Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using SkyMiles on SkyTeam & Other Partners Master Thread

Using SkyMiles on SkyTeam & Other Partners Master Thread

Old Dec 11, 19, 7:32 pm

Programs: DL DM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime GE), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by Carq View Post
Hi! Iīve done lots on researches on google and this thread, but I still don’t understand well how to spend Skymiles.
I want to book an award from Brazil to Asia. Delta.com only shows expensive flights on DL. If I search GRU/GIG to CDG and CDG to TYO/PEK, I find the cheapest awards (90k on business) on AF for both segments.
If I search GRU/GIG to TYO/PEK or multi-city both segments, those AF seats don’t come up. Is it because of married segments, system limitation or South America to Asia through Europe is not allowed (only through North America)? Or this needs to be booked over the phone with several Huacas?
I want to have all flights in a single ticket and I also hope that it will price lower then 90k + 90k.
DL is - or at least, was not - like some airlines which may require additive pricing for S. America to N. Asia.

On the last DL award chart (Feb 2015), J between S.America and N. Asia was 90K normal price (up to 200K highest "level 5" price). Same price as to Europe, and lower price than to N. America, which leads me to believe it had routing restrictions that it must go via Europe (or Middle East), and/or may be directly (not sure if there are any such options). 99% likely routing was not allowed via N. America (as that was priced higher than N. Asia). If that is what you are seeing, that is likely additive pricing.
Carq likes this.
Old Dec 12, 19, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by RealHJ View Post
DL is - or at least, was not - like some airlines which may require additive pricing for S. America to N. Asia.

On the last DL award chart (Feb 2015), J between S.America and N. Asia was 90K normal price (up to 200K highest "level 5" price). Same price as to Europe, and lower price than to N. America, which leads me to believe it had routing restrictions that it must go via Europe (or Middle East), and/or may be directly (not sure if there are any such options). 99% likely routing was not allowed via N. America (as that was priced higher than N. Asia). If that is what you are seeing, that is likely additive pricing.
Thanks. My biggest grip is that it's impossible to find or build a ticket flying through Europe. I did a lot of random searches and it's always with DL metal only. And multi-city always error, even if on one-way I can find the seats from South America to Europe and from there to Asia.
Is it a long shot to try to book through the phone or just a case of Huacas?
Old Dec 12, 19, 11:49 am

Programs: DL DM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime GE), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by Carq View Post
Thanks. My biggest grip is that it's impossible to find or build a ticket flying through Europe. I did a lot of random searches and it's always with DL metal only. And multi-city always error, even if on one-way I can find the seats from South America to Europe and from there to Asia.
Is it a long shot to try to book through the phone or just a case of Huacas?
Probably a long (possibly very long) line of HUACA, as the phone res people get the same output as you do, unless you get through to someone who has access to the command line res system (very, very few still do nowadays I believe).

DL blocks connections on other airlines for many routes (for example, DL outright blocks most CI connections at TPE, period; likewise DL blocks most KE connections at NRT), though it is valid routing for a through fare. If put in and forced through manually it'll price right in the end, but it's VERY hard getting through to an agent who both knows and is willing to do so.
Carq likes this.
Old Dec 22, 19, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by largeeyes View Post
I was trying to see what a redemption on Garuda would cost from CGK to SOQ(Sorong), but I can't even get the connection to display, despite there being flights that day. Will online booking display intra-Indonesia flights such as that(in this case, with a stop in UPG)? How can I figure out availability and cost if not?
Just realized that here I am, 2 years later, looking for an answer to pretty much the same question.....
Old Dec 24, 19, 12:04 pm

I booked two award seats 006 stock on KQ between NBO-JFK (one way). The DL agent stated I would need to present the credit card at check in or in the alternative go to a KQ reservation office and get this credit card check completed. I went to the KQ office and they said they donít see any notes regarding this credit card check and that since itís on 006 stock there is nothing they can do. The issue is one ticket was using my brother AMEX to help meet minimum spend and the other award using spouse AMEX. We will probably cut these cards so may no longer have them next year when flying.

Has anyone dealt with this issue before and how was it resolved aside from presenting it at check-in? Iíd like to take care of this formality before hand.
Old Dec 24, 19, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by nas6034 View Post
I booked two award seats 006 stock on KQ between NBO-JFK (one way). The DL agent stated I would need to present the credit card at check in or in the alternative go to a KQ reservation office and get this credit card check completed. I went to the KQ office and they said they donít see any notes regarding this credit card check and that since itís on 006 stock there is nothing they can do. The issue is one ticket was using my brother AMEX to help meet minimum spend and the other award using spouse AMEX. We will probably cut these cards so may no longer have them next year when flying.

