Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using SkyMiles on SkyTeam & Other Partners Master Thread

Using SkyMiles on SkyTeam & Other Partners Master Thread

Old Jun 8, 19, 11:47 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by RealHJ View Post
It may not be all DL. For quite a few years it was, it would appear at least, KE blocking KE51/52 and 53/54 flights (HNL-ICN, both of the daily flights) availability to other SkyTeam airlines, including Delta. Only KE1/2 (HNL-NRT) was available (but then as that was the only flight available, DL blocked KE to KE connections at NRT). Now it has come back just recently, but very rarely.

So for specific flight blocking, and other KE blocking (like Fri-Sun flights that are often all blocked out across the board all 331 days up, with only Mon-Thu available - on certain routes), it is not necessarily DL and could be KE.

The routing rules is clearly DL, but the specific flight blocking (if direct flight search shows nothing) could be - and likely is - KE. Only way to really know is check availability via other ST airlines.. 2X and 1O per flight (ever) KE is very firm on SkyTeam and all partners wide. Only SkyPass members get greater availability than that.

KE blackout dates also is all DL blocking, however, and not KE. Those flights are wide open to DL.

But specific flight blocking, and possibly also day of week (Fri-Sun) blocking, I do believe could be KE.
ORD-ICN-BKK is available in business class on both the AF and AS websites. ORD-ICN is only available on Delta.com. It will not show a connection beyond ICN to BKK if wanting the nonstop KE flight.
Old Jun 9, 19, 10:48 am

Programs: DL DM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime GE), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by sleuth View Post
ORD-ICN-BKK is available in business class on both the AF and AS websites. ORD-ICN is only available on Delta.com. It will not show a connection beyond ICN to BKK if wanting the nonstop KE flight.
Then here it is DL, yes. Just the dirty trick of not allowing pax to book logical and legal connections.

It would be possibly KE blocking it if ORD-ICN wasn't available to DL (and other ST airlines), ever, in any shape or form. That has happened on some routes, but apparently not ORD-ICN.
Old Jun 24, 19, 8:58 am
Formerly known as scootr29

I am trying to see my options from JNB to DTW in December and not one Virgin Atlantic flight is popping up. Is Virgin Atlantic still a Skymiles option? Also saw for the first time saw an option to connect through FCO on Alitalia.
Old Jun 24, 19, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SSF556 View Post
I am trying to see my options from JNB to DTW in December and not one Virgin Atlantic flight is popping up. Is Virgin Atlantic still a Skymiles option? Also saw for the first time saw an option to connect through FCO on Alitalia.
You'll need to call or use VS website. Problem is that except for West Coast - JNB dl.com forces routing via ATL-JNB.
Old Jun 25, 19, 6:34 am
Formerly known as scootr29

Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
You'll need to call or use VS website. Problem is that except for West Coast - JNB dl.com forces routing via ATL-JNB.
Thanks....what is interesting I am getting VS options on my outbound flight DTW to JNB..of course for miles plus $800+. On my return date nothing. I already have flights reserved but just checking to see if I can get a better sky miles deal.
Old Jun 25, 19, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SSF556 View Post
Thanks....what is interesting I am getting VS options on my outbound flight DTW to JNB..of course for miles plus $800+. On my return date nothing. I already have flights reserved but just checking to see if I can get a better sky miles deal.
odd for it to show non DL options at all. Via AMS or CDG is generally the best deal you'll find, if can get AF/KL whole way. It should he around 100-115k.
Old Jul 4, 19, 6:12 pm

Hi all, I'm planning to visit West Papua in August 2020 with my wife from FLL, and would like to get somewhat close in Business using miles. Both currently PLAT, but not next year. Closest spots are SIN, CGK, DPS. We can find things to do from any of these stopovers. I've been "practicing" on itins 331 days out. I;d just like to confirm what I've found, and check if there is something I'm overlooking.:

1. cheapest TPACs to SE Asia one ways are 85K
2 For 2 people, only possible on MU which is higher $ fees ($120 outbound, $230 back) than any other airline
3 No advantage in booking a RT, they are harder to find and website charges more in fees than the sum of the one ways.
4 Impossible to get these prices (85K) except from west coast and occasionally outbound from JFK.
5.Much harder to find return at 85K.

