Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using SkyMiles on SkyTeam & Other Partners Master Thread

Using SkyMiles on SkyTeam & Other Partners Master Thread

Old Oct 28, 14, 10:29 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: DL Diamond; SPG Platinum; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by QDDawg View Post
I read the OP and some of the links, but couldn't find a definitve answer.

Trying to book a first class trip JFK - PPT in April for 2. I was able to book coach, but the award calendar does not work for on any dates I plug in for first. Everytime I click on it I get a message the calendar is unavailable.

This flight connects to AF for the LAX - PPT leg. which i know is the problem.

I called the DM desk and the rep said they show lots of availability - as do the seat maps, but she said AF has not released any of their inventory.

I tried to call AF, but that's just Delta again.

Any other suggestions - no EF so not sure what else to do, besides keep calling back to see if AF releases inventory.

Is there a mark where AF typically releases inventory to DL? I would think the further in advance the better for them.

Thank you for any info.
Thanks
Keep in mind that DL also partners with Air Tahiti Nui for award redemptions, and they also fly LAX-PPT. Most agents probably won't think of it / know about it, and apparently they are not very generous with award space either, but did you ask the agent to check their flights?
Old Oct 31, 14, 9:21 am

Some recent (bad) news on redeeming DL miles with partners:

1. DL.com no longer shows Alaska Air and Virgin Australia award space. This space can still be booked over the phone.
2. DL.com no longer prices international trips with stopovers correctly. Domestic with stopovers is still ok. They claim you can still get a free stopover if you call and have the agent (be aware of the memo they have sent out and) manually price the award. Bloggers speculate this IT change means that DL will no longer allow stopovers on one-way awards starting in 2015.

Any discussion about these please do so in the discussion thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...on-thread.html
Old Oct 31, 14, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Plat, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by michael_v View Post
Some recent (bad) news on redeeming DL miles with partners:

1. DL.com no longer shows Alaska Air and Virgin Australia award space. This space can still be booked over the phone.
2. DL.com no longer prices international trips with stopovers correctly. Domestic with stopovers is still ok. They claim you can still get a free stopover if you call and have the agent (be aware of the memo they have sent out and) manually price the award. Bloggers speculate this IT change means that DL will no longer allow stopovers on one-way awards starting in 2015.

Any discussion about these please do so in the discussion thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...on-thread.html
I was going to post about this, I haven't seen AS anymore on DL.com recently.

Had to call DL. Tons of availability but can't see it anymore. DL agents also had to search another system. I'll probably update the first post shortly.
Old Nov 1, 14, 9:19 am

Programs: DL Gold, AA Plat
May want to update the sticky. You can no longer access Delta MPM info (or any info) via EF.
Old Nov 5, 14, 1:31 pm

I am happy to report Alaska and Virgin Australia award availability is back at delta.com. Must have been a temporary outage due to the IT updating they've done recently to remove intl stopovers.
Old Nov 5, 14, 2:07 pm

Programs: New to United
With all the tinkering that Delta appears to be doing with partner awards and the soon to be launching of the new award calendar with unknown partner amounts, I fear mnredfox may be picking up the pieces of this very helpful thread and rewriting it..
Old Nov 5, 14, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, US
Can someone comment on this award itinerary.

Aug 11: IAD - CDG AF Biz
Aug 12: CDG - BCN AF Biz (stop over)

Aug 14th: BCN - FCO AZ Biz
Aug 14th: FCO - ATH AZ Biz (destination)

Sept 19th: ATH - FCO AZ Biz
Sept 19th: FCO - JFK AZ Biz
Sept 19th: JFK - DCA (DL 40K midtier eco award)

When I do it online, it comes out at 340,000 per person. Over the phone, agent priced it as 212,500 per person. I was expecting the award to be in 140K - 150K b/c of the last leg.

I have called in few times and the agents are not listening.
Every time I am given the go around that it's a three leg itinerary or too many connections or the stop over is illegal (which I know is not).

Any comments/thoughts?
Old Nov 5, 14, 8:09 pm

Programs: DL, AA, UA, Hilton, IHG, Radisson
Yea, assuming the routing is legit (more experienced people can speak to that), you'd price out at the round business price (125k).

I don't think the last segment doesn't make sense to book now. Here's why:

You'd be paying an additive 40k (rather than just an extra 15k for the difference between a 25k domestic saver and 40k domestic medium). IE you'd be spending the price of a round trip domestic medium, to buy a single domestic leg. The total would then be 165k instead of 125k.

Depending on when you get to JFK, either book the JFK-BWI 7:30p-9:02p in econ (followed by a MARC train or B30 bus), or position using Avios (either if/when avail opens, or book an LGA/DCA for 9/20 morning), or take Amtrak/bus, or wait until 2015 and book a one-way medium (tier 3?) for 20k.

As for why the itinerary is pricing out at over the expected 165k, that might have to do with the fact that the current code on Delta.com (and on the phone agents' system) doesn't do free stop-overs anymore. That should add 25k since it's a within-Europe business saver. Why is it adding 47.5k? Not sure!
Old Nov 5, 14, 8:10 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by iqbalt80 View Post
Can someone comment on this award itinerary.

Aug 11: IAD - CDG AF Biz
Aug 12: CDG - BCN AF Biz (stop over)

Aug 14th: BCN - FCO AZ Biz
Aug 14th: FCO - ATH AZ Biz (destination)

Sept 19th: ATH - FCO AZ Biz
Sept 19th: FCO - JFK AZ Biz
Sept 19th: JFK - DCA (DL 40K midtier eco award)

When I do it online, it comes out at 340,000 per person. Over the phone, agent priced it as 212,500 per person. I was expecting the award to be in 140K - 150K b/c of the last leg.

I have called in few times and the agents are not listening.
Every time I am given the go around that it's a three leg itinerary or too many connections or the stop over is illegal (which I know is not).

Any comments/thoughts?
One option might be to try booking multi-city IAD-BCN and ATH-JFK (see next point) online, which I believe Delta.com should still be able to price correctly (single open jaw definitely would, though the double open jaw might give it heartburn, not sure), and then call in right away and say "I have this booking to which I want to add in a stopover but the website wasn't pricing it correctly". In my experience agents will make changes to award tickets within 24 hours with no fee, and if those couple of connections are already in place, agents may be less likely to see the trip as "this is a suspiciously high number of segments" and instead as "here's two one-way journeys."

Also, given that you should be able to buy a JFK-DCA one-way ticket pretty cheaply, I would strongly recommend considering booking the award terminating in JFK, at which point you will know for sure that the whole thing should cost only 125K miles. With the mixing of the other award type and tier, the pricing gets messy. But, I'm not sure if you might end up having to include the DCA leg to avoid an open jaw. You could also see if there is LGA-DCA availability, which I suspect should be easier to come by, probably even in premium class, which could also help avoid your mixed award type complication. I don't know if this still holds, but I have definitely seen the award ticket engine properly price JFK<>LGA connections in the past.
Old Nov 20, 14, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Plat, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Updated to include elimination of SO and OJ awards. to DL for this change.
Old Nov 25, 14, 1:34 am

Programs: AAdvantage 2MM+ Lifetime PLT; BA, CO, UA, US; SPG; HHonors Gold
There have been many reports of erratic KE availability but I actually see a fair amount of KE availability on delta.com, EXCEPT for the dates that I am looking at.

Though something weird is going on. KE shows no availability for SFO-ICN (in J) but shows the same flights being available for SFO-ICN-HND. But delta.com shows neither available.

Another question: is the following a valid routing?

SFO-KE-ICN-KE-HND stop for 6 days KIX-KE-ICN-stop for 3 days-SFO?
Old Nov 25, 14, 5:00 am

Programs: DL DM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime GE), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by rj123456 View Post
There have been many reports of erratic KE availability but I actually see a fair amount of KE availability on delta.com, EXCEPT for the dates that I am looking at.

Though something weird is going on. KE shows no availability for SFO-ICN (in J) but shows the same flights being available for SFO-ICN-HND. But delta.com shows neither available.