Has anyone dealt with this issue before and how was it resolved aside from presenting it at check-in? Iíd like to take care of this formality before hand.
You will be totally fine. Every time I book a ticket to originate to Africa or Latin America this check always comes up with Delta. You can go to any Delta location before travel and give them the confirmation number and they can check your card and clear the warning.

In your case the fact that youíre flying on Kenya metal means they wonít ever even see the notice. All they will see in their system is the ticket coupons that were synchronized from Deltaís system. They donít see any of the payment notes at all. The systems are otherwise very disconnected. KQ and Air France use the same system so in that case the warning would come through, but definitely not between Delta and Kenya Airways. If you want to be extra sure just go to a Delta counter anywhere in the world close to you beforehand and itíll all be taken care of.
Old Dec 24, 19, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by Utskicat View Post
You will be totally fine. Every time I book a ticket to originate to Africa or Latin America this check always comes up with Delta. You can go to any Delta location before travel and give them the confirmation number and they can check your card and clear the warning.

In your case the fact that youíre flying on Kenya metal means they wonít ever even see the notice. All they will see in their system is the ticket coupons that were synchronized from Deltaís system. They donít see any of the payment notes at all. The systems are otherwise very disconnected. KQ and Air France use the same system so in that case the warning would come through, but definitely not between Delta and Kenya Airways. If you want to be extra sure just go to a Delta counter anywhere in the world close to you beforehand and itíll all be taken care of.
Thanks and interesting. Unfortunately all my airport travel has seized until April. Will have to deal it then if not sooner.
Old Dec 30, 19, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nas6034 View Post
Thanks and interesting. Unfortunately all my airport travel has seized until April. Will have to deal it then if not sooner.
You don't need to be traveling to show card. Just goto airport.

FWIW KQ wont care. The ticket is issued by DL. In this case DL is acting as a Travel agent would. This means KQ gets paid regardless of if there's a chargeback. DL would be the one on the hook (just as a TA would be). If you were flying DL JNB-ATL then you would need to show card, as DL can place that restriction only when you checkin with DL flights.

Most agents at airline dont get the full nuances of card check policy.
Old Jan 2, 20, 6:53 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Diamond, Amex FHR, WS Gold, AA MVP Gold, Hawaiian Pulanami Platinum
How to upgrade an economy ticket KQ3 JFK-NBO to business using miles ?
Old Jan 2, 20, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tessy143 View Post
How to upgrade an economy ticket KQ3 JFK-NBO to business using miles ?
1)Have Flying Blue mile
2)if they participate, buy a full Y fare to use DL miles for what is called a Skyteam upgrade reward.
Old Jan 2, 20, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
1)Have Flying Blue mile
2)if they participate, buy a full Y fare to use DL miles for what is called a Skyteam upgrade reward.
KQ does not participate in Skyteam upgrades.
Old Jan 3, 20, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
My int'l award search skills have gotten rusty.

Casually looking at J awards to SIN from various US/CAN origins (mostly ATL, YYZ, YUL). When run the search and DL.com defaults to the calendar, it shows a bunch of dates with availability at 170k-220k. But clicking on any of these lists flights of which the cheapest award is 350k and most are 400k+.

Is this just phantom availability that isn't actually there once the system searches for exact dates? Or is there a way to actually get to the 170k options?

Also appears that the taxes shown on the calendar are way off from what is actually bookable (some higher, some lower).
Old Jan 5, 20, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by gooselee View Post
My int'l award search skills have gotten rusty.

Casually looking at J awards to SIN from various US/CAN origins (mostly ATL, YYZ, YUL). When run the search and DL.com defaults to the calendar, it shows a bunch of dates with availability at 170k-220k. But clicking on any of these lists flights of which the cheapest award is 350k and most are 400k+.

Is this just phantom availability that isn't actually there once the system searches for exact dates? Or is there a way to actually get to the 170k options?

Also appears that the taxes shown on the calendar are way off from what is actually bookable (some higher, some lower).
Sort the output by price vs "best match" that it defaults to. Then it should (but not necessarily will) show the lower priced options first (sometimes those don't appear on the first page of results). Remember that you will never be able to see or book online by searching origin to destination any connections in TPE on CI, which going to SIN is going to be some of the best J class options in SkyTeam. For that you have to search segment by segment, then call and get a competent agent to put it together and put it through (there's several steps they have to do exactly for it to work).
Old Jan 7, 20, 10:37 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Former Amtrak Select, Former Hilton Gold
Does anyone know if there is a way to use Skymiles on KLM flights that are not available on Delta.com? IE a flight from AMS to BCN?
Old Jan 7, 20, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by lost_perspicacity View Post
Does anyone know if there is a way to use Skymiles on KLM flights that are not available on Delta.com? IE a flight from AMS to BCN?
Those are bookable using miles online. You cant book a cash ticket on delta.com for that flight alone.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: