Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2012, 3:08 pm

Programs: Delta -DM"working on KM" Hhonors-Gold Priorityclub- Plat
I have never had any problem using my Delta (reserve) companion cert. 2 years ago I scored DEN-JFK for $400 - for first class. Just used this years for COS-MCO over memorial day (May 23rd-29th) for $401 coach.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by OnTimePlease
Any tips on finding that hidden subset of LUT inventory? Is it available on EF?
I don't think there's any way to, however, in dozens of these cert redemptions, it has never taken me all that long just using Delta's generally poor engine and trying a few different date combos.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 3:40 pm

Programs: Delta DM 2 Million Miler, Hilton DM, Priority Club Platinum
Which flight are you on that has an international aircraft. Just flew a LAX-JFK international aircraft yesterady at 4:30pm and got a business Elite upgrade.

Originally Posted by amolkold
It's not luck -- if you read the rules and do some research on ExpertFlyer, you can book the tickets. Used a Plat cert last week to book a weekend trip next weekend. Though it'll be in coach, it's domestic with international aircraft and economy comfort.

Though I agree that it takes way too much work to use DL certs and Skypesos.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 4:56 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by DFWFlier
How can you find Amex companion certificate availability through ExpertFlyer - or anywhere else, for that matter, other than trial and error on delta.com? The problem is that they have to be booked in L, U, or T class, but just because there is LUT inventory available, it doesn't mean you can use the certificate. Certificate availability is a hidden subset of LUT inventory, which makes using them very frustrating.
It is a hidden subset, but you'll see what dates have L U T to start off with.

Originally Posted by anbhc
Which flight are you on that has an international aircraft. Just flew a LAX-JFK international aircraft yesterady at 4:30pm and got a business Elite upgrade.
All SFO/LAX-JFK flights are on the 757-200 international version with BusinessElite hard product/service and are eligible for gate upgrades. Pretty much only DMs get upgrades during the week (with the once in a while exception of this GM on a 767-300ER sub).

I'm flying LAX-ATL, which has a mix of 752s, domestic 763s, a 777-200LR, and an A330-200 most days. Got upgraded on the 77L a while back, it's still domestic F service but you get a flat bed. Awesome if you don't need wifi. ^
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Using SkyMiles on SkyTeam & Other Partners Master Thread

Link to discussion for this thread — please post your comments, questions, answers and suggestions here:
Using SkyMiles on SkyTeam & Other Partners: The Discussion Thread

------------

Thanks to Canarsie for allowing this thread to be a sticky. I've posted this thread in hopes of creating another one-stop guide for many who like me, have run into difficulties in booking SM awards on partner airlines. I hope for this thread to be useful and informative.

It will take some time to build so I encourage your patience, input, and feedback.

Update: Nov 2013 - I've added some tips on decoding pricing issues. See guide section 3, subsection "Incorrect Pricing".
Update: Sep 2014 - Although DL has now removed all use of EF for its own metal, EF still remains a useful tool to look at partner awards. For more info on the EF changes with DL please go to this thread.
Update: Oct 2014 - DL now has updated language regarding what SO's are. See this DL webpage.
Update: Nov 2014 - DL has now removed the ability to search for AS & VA awards on DL.com. As well, it appears international itin's are pricing incorrectly if a SO is involved. You can call a DL agent to get it to price correctly.
Update: Nov 2014 - DL has announced that SO's and OJ's will be eliminated from all award tickets booked on or after Jan 1, 2015. As well, tickets booked between now and then may have a SO provided there is not more than 2 segments from the origination to the destination. See Award rules for more details.
Update: Jan 2015 - added updates to guide based upon Booking 2015 SM thread here.
Update: Mar 2015 - DL has announced addition of many partners online which I have indicated in post 2 (Guide Section), but I will hold off updating post 3 until I get confirmation from FTers.