It used to be, but is it still valid is anyone's guess.

And yes, DL is now blocking a good deal of KE flights, and esp. any connecting flights (AAA-ICN-BBB) seem to be completely blocked, IF DL flies direct on AAA-BBB (or possibly even connecting). DL would rather have you pay triple to quadruple mileage for their own flights than be able to book KE. That is the other massive devaluation with this reservation systems downgrade (dumb down). As for can phone agents book these blocked (from online display, direct or via multi city) KE flights is an open question.
Old Nov 25, 14, 7:49 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by rj123456 View Post

If you can find award space on those flights, that is a valid routing if booked by Dec 31 (can be for travel after Dec 31) -- a trip to HND, open jaw to KIX, stopover in ICN on the way home. You'll need to get an agent to book it and it may take a few hang-ups and call-agains to find an agent who knows how to correctly do this. Be very clear with the agents that you are looking book a stopover as part of your trip and that you have heard those need to be manually priced.

Based on my recent experience to Europe it may be easier if you book a multi-city trip online first SFO-ICN-HND and ICN-SFO (if you are able to get the website to do this), and then call to try to add the KIX-ICN segment. I am able to get this multi-city to pull up correctly on DL.com at 140K miles for business class on April 14 outbound, April 28 return, for example.

Note that if you are searching for award seats on Korean's own website, Delta will not necessarily offer the same number of seats as Korean does (in addition to tech glitches which may make some of the space that does exist hard to see). So I would suggest sticking to the Delta website. Do one-way searches for SFO-HND and ICN-SFO to find dates with availability, look for 140K pricing, and then combine the dates you have found into a multi-city trip.

Last edited by bgriff; Nov 25, 14 at 8:03 am
Old Nov 25, 14, 8:02 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by RealHJ View Post
It used to be, but is it still valid is anyone's guess.

And yes, DL is now blocking a good deal of KE flights, and esp. any connecting flights (AAA-ICN-BBB) seem to be completely blocked, IF DL flies direct on AAA-BBB (or possibly even connecting). DL would rather have you pay triple to quadruple mileage for their own flights than be able to book KE. That is the other massive devaluation with this reservation systems downgrade (dumb down). As for can phone agents book these blocked (from online display, direct or via multi city) KE flights is an open question.
I am seeing plenty of dates where DL.com pulls up low-level KE inventory in addition to higher-level DL flights on routes like ATL-NRT, LAX-NRT, and JFK-BKK. However you are correct (per the other thread) that it does not seem to like to show Japan-HNL connections via ICN, which may be intentional, or an oversight in the routing engine -- but there is no evidence that KE flights are being blocked more generally.
Old Nov 25, 14, 8:49 pm

Programs: AAdvantage 2MM+ Lifetime PLT; BA, CO, UA, US; SPG; HHonors Gold
Delta.com and Alitalia, same availability?

Originally Posted by colerc View Post
If you can find award space on those flights, that is a valid routing if booked by Dec 31 (can be for travel after Dec 31) -- a trip to HND, open jaw to KIX, stopover in ICN on the way home.
What happens after Dec 31 (I know they start allowing 1 ways, but are they eliminating stopovers or open jaws?

Based on my recent experience to Europe it may be easier if you book a multi-city trip online first SFO-ICN-HND and ICN-SFO (if you are able to get the website to do this), and then call to try to add the KIX-ICN segment. I am able to get this multi-city to pull up correctly on DL.com at 140K miles for business class on April 14 outbound, April 28 return, for example.
Thanks!

Note that if you are searching for award seats on Korean's own website, Delta will not necessarily offer the same number of seats as Korean does (in addition to tech glitches which may make some of the space that does exist hard to see). So I would suggest sticking to the Delta website. Do one-way searches for SFO-HND and ICN-SFO to find dates with availability, look for 140K pricing, and then combine the dates you have found into a multi-city trip.
Well, actually I was using delta.com as a proxy for what I expect Alitalia agents to see what is available. I am hoping to use the 90K Alitalia US-North Asia award. Or am I being too optimistic? The reports on the AL board make it sound rather arduous.

Search this Thread