Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2018, 2:02 pm

Programs: DL DM; Hyatt Globalist; etc
First time getting a companion fare here - I have a question that I see has been discussed above a bit. I'm looking to do NYC-GEG-NYC over the summer, and I've got some questions about whether what I'm seeing online is the end-all of what's available, or if I'm missing something.

Using ITA Matrix, I'm able to price out a desired itinerary by selecting fare classes with "dl+ /f bc=l bc=u bc=t bc=x bc=v" and my origin/destination, which I would think shows me the same availability as the online booking tool - but it isn't! When I look online for NYC to GEG, I only get a single outbound option even though ITA says there are numerous. Selecting that one option brings me a host of return options, which is great, but the one outbound flight leaves way earlier than I'd like. I'm guessing this has to do with fare basis, and it's not as clear cut as I'd think, but I would like to know more!

Should I just call in and ask, or is that pointless?

Last edited by manacit; Feb 8, 2018 at 2:11 pm
Old Feb 8, 2018, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Just redeemed a Reserve cert for ATL-MIA in FC. Yes it's a short flight but decent FCM price made into a very nice deal with the cert, plus a good opportunity to burn some SPG/Marriott points. Mrs. Lee and I needed to get somewhere warm for a couple days and this will be a nice, cheap solution.

Also note that we booked only about a month in advance and nearly every flight in both directions was available using the cert on the exact days we want. Without the cert, we'd have just booked the cheapest AA or DL flight of the day which would be $800 total. instead we paid ~$520ai for both FC tickets. Count it as $280 value for the cert and I'm fine paying Amex the remaining $170 AF for essentially an FC upgrade on this trip, SC access, and some MQMs.

Last year using a similar calculation, we went to PHX and got $400 in value from the cert (arguably more as we may have WFBF'd this trip without the cert).

TL;DR we are fans of the Amex companion cert and anyone who doesn't want theirs is welcome to gift it to us.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 4:14 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Just used my platinum companion certificate to fly MSP-BZN — ticket retail price $531. I'm pretty pleased with that value.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA; Delta GM
I used mine for our warmer weather trip later this year. I thought it was a great deal.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 5:01 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by hamburglar
FYI, I found a segment from CAN-LAX on China Southern business class (on Delta.com and ExpertFlyer). When I tried to book, it said it wasn't available. I tried online and by phone. Both did not work.
Did you HUCA?
Old Feb 8, 2018, 9:27 pm

Hi! I need to go to South Africa next december, but I can't seem to find the lowest price with Skymiles for going there. Do you know what is the lowest quantity of Skymiles that I need to travel from the US? (either in Y or J)
Cheers!
Old Feb 9, 2018, 8:11 am

Programs: DL DM; Hyatt Globalist; etc
Originally Posted by manacit
First time getting a companion fare here - I have a question that I see has been discussed above a bit. I'm looking to do NYC-GEG-NYC over the summer, and I've got some questions about whether what I'm seeing online is the end-all of what's available, or if I'm missing something.

Using ITA Matrix, I'm able to price out a desired itinerary by selecting fare classes with "dl+ /f bc=l bc=u bc=t bc=x bc=v" and my origin/destination, which I would think shows me the same availability as the online booking tool - but it isn't! When I look online for NYC to GEG, I only get a single outbound option even though ITA says there are numerous. Selecting that one option brings me a host of return options, which is great, but the one outbound flight leaves way earlier than I'd like. I'm guessing this has to do with fare basis, and it's not as clear cut as I'd think, but I would like to know more!

Should I just call in and ask, or is that pointless?

Ended up just booking what was available online and resigning myself to an early morning. Not bad - JFK-MSP-GEG and then GEG-SEA-JFK for $582 for 2 pax. It would have cost around $550 for one pax in not-BE. Pretty good value for the $195 AF when you combine it with the MQD waiver!
Old Feb 9, 2018, 11:21 am

I've used it four times successfully over the last year now from mine/SO's personal/business cards, without any major availability issues (with the caveat that I've always booked 8-10 months out):
  • Seattle - RapidCity over July 4th weekend, typical roundtrip prices are $600-700. Decent availability, but not every flight was offered. Booking far out in advance, the schedule change helped in getting me on my desired flight eventually.
  • Seattle - Detroit direct flights, tons of availability daily, typical prices $400 roundtrip over summer weekends.
  • Seattle - GrandJunction (Colorado), typical prices $500 over long holiday weekends.
  • Seattle - Milwaukee, typical prices $350 over summer weekends.
I'm an Alaska Airlines MVP flyer based in Seattle, and literally the only times I've flown delta is using these certificates to the above cities which have less alaska airlines service. So far its turned out great.

