. They dont offer the discounted rates that DL does. Instead LAX-SFO costs as much as LAX-ATL for partners.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 8:19 pm

Korean J for two passengers using Delta SkyMiles and Skypass

Planning a trip for the wife and I to Korea from JFK in May 2019. I have a ton of Delta Skydong , but would rather fly a Korean A380 for 170,000 Skydong round trip in J than the 4-500k+ to fly Delta’s A350. My understanding is that Korean only makes one seat in J available per flight for booking through Delta. I’m seeing plenty of award availability trough Korean Skypass for the dates I want to travel and have plenty of SPG/Marriott points to transfer to book Korean. Has anyone ever booked one ticket via Delta and one directly with Korean to get two people on the same Korean flight in J? Anyone see any potential issues in doing this that I’m not aware of?
Old Aug 1, 2018, 8:42 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by Doogpi
Planning a trip for the wife and I to Korea from JFK in May 2019. I have a ton of Delta Skydong , but would rather fly a Korean A380 for 170,000 Skydong round trip in J than the 4-500k+ to fly Delta’s A350. My understanding is that Korean only makes one seat in J available per flight for booking through Delta. I’m seeing plenty of award availability trough Korean Skypass for the dates I want to travel and have plenty of SPG/Marriott points to transfer to book Korean. Has anyone ever booked one ticket via Delta and one directly with Korean to get two people on the same Korean flight in J? Anyone see any potential issues in doing this that I’m not aware of?
That should be perfectly fine, as KE has plenty of award inventory (and all at normal pricing, none of this opacity of Dullta award pricing) for its own SkyPass members.

Suggest you book the flight using DL SM first. Once that is ticketed, then book the second flight with KE.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by RealHJ
That should be perfectly fine, as KE has plenty of award inventory (and all at normal pricing, none of this opacity of Dullta award pricing) for its own SkyPass members.

Suggest you book the flight using DL SM first. Once that is ticketed, then book the second flight with KE.
thank you. That is my plan. Also plan on having KE put the award on hold while I wait for SPG points to transfer.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by Doogpi

thank you. That is my plan. Also plan on having KE put the award on hold while I wait for SPG points to transfer.
I thought I read on either onemileatatime or some other site that KE no longer allows holds (for any amount of time) on award tickets. Which sucks, IMO.
https://onemileatatime.com/korean-ai...d-ticket-hold/
Old Aug 2, 2018, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
DL offers discounted RT awards on some short haul routes. Rate that partner charges is up to them. They dont offer the discounted rates that DL does. Instead LAX-SFO costs as much as LAX-ATL for partners.
Quick follow up:
I found these discounted rates on a one way search (was trying to search segment by segment). Off the top of your head, are these discounted domestic rates bookable on partners such as KE as saver rates?
Old Aug 2, 2018, 11:32 pm

Programs: DL PM, WN A-List
Question

Relatively new to this. Sorry if this is a repeat!
I have found a ticket which I think is good value. I route from RST-TPE through MSP and SFO. 85k skymiles for business. My ultimate destination is MNL but I cannot enter that into Delta.com without it showing an absurd 300,000 price and no China airlines option. I also found (two days later) a 30k business from TPE-MNL. Is it worth booking that for a total of 115k one way, or should I call and see if they can price it together to keep it down at 85? Thanks for any responses.
J
Old Aug 2, 2018, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by BusinessElite25
I have found a ticket which I think is good value. I route from RST-TPE through MSP and SFO. 85k skymiles for business. My ultimate destination is MNL but I cannot enter that into Delta.com without it showing an absurd 300,000 price and no China airlines option. I also found (two days later) a 30k business from TPE-MNL. Is it worth booking that for a total of 115k one way, or should I call and see if they can price it together to keep it down at 85? Thanks for any responses.
J
Delta.com rarely shows all options with partners. Call. They should be able to do as one.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Delta.com rarely shows all options with partners. Call. They should be able to do as one.

Great! Thank you so much
Old Aug 3, 2018, 11:37 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Great! Thank you so much
CI connections are never bookable online, nor do they show up to agents when they search in the buggy and untested Delta res system.

You have to call and walk the agent through it, the additional options, checkboxes, etc. they have to check, teach them to ignore the additive wrong price displayed and go to ticket it, when at the last stage CI connections should price out right as a through fare. You just have to tell agents to click on what where and how to search for it, as most have no clue as they haven't been trained (it appears) in how to search for the more logical and shorter route connecting award flights.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 3:20 pm

Thank you RealHJ, I will definitely try this.

I tried routing through other places and did find (when availablity was existent) ATL-ICN-TPE with the segment on CI, so it confused me why routes weren’t available like that for MNL!
Old Aug 3, 2018, 6:08 pm

Thank you RealHJ, I will definitely try this.

I tried routing through other places and did find (when availablity was existent) ATL-ICN-TPE with the segment on CI, so it confused me why routes weren’t available like that for MNL!
Oh, that is going to TPE. It just won't show connections via TPE (i.e. xxx-TPE-yyy).

dullta.com just doesn't like TPE/CI, for some reason. But also in general it'll often try to put you on circuitous much longer routing and often not offer the available much more shorter and direct connections that are readily available. Best is to search segment by segment, then have an agent piece it together for the specific flights and connections you want. They can do it segment by segment and then make it price origin to destination, or manipulate settings to force the connection you want to show up in an O&D search. Good agents will know how, but many others won't, unfortunately..
Old Aug 4, 2018, 12:46 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
J
If your "connection" is two days, I'd expect to pay additive pricing. If you can find availability that would result in a connection of <24 hours, you might be able to convince an agent to book the whole thing at 85k.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 10:11 pm

Thanks all. It took a little work but the agent was finally able to price it as one. I ultimately decided against it as the CI layover times to MNL would be 90 minutes or 7.5 hours. I was able to book an EVA 777 with 3 hours connection. Apparently you can choose PE seats with Y tickets! Yay!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.