So given the above, it seems I should plan on booking one-ways,on MU way ahead of time and just try to optimize layover times in PVG, and use a little more Delta miles to get to and from US gateways. I'd appreciate any feedback on whether I'm overlooking something.(I am not someone who can walk the agent through how to do something complicated),

Thanks for any advice
Bob
Old Jul 5, 19, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Dont forget Garuda Indonesia is a Skyteam partner. Not sure what airport but they do fly from CGK last time I knew.
Old Jul 5, 19, 10:21 am

Programs: DL
I just booked SFO-TPE online and then asked Twitter to add a connection onto SIN, which they did with no hassle (in the middle of the night as well). Seems like itís still pretty easy.
Old Jul 5, 19, 12:00 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by dlflyer00 View Post
I just booked SFO-TPE online and then asked Twitter to add a connection onto SIN, which they did with no hassle (in the middle of the night as well). Seems like itís still pretty easy.
This is good to hear. Everytime when I've reached out with a request that involves some sort of reticketing, they always tell me to call Reservations.
Old Jul 5, 19, 12:12 pm

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by bj27 View Post
This is good to hear. Everytime when I've reached out with a request that involves some sort of reticketing, they always tell me to call Reservations.
Iíve been able to make fairly complicated changes before via Twitter, but itís hit or miss as you canít really talk to international reissue yourself if needed.

On another note: I got quoted an extra 60k to change SFO-TPE-SIN to SFO-TPE-SYD. Is that right or should I push more? And what is the farthest I can fly on an 85k one-way? Looking to maximize this trip.
Old Jul 5, 19, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by dlflyer00 View Post

Iíve been able to make fairly complicated changes before via Twitter, but itís hit or miss as you canít really talk to international reissue yourself if needed.

On another note: I got quoted an extra 60k to change SFO-TPE-SIN to SFO-TPE-SYD. Is that right or should I push more? And what is the farthest I can fly on an 85k one-way? Looking to maximize this trip.
Pricing for SYD is correct. DL stopped allowing Australia/NZ via Asia as one award year and half or two ago. Everyone was booking US-PVG/TPE/CAN/etc..-OZ/NZ as theres rarely availability on DL/VA metal to SYD.
Old Jul 5, 19, 5:16 pm

Programs: DL DM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime GE), National Emerald Executive
Pricing for SYD is correct. DL stopped allowing Australia/NZ via Asia as one award year and half or two ago. Everyone was booking US-PVG/TPE/CAN/etc..-OZ/NZ as theres rarely availability on DL/VA metal to SYD.
SIN, KUL, CGK, DPS is the closest one can go to if wanting to go to Australia on a through-fare via Asia. Then from there can just buy a relatively cheap LCC ticket for the final leg, and enjoy the stopover on the way.
Old Jul 7, 19, 3:34 pm

Dont forget Garuda Indonesia is a Skyteam partner. Not sure what airport but they do fly from CGK last time I knew.
Only Garuda flights I see involve Delta TPAC at 145K and up.
Old Jul 7, 19, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by bobf View Post
Only Garuda flights I see involve Delta TPAC at 145K and up.
Avoid any DL flights. That will practically always result in massive overcharges. Fly MU, CI, KE or some other option over the ocean, if you are connecting to GA, and just avoid DL.

DL will always try to sell you overpriced flights, as is the case the moment a DL flight is in the equation (usually). You cannot search Origin to Destination and expect to find the best and most logical routing or the best price; DL does not want you to see or find it. You need to search segment by segment, avoid DL flights, and then piece it together, to get it to price at the normal level.
flyerCO and italdesign like this.

Search this Thread