After deducting the $95 x 4 fees of the credit cards, and the taxes ~$30 per flight paid, and the lack of mileage earning, this averages out to approx $350 discount per certificate. So, pretty good I guess.

The availabilityhas never matched what I've seen on ita matrix or even at times google flights. So ignore those and plug in your dates in delta.com

Besides the obvious savings, by far the best things about these fares is that I'm not put in a position to choose if I should pay $20-30 extra per direction to upgrade myself from basic economy fares (so total $100 for two people round trip). I don't think its worth it ever to pay extra just to pick a seat since I never check bags, so if this fare put me in basic economy, I likely would've accepted it and taken it like a champ. But since these fares don't even give that option, I'm a little bit happier. Sometimes the absence of choice makes life a little better.

Given my good experiences I'm actually tempted to just reapply for the delta amex cards (already cancelled), even though I won't get the bonus, just for a $300 or so discount next year for whatever flight.

Last edited by nomiiiii; Feb 9, 2018 at 11:28 am
Old Feb 9, 2018, 5:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA Plat, Hertz Pres. Club. SPG Gold
FYI, I found a segment from CAN-LAX on China Southern business class (on Delta.com and ExpertFlyer). When I tried to book, it said it wasn't available. I tried online and by phone. Both did not work.
Originally Posted by knit-in
Did you HUCA?
I'm going through the same issue with China Southern on their CAN-JFK route. Shows online, but can't book it there and neither can the agents. I've HUACA many times, same result. Each time I'm told "this happens a lot with Asian partners. They have old systems and don't update inventory." Very frustrating for sure!
Old Feb 9, 2018, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by FSUnole03
I'm going through the same issue with China Southern on their CAN-JFK route. Shows online, but can't book it there and neither can the agents. I've HUACA many times, same result. Each time I'm told "this happens a lot with Asian partners. They have old systems and don't update inventory." Very frustrating for sure!
Yes, the issue with Delta.com showing phantom inventory has been known a while. I am a new user of Expert Flyer, but I have been told the inventory they show is reliable.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 9:29 pm

I had the same thing happen, just a few moments ago! Expert Flyer sent me an alert for SYD-CAN-DEL on China Southern, and I immediately called Delta.

The agent could not book the flight. I gave her the specific flight numbers, date and times, but no dice.

She further looked into it and said that Delta is not authorized to issue awards on these airlines if they are not originating (or terminating, I am assuming) in the United States. Since my flight is from Sydney to New Delhi, Delta cannot (or is not "authorized) issue award tickets on CZ, China Eastern or Vietnam.

Before I call again, is there any specific instructions/ requests I can make to help the agent help me redeem this flight? Conversely, is there somewhere I can confirm what she said about being unable to issue award flights that don't involve travel from the US?
Old Feb 10, 2018, 7:11 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, CC Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, DL PM
I booked a JAX - ROA for $382 for 2 people. This is a trip that my fiance has wanted to take for a while. However, the high cost of the airfare plus the high hotel costs for the weekend was causing me to say no. But, using the companion fare plus the points + cash made the weekend reasonable.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 10:35 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
She further looked into it and said that Delta is not authorized to issue awards on these airlines if they are not originating (or terminating, I am assuming) in the United States. Since my flight is from Sydney to New Delhi, Delta cannot (or is not "authorized) issue award tickets on CZ, China Eastern or Vietnam.
Made up rules are the best rules!
Old Feb 10, 2018, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by akcae
Made up rules are the best rules!
Lol, yes!

I had the same thing happen, just a few moments ago! Expert Flyer sent me an alert for SYD-CAN-DEL on China Southern, and I immediately called Delta.

The agent could not book the flight. I gave her the specific flight numbers, date and times, but no dice.

Before I call again, is there any specific instructions/ requests I can make to help the agent help me redeem this flight? Conversely, is there somewhere I can confirm what she said about being unable to issue award flights that don't involve travel from the US?
I tweeted @ Delta last night to confirm what the agent told me. The response was (I paraphrase) that that was BS, and if there is availability then I should have no problem booking it.

Called again this morning, and the long and short of it is that some agents are just shoddy but some are simply great! There was still availability on EF, and while she couldn't see SYD-CAN-DEL, she decided to check segment by segment and in less than five minutes was able to price out the reward, had it confirmed, and I was done. Just like that.

akcae likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 2:14 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
That is a lot of nonsense and total made up lies, as surely the agent very well knew.

Making up stories and telling outright lies is one thing that Dullta truly excels at, at all levels - the few res agents who do that take their cue from corporate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.