With many changes occurring, I'm going to cross reference a thread dedicated to all those changes here (while this thread will remain dedicated to booking partner awards):
Booking Delta Award Tickets, 2015 on

Booking SM Awards on ST & Other Partners Guide

This guide is meant to be a collection of tips in booking SM tickets on partner airlines. For further information please refer to the linked threads and if you still don't find the answer you're looking for please post in those relevant threads. If any information needs to be corrected, added, or updated - please post in this thread and I'll update the content accordingly. Thanks!

This guide is divided into 7 sections:
1. General info on partner bookings
2. How to search for partner awards
3. Valid routings and segment rules
4. Inventory, pricing issues, & fees
5. Blackout dates
6. Mileage UG's on partners
7. Various other SM Partner links

In the third post of this thread, I have also posted airline specific information on booking with SkyMiles, this includes:
- Fare class information
- Blackout dates
- How to search for specific airline inventory
- Specific tools to use
- Best SM redemption etc

Last edited by mnredfox; Mar 26, 2015 at 11:14 pm
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:35 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
GUIDE SECTION

1. General info on partner bookings
Booking on partners is one of the finest ways to use SM, but can also be one of the most frustrating due to the limited tools DL offers its fliers. But by reading through this guide hopefully you will find booking awards much easier.

• With the changes to the 2015 program, awards with partners no longer are constrained to the lowest award level (sadly). Tto know how many miles your partner booking will cost you it is best to refer to the published DL award mileage charts.

• Remember the proverbial search for one way advice. This is particularly helpful in piecing together complex itineraries and the way to go.

• Just like domestic awards on DL metal, you may place holds on award tickets with partners as well. Often DL will hold these reservations longer than 42 hours (some reports of up to a week), but note that DL does not promise a longer hold than 24 hours and there is a small chance the partner airline might drop the availability (in which case DL would likely just say sorry). Some DL agents won't do holds, so just call back.

• For more general information on SM awards, refer to DL's SM award rules.

2. How to search for partner awards
Searching for partner awards can be a major pain. Stories of DL flyers searching hours on various websites and spending equally as long on the phone with DL agents is far too common. But a few tricks shared here might save you a significant amount of time. Keep in mind partner awards must be on partner metal, they cannot be codeshare flights operated by carriers that DL has no SM partnership with (eg AS or HA).

• First, avoid DL.com. Seriously. Ever since DL got rid of NWA.com, DL.com has been a step backwards in the loss of not being able to search for many partners (as of Jan 2015 you can find DL, AF, KL, AZ, VA, AS, KE, and AM and HA [inter-island] inventory on DL.com) and a bigger issue of the broken DL award calendar. In March 2015, DL confirmed that you can book CZ, MU, CI, G3, GA, AR, SU, & VN online (but with limited routes). YMMV. This has been documented time and time again here on FT. Just search for broken award calendar. DL knows it's broke and clearly refuses to fix it. However, in some instances (eg DL metal or on KE) it may just be unavoidable, so tricks in this thread (best trick is to search OW segment by segment to piece together) are quite useful:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ss-awards.html

DL seems to be as of Jan 2015 putting new abilities to book partners on DL.com, but it remains spotty. Here are some recent reports:

Mar 15: DL confirms that CZ, MU, CI, and G3 are bookable online. DL later in March reported GA, AR, SU, & VN are bookable online, but not all routes. They lastly report issues with VA which they are trying to fix. Overall, YMMV
Jan 2015: CZ, MU, and VN are bookable but have been having issues. KE has been spotty since Sep 2014 but seems to be better in Jan 2015
Oct 2014: AS and VA were removed from DL.com, but put back and now seem to be available (Jan 2015)
Sept 2014: KE became spotty around this time, and has often been seen on DL.com but remains spotty (Jan 2015)

• The best alternative is thus to utilize partner websites. See the partner information post below for airline specific tips, but in general airfrance.us (finding AF/KL/AZ/DL/CI/CZ availability), klm.com (same as airfrance.us), and alaskaair.com (for AS and DL availability) are your best bets. Please note that the KVS Tool Award Class codes for DL/AF/KL/AZ/OK/RO/CZ/VN/KQ/AM/UX/ME are CS for Business Awards & YS for Economy Awards. Also, airfrance.us and klm.com only can search out to 300 days.

• Award inventory search tools are your friend as well. Expert Flyer, KVS, and the free Wandering Aramean tools are the go-to's. With these tools you can search the specific fare class availability that needs to exist in order to book your award. Recently (2013) I have found Awardtravelr to work well with CZ, KE, and CI.

As of mid-2012, there has been increasing issues with AF (and sometimes KL) availability. Often AF.com shows "classic" availability but DL cannot access that inventory. It appears that AF has created a faux "classic" award that is only available to FB members and not to ST partners. More info will be posted on this as it is available, but try finding the lower priced classic award (eg intra-EU true ST partner classic is 30K whereas FB faux "classic" is 40K). See this thread for more info. The best bet for now is to use EF to search for O/X availability.

• Lastly calling works, and you have to book it this way anyways since likely you can't book it on DL.com. So call. Higher elite agents are most helpful (if you get the Chisholm agents you're in luck!). There has been varied success in people calling DL SIN or DL HKG in that agents there can see different availability. Keep in mind many DL agents will simply do a search in Deltamatic and not find partner flights. If they tell you it doesn't exists politely inform them of the timing and routing. If you still have no luck hang up and speak to someone else. Some DL agents refuse to do point to point searches (due to the fact they don't want misconnects), but it can be found if you've done your homework. Many times elite agents will transfer you to the ST international desk or manual pricing desk or more recently IMR (international manual reissue) - these agents are often experts at booking complex partner itineraries.

More links:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ve-thread.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ml#post2804833
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/flyin...ool-af-kl.html

3. Valid routings and segment rules
As of 2015, DL has removed the ability to have stop-overs (SO) on award tickets, one of the previously most valuable aspects of award tickets. You can book open jaw (OJ) tickets which will be priced based upon one way pricing. While DL's website lists SO or OJ, as stated above SO's are no longer allowed. Keep in mind, since many partner awards consist of international itineraries, international stop-overs are considered stops for over 24 hours. Thus you can layover in a city for up to 24 hours without it counting as a stop-over.

Other than RTW tickets (see links below in section 7), keep in mind that the Delta enforces a MPS and MPM (max permitted segments and miles) rules of 8 segments (4 each direction), and MPM is a function of your routing (refer to EF/KVS as only DL manual pricing desk agents know the MPM). Keep in mind that you are allowed to exceed the MPM if the carrier you're flying publishes a fare routed that way. This is one area where sometimes DL.com prices correctly and over the phone does not. So the solution here is to self-redeem (ask agent to put you on hold, then redeem yourself online). Lastly, it is perfectly acceptable to mix carriers/metal to form different routings (including ST and non-ST). For instance, if you wanted to fly from TPE-PVG, you don't have to fly direct on CI. So long as availability exists, you could fly TPE-KE-ICN-MU-PVG and it should not be considered two segments (thus doubling the miles).

Lastly, keep in mind there are NO married segments in award tickets for partners (DL metal only itins may have married segments).

4. Inventory issues & fees
• One of the most frustrating issues with booking partner awards is if you find the proper award class availability (via one of the tools above) and give DL a call, DL agents cannot find the availability. There are many causes of this (DL IT, communication issues between DL and partners, potential errors in tool lookups, etc) but your best bet is to either call back later (sometimes overnight systems sync regarding what DL can access) or request a long or manual sell. This is due to the fact that their generic search for seats via Deltamatic (I believe they used Direct Access for this search) won't return anything, but sometimes inventory might actually exist.

• A manual or long sell is a manual request for award seat availability that DL agents can request of a partner airline. This is something that is done via Deltamatic/GDS and is a manual entry (hence manual sell). DL agents literally will request a seat on a specific flight (they enter in flight details) for a specific fare class. While many DL agents will outright refuse to do this, insisting their search done on Deltamatic is accurate, requesting (kindly) for this will often yield success (i.e. you will be able to get an award seat when the original search done on Deltamatic indicated no seats available). The airlines that doing long sells is known to work for with DL are: CZ, CI, MU, and MH. Manual sells will not yield different results with AS, AF, KL, KE, AZ, and AZ. When a long sell is successful, the agent will receive back an "HK" code which in Amadeus speak means "holding confirmed" (i.e. the seat is confirmed). If you succeed in getting this to work, it is advisable to book the award and not just place it on hold. In some rare instances if the agents cannot pull the flights via schedule but can find it point to point, you may have to request them to do long sells on carriers that don't normally require it (KE), at this point you'll likely need to be with a Skyteam desk agent. If unconfirmed agent will get "UC" code, and in rare instances DL's system returns long sell denied (I don't quite know what this means yet).

Incorrect pricing often occurs with partners, another extremely frustrating experience when booking on partners. Most DL agents will simply shrug and tell you it is what it is or that they can only do what the computer tells them, but if you find an agent willing to work with you, the outcome is often good. For example, if I wanted to fly ATL-AF-CDG-AZ-FCO-KL-AMS-KL-ATL in J it should be 100K. But often you'll get back something like 150K or higher (indicating 3 legs, not 2). What is happening is the DL award pricing engine is counting double segments somewhere (i.e. ATL-AF-CDG and CDG-AZ-FCO may be priced as two separate segments in J) or doing "point to point" pricing. Ask the agent how it is pricing out and trouble shoot from there. Patience and coaching the DL agents are your friends here. Here are a few other tips:
- Ensure the agent is coding the flights correctly, it might be a code-share issue
- Have the agent check to ensure it is not a married segment issue
- If "point to point" ticketing is occurring, you can ask to see if searching from origin to destination (without manually forcing your routing or connections) can bring it down. Ask the agent to decode the pricing for you (what segments are costing what). A good agent can do this for you, but often an lazy or untrained agent cannot. One fool-proof (but a bit burdensome) trick is that if you're a PM/DM, you can have the ticket issued and then decode it yourself. A great discussion on this runs from posts 1359-1405 in the "How to Search for Low Tier Business Awards" sticky.
- Some agents may claim that your routing is not a "valid routing" given your origination and destination. This is likely to happen if you fly a single carrier (i.e. ATL-AF-CDG-AF-FCO) but have the agent continue to work with the reservation. Not being a valid routing is something that should not be an issue. However, if you do have stopovers often you must make them along legal routings. Hence hubs are your friend.
- If all else fails, do not give up. Kindly request to have someone at the international manual reissue or ST desk look into it. I've had a very complicated 3 country 3 carrier J ticket originally reprice at 3 times the level it was, after an hour with the manual repricing desk they magically "fixed" it.
- Unfortunately there is no secret sometimes to this issue, so in the end remember the FT mantra of "call call call".

• DL of course will levy a $25 booking fee (waiver GM or higher) for booking over the phone, which is a joke since most partners cannot be booked online. A simple trick to this is to have an agent put the PNR together, place it on hold, and go online yourself to redeem it.

• DL the past few years has been increasing two sneaky and notorious fees often blurred as a tax. First is the carrier-imposed YQ or YR surcharge, which is often labelled as a fuel surcharge. The amount is generally based on the amount of YQ/YR that the operating carrier would charge on a revenue ticket in the given class of service when the ticket is sold with a US origin. DL collects the YQ/YR surcharge on many of its partners at this point. However, DL, AF, KL, and AZ metal will not result in YQ/YR collection except if you originate in Europe. This is often referred to as the international origination surcharge (IOS). It does not apply for tickets originating outside of Europe on DL metal. In addition to Europe, tickets originating in the Middle East and involving travel on AF or KL (and maybe AZ) will invoke the IOS. Note that the IOS is simply just a rebranding of the YQ/YR surcharge. It will be coded on your ticket receipt as YQ and/or YR. The best way to estimate your fees/taxes is to build a paid ticket with your itinerary on ITA and check the fare breakdown.

5. Blackout dates
Blackout dates can be a major pain, so ensure that you know these up front. Blackout dates only exist for a certain number of airlines (KE, CI, MU, AE, and recently CZ) but can severely restrict your ability to use your miles. What's interesting is that the partners that instill these blackout dates actually have certain conditions to these dates (see third link below), i.e. blackouts will only affect certain flights (international, domestic, certain routings etc). But DL in all their brilliance applies a universal blackout meaning all flights on that carrier are blacked out. In other words, DL's blackout dates are more restrictive than the original partner carriers that impose them. Since DL buries these into its system and routing rules, forget trying to argue with DL and make it work. Just avoid the dates.

As of March 2015, it appears only CI and CZ blackout dates are applying, and previously reported KE dates are no longer an issue with booking DL SM tickets on KE. YMMV, so please report your experience. Here are the CZ 2015 Blackout dates.

Thanks to the FT-ers (esp RealHJ) who have compiled these.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ll-2012-a.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ae-2013-a.html
2014 Blackout dates here
Award Guru blackout dates
2015 KE blackout dates
Booking Award tickets from 2015 On Thread

6. Mileage UG's on partners
• Mileage UG's may only be done on ST partner airlines if full Y (or various other full) fares are purchased. Upgrades must be processed 72 hours in advance. See DL's upgrade page or the ST upgrade page for more information.

• The only two exceptions to this rule is with AF/KLM. On KLM you may UG to O (J class) with a Y, B, M, or U fare. And with AF you can upgrade to O class with a purchase of an S or W (premium economy) fare. However, currently there is some information indicating that AF upgrades are about to end. Please see thread links below for more on this topic. AF upgrades are not permitted on the 747 and both AF/KL upgrades are for TATL flights only (varied success from folks on intra-EU flights).

• Lastly, keep in mind that mileage UG's must be processed 72 or more hours in advance, thus do not apply for airport waitlist standby upgrades (which apply to SWU's only).

For more upgrade information, see links below (first link is a master thread kudos to rwoman)
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...-skymiles.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...rance-klm.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...premium-w.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...-see-them.html

7. Other important SM booking links
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ss-awards.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...eem-exist.html

8. Other misc links
Milepoint Definitive Guide to booking SM
Boarding Area DL & Partner Award Classes
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...am-awards.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...l-j-2-pax.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...cket-asia.html

Last edited by mnredfox; May 30, 2017 at 10:24 pm
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:36 pm

SkyTeam & Other Partner Airline Information

SkyTeam Airlines: (sorted alphabetically by airline code)

AF - Air France
Award classes (J/Y): O/X
Upgrade classes (J): O for Y/W/S
Blackout dates: No
Best search method: EF/KVS. airfrance.us/klm.com works but beware of the faux classic level (see post 1). For KVS tips for AF see here.
Long sell: No
EF availability: O/X
KVS availability: O/X
YQ: No
Hubs: CDG, ORY, TLS, MRS
Best route: JFK/IAD-CDG A388
Other tips:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ir-france.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...rance-klm.html

AM - Aero Mexico
Award classes (J/Y): C/Z or U
Upgrade classes (J): R from Y
Best search method: KVS, airfrance.us/klm.com or DL.com
Long sell:
EF availability: NA
KVS availability: C/Z or U
Hubs: MEX, GDL
Best route:
Other tips:

AR - Aerolinas Aregentinas
Award classes (J/Y): U/X (P is domestic F)
Upgrade classes (J): U
Best search method: KVS or EF (DL.com on various routes)
Long sell:
EF availability: X
KVS availability: X
Hubs: AEP, EZE
Best route:
Other tips:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...argentina.html

AZ - Alitalia
Award classes (J/Y): Z/U
Upgrade classes (J):
Best search method: airfrance.us/klm.com, EF/KVS
Long sell: Yes
EF availability: Z/U
KVS availability: Z/U
Hubs: FCO, LIN
Best route:
Other tips:

CI - China Airlines
Award classes (J/Y): O/S
Upgrade classes (J): I from Y
Blackout dates: Yes, new for 2015
Best search method: airfrance.us/klm.com, KVS (DL.com according to DL)
EF availability: S
KVS availability: O/SI
YQ: Yes
Hubs: TPE, KHH
Best route:
Other tips:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...n-skyteam.html

CZ - China Southern
Award classes (F/J/Y): P(China domestic)/I/O
Upgrade classes (F/J): P/I from Y
Blackout dates: Yes - new for 2015
Best search method: EF/KVS, airfrance.us/klm.com
EF availability: P/I/O
KVS availability: P/I/O
YQ:
Hubs: CAN, SZX, PEK, PVG, DLC, SHE, PEK, CGO, CSX
Best route: LAX-CAN A388
Other tips:

KE - Korean
Upgrade classes (J): Z from Y
Blackout dates: No (as of March 2015 - existed in 2014)
Best search method: KVS, EF for JP/TW flights only, DL.com (as of Oct 2012, but as of Sep 2014 having issues again), otherwise call DL (KE's skypass availability doesn't match DL's).
EF availability: A/O and Z
KVS availability: A/O and Z/X
YQ: Yes (though currently not being collected)
Hubs: ICN
Best route: LAX/JFK-ICN A388
Other tips:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...le-dl-com.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...-dl-miles.html

KL - KLM
Upgrade classes (J): O from Y/B/M
Best search method: klm.com/airfrance.us (confirm with DL.com), EF/KVS
Hubs: AMS
Best route:
Other tips:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...lta-miles.html

KQ - Kenya Airways
Award classes (J/Y): O/W
Upgrade classes (J): O
Best search method: airfrance.us/klm.com or KVS
Long sell:
KVS availability: O/W
Hubs: NBO
Best route:
Other tips:

ME - Middle East Airlines
Award classes (J/Y): R or O/X
Upgrade classes (J): R or O
Best search method: KVS
Long sell:
KVS availability: R/X
Hubs: BEY
Best route:
Other tips:

MU - China Eastern
Award classes (F/J/Y): A/O/X
Upgrade classes (F/J): A/D
Best search method: KVS, DL.com (according to DL). Ask for long sell. EF does not work, otherwise try MU.com and search for award inventory (not fool proof but close). See this post.
Long sell: Yes, most effective partner
EF availability: A/O/X (recent reports of EF not being accurate with MU)
KVS availability: A/O/X
YQ: Yes - note flights with MU segments may trigger high YQ fees charged by all partners including DL on a single itin.*
Hubs: PVG, SHA, PEK, KMG
Best route: PVG-JFK A346
Other tips:

OK - CSA Czech
Award classes (J/Y): Z/E
Upgrade classes (J): Z from Y/M
Best search method: airfrance.us/klm.com, KVS/Wandering Aramean
Long sell:
KVS availability: Z/E
Hubs: PRG
Best route:
Other tips:

RO - Tarom
Award classes (J/Y): Z/X
Upgrade classes (J): Z
Blackout dates:
Best search method: Wandering Aramean
Long sell:
EF availability:
KVS availability: Z/X
YQ:
Hubs: OTP
Best route:
Other tips:

SU - Aeroflot
Upgrade classes (J): O from Y/S
Best search method: EF/KVS, DL.com for various routes
Hubs: SVO
Best route:
Other tips:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...-aeroflot.html

SV - Saudia
Award classes (F/J/Y): A/O/X
Upgrade classes (F/J): A/O
Best search method: EF/KVS
Long sell:
EF availability: A/D/L
KVS availability: A/O/X
Hubs: JED, RUH, MED, DMM
Best route:
Other tips:

UX - Air Europa
Upgrade classes (J): O
Long sell:
EF availability: O/X (can someone with EF confirm please?)
Hubs: MAD, ACE, FUE, LPA, TFN, TFS
Best route:
Other tips:

VN - Vietnam
Award classes (J/Y): J/U
Upgrade classes (J): J
Best search method: airfrance.us/klm.com or KVS/Wandering Aramean
Long sell:
KVS availability: J/U
YQ: Hit or miss
Hubs: HAN, SGN
Best route:
Other tips:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...vn-flight.html

The following are non-ST partners:

AS - Alaska
Award classes (J/Y): A/W
Upgrade classes (J): NA
Best search method: alaskaair.com (DL.com has been spotty) or EF/KVS
EF availability: A/W
KVS availability: A/W
Hubs: SEA, PDX, LAX, SJC, OAK, SFO
Best route:
Other tips:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...-airlines.html

G3 - GOL
Award classes (J/Y): I/X
Best search method: DL.com (according to DL)
Long sell:
EF availability:
KVS availability: I/X
YQ:
Hubs: GIG, GRU
Best route:
Other tips:

HA - Hawaiian
Award classes (J/Y): D/T
EF availability: T
KVS availability: T
YQ:
Hubs: HNL, OGG
Best route:
Other tips:

MH - Malaysia
Award classes (J/Y): I?/S
Blackout dates: Yes?
Best search method: EF/KVS, call DL
EF availability: S
KVS availability: S
Best route: KUL
Other tips: MH post-merger has had increasing fees/taxes

VA - Virgin Australia International
Award classes (J/Y): Z/X
Best search method: Velocity rewards via VA's website (search RT), KVS, DL's website or call DL
EF availability: NA, only searches DJ H availability, not VA's
KVS availability: Z/X
YQ: Yes (although not yet being collected)
Hubs: LAX, SYD
Best route: LAX-SYD/MEL/BNE 777
Other tips: VA is known to have high fees/taxes
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ess-class.html

9W - Jet Airways (ends 15 Oct 2012)
Award classes (J/Y):
Upgrade classes (J):
Blackout dates:
Best search method:
Long sell:
EF availability:
KVS availability:
Hubs: BOM, DEL
Best route:

*Note on MU YQ. If you add a single MU segment the YQ fee of the whole itinerary may jump higher than the YQ fare tax of that single segment. (e.g. say you want to fly ICN-PVG on MU and YQ tax is $70**. Adding that segment will may make the overall ticket YQ to jump not by $70, but by a lot more like $300-400). I'm not sure exactly how and why this works (perhaps it triggers YQ from other carriers that don't charge YQ like KE)
**Typical method to calculate YQ is to use ITA and book regular fare ticket in same class of service.

Last edited by mnredfox; May 27, 2017 at 9:52 pm
Old May 29, 2013, 11:11 am

Programs: Delta, USAir, United, etc.
I Think They're Crooks!

After having used the Gold Card companion certificate successfully and then being screwed when (supposedly) using the "free" Platinum certificate, all I can figure is that they do whatever they want - especially if you are not upper-tier Elite status. I recently was going over expenses for a trip from late March when I found out that Delta charged me for my wife's "free" companion ticket - to the tune of $504.

Now hang with me here ... I had to book it on their special page (delta.com/redeem) and was forced to take a routing that was not of my choosing as a result, so I am not imagining having booked the companion cert. The charge showed up in my FEB '13 statement which, shame on me, I did not look at in detail at the time.

Now, since I am simply Silver "Elite" in my current role, they basically told me to sit and spin. Their web site couldn't have made such a burp. Right!

This is after they screwed me out of my Platinum status after having extended it back in '10 AND sending me their cutesie Tiffany crystal vase - only so plead ignorance.

Whelp, I'm awaiting a claim response from Amex and if they don't come through then they're both done.
Old May 29, 2013, 11:42 am

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by Comotoes
After having used the Gold Card companion certificate successfully and then being screwed when (supposedly) using the "free" Platinum certificate, all I can figure is that they do whatever they want - especially if you are not upper-tier Elite status. I recently was going over expenses for a trip from late March when I found out that Delta charged me for my wife's "free" companion ticket - to the tune of $504.

Now hang with me here ... I had to book it on their special page (delta.com/redeem) and was forced to take a routing that was not of my choosing as a result, so I am not imagining having booked the companion cert. The charge showed up in my FEB '13 statement which, shame on me, I did not look at in detail at the time.

Now, since I am simply Silver "Elite" in my current role, they basically told me to sit and spin. Their web site couldn't have made such a burp. Right!

This is after they screwed me out of my Platinum status after having extended it back in '10 AND sending me their cutesie Tiffany crystal vase - only so plead ignorance.

Whelp, I'm awaiting a claim response from Amex and if they don't come through then they're both done.
If you are positive they made an an error, you should charge it back if they refuse to correct it. It's your responsibility to keep a watch on your credit card bill. But you'd better understand what the rules of the cert are before you do that, as error on their part is less likely than error on yours.

Do you realize that when you use the cert, you are supposed to pay the fare for the first ticket and the fees/taxes for both the first and the companion? Are you saying they charged you $504 for both tickets combined, or they charged you the same $504 twice (once for yours, once for hers)?
Old May 30, 2013, 4:24 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, CC Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, DL PM
We used one gold certificate and one plat certificate a couple of weeks ago. I had done searches on ita and felt that our flight JAX-DTW for the plat certificate would be fine as it was in the same booking class (I think U) for both ways. There was no problem booking that certificate.

The gold certificate was MEM-DTW and I was concerned because the booking class was V. I was pleasantly surprised when I searched and the flights showed up. The 2 certificates saved us over $600 - well worth the fees for the card!
Old Jun 11, 2013, 5:44 pm
BLT

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hyatt Gold,
SUG AMS-JRO question

I am flying RT MSP-JRO via AMS in Sept 2013. Using a SUG cert I was able to get upgrades on the DL segments MSP-AMS and AMS-MSP. But no upgrades are available for the KLM flights, AMS-JRO-AMS. The JRO-AMS seg is actually already sold-out in first/bus.

How can I optimize my changes of getting upgraded on the AMS-JRO-AMS flights?
Old Jun 13, 2013, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by BLT
I am flying RT MSP-JRO via AMS in Sept 2013. Using a SUG cert I was able to get upgrades on the DL segments MSP-AMS and AMS-MSP. But no upgrades are available for the KLM flights, AMS-JRO-AMS. The JRO-AMS seg is actually already sold-out in first/bus.

How can I optimize my changes of getting upgraded on the AMS-JRO-AMS flights?
Please post all discussions in the Discussion thread per post 1

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...on-thread.html
Old Jun 27, 2013, 6:56 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Hilton, Choice, Wyndham
2014 KE black-out dates for DL:

January 1-6
January 29-Feb 3
May 3-6
May 16-July 1
July 18-Aug 24
Sept 5-10
Oct 3-5
Oct 9
Oct 11-12
Dec 10-31
Old Jul 9, 2013, 9:11 am

Thanks for this thread. Could you add info about Virgin Atlantic? Their flights are coming up in Delta's search tool now, but there does seem to be a married segment issue - for example, searching for SFO to DXB shows availability on Virgin Atlantic via LHR, but searching for SFO to LHR shows no availability on Virgin Atlantic (and higher redemption levels).
Old Aug 1, 2013, 7:03 am
Suspended

Good service

Delta skymiles are always good at their service and they always do the best to make their customers comfortable. I like traveling in Delta flight a lot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.