Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using SkyMiles on SkyTeam & Other Partners Master Thread

Using SkyMiles on SkyTeam & Other Partners Master Thread

Old Mar 14, 19, 8:18 am

Programs: BA
Is GOL considered a non-SkyTeam partner?

Last edited by wiivile; Mar 21, 19 at 10:27 am
Old Mar 23, 19, 7:57 am

Is 75k pretty much the minimum one way to Europe in D1? I am searching from MSP. It only seems to be at that price to AMS (and rarely at that). Is that because they have so many daily flights to that airport?

Also any advice on searching for connecting flights, like MSP-BCN through AMS?
Old Mar 25, 19, 2:56 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
As for cost it varies. If there's any connecting DL flights it can be a huge amount. If it's strictly partner metal it should be somewhere around 100k miles. Always call for partner flights. While KE does really limit award inventory, DL IT doesn't do well searching for routes on partners with connections at partner hubs. Ie China Airlines through TPE almost never shows up even though there's award inventory.

Partner metal US-SE Asia in J is 85k one way. If you have a segment on DL metal to get to JFK/SFO/LAX/YVR itís still 85k provided the DL segment is booked in OZ. Other variations of O on the DL segment will cause the cost to rise.

It may be easiest to book the US-TPE portion on Delta.com since ending at TPE will generate China Airlines availability. Then call within 24 hours if youíre not exempt from the change fee and have the manual reissue desk add on the TPE-XXX segment. This method worked for me after several hours pounding my head against the wall trying to find an agent who knew what they were doing.
Old Mar 25, 19, 5:28 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by MarkP24 View Post
Virgin Atlantic Upper Class can have decent availability and is 75k miles
Does anyone know the logic in which VS releases space to Delta? Also, I just looked SFO-LON and it says my only options start at 105k and have connections. Only when I filter for nonstop does it even come up and it's 86,500. It's weirdly hidden.
strickerj likes this.
Old Mar 25, 19, 7:37 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold; Ex UA 1K & AA EXP
Originally Posted by pmfc View Post
Does anyone know the logic in which VS releases space to Delta? Also, I just looked SFO-LON and it says my only options start at 105k and have connections. Only when I filter for nonstop does it even come up and it's 86,500. It's weirdly hidden.
I don't know the logic, but the miles needed has gone up
Old Mar 25, 19, 7:57 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by MarkP24 View Post
I don't know the logic, but the miles needed has gone up
Yep. Good to note for others that you have to filter for nonstop for it to even show up when searching for it on delta.com, at least for the SFO route. Otherwise you will only get more expensive options on DL metal w/ connections Also, it still only charges $5.60 taxes & fees when going from US->EU. I believe it's around $600 on the way back. Just booked for my flight there in August! Will probably just fly Norwegian for the daytime flight on the way back rather than pay that exorbitant surcharge.
Old Mar 26, 19, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pmfc View Post
Yep. Good to note for others that you have to filter for nonstop for it to even show up when searching for it on delta.com, at least for the SFO route. Otherwise you will only get more expensive options on DL metal w/ connections Also, it still only charges $5.60 taxes & fees when going from US->EU. I believe it's around $600 on the way back. Just booked for my flight there in August! Will probably just fly Norwegian for the daytime flight on the way back rather than pay that exorbitant surcharge.
Taxes and fee wise that's correct. Any ticket departing ex-LHR in J/PE gets charged the "luxury" tax. Also any OW ticket departing ex-Europe gets charged flight surcharges (YQ). Thus always cheaper to book RT and to fly in to LHR within 24hrs of departure, as then the luxury tax doesn't apply.
Old Apr 2, 19, 10:20 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, AA LT Plat (HT BD), Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Delta, BA
Hello. Newbie at using Delta miles. Planning the following, 1 person: Aug 4 JFK-LHR business class, Aug 8 LHR-FCO economy, Aug 19 FCO-LHR economy, Aug 20 (22-23 hours after LHR arrival, to avoid exorbitant APD) LHR-JFK business.

At Deltaís website I found 2 available roundtrips: Aug 4/Aug 20 JFK-LHR-JFK Virgin Upper Class 172,000 miles and Aug 8/Aug 19 LHR-FCO-LHR Alitalia Economy 30,000 miles but booking that way would include the high APD. Tried to do it as one multi-city itinerary but the website would not allow it, apparently the website will not allow booking an award itinerary with segments in different classes . Called Delta, spoke with a lovely and apparently knowledgeable agent who found the exact same round-trips and who also could not combine them or figure out a way to book it.

Is there a way to book this sort of thing?

Thank you.

(I realize this is a lot of miles but itís worth it to me.)
Old Apr 6, 19, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
It doesn't need to be booked on one ticket to not pay APD. Just show your BP from flying into LHR at checkin with DL and they will issue the refund. If you forget you can submit a copy online of the BP to request the refund.
Old Apr 9, 19, 8:39 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Gold; Skymiles Platinum
Originally Posted by wiivile View Post
Is GOL considered a non-SkyTeam partner?
GOL is not a SkyTeam member airline, so yes, they're a non-SkyTeam partner.
Old Apr 10, 19, 9:13 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by sjackson12 View Post
Is 75k pretty much the minimum one way to Europe in D1? I am searching from MSP. It only seems to be at that price to AMS (and rarely at that). Is that because they have so many daily flights to that airport?

Also any advice on searching for connecting flights, like MSP-BCN through AMS?
I believe 75k is the current minimum. I was able to get partner business class tickets this fall on AF metal at that rate and my search was wide open on dates and airports. Didn't see anything lower than that.
Old Apr 12, 19, 8:34 am

Programs: UA, AA, Hyatt
Can't tell if I'm missing something. I'd like a 1-way ticket LHR to DTW for early July, economy is fine, somewhat flexible about dates. Since it's one way, cash fares are crazy, Delta/Virgin is the only nonstop route. Delta would be happy to sell me an award ticket for several nonstop flights for 36k miles plus taxes and fees. But I don't have any SkyMiles. I check with Virgin, and Flying Blue (both Air France and KLM), since I have loads of Chase UR points I could transfer, but they aren't showing any nonstop award flights. Any advice?
Old Apr 12, 19, 9:26 am

Programs: AAdvantage 2MM+ Lifetime PLT; BA, CO, UA, US; SPG; HHonors Gold
It doesn't need to be booked on one ticket to not pay APD. Just show your BP from flying into LHR at checkin with DL and they will issue the refund. If you forget you can submit a copy online of the BP to request the refund.
Get a Delta Amex Card
Old Apr 12, 19, 4:54 pm

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, TR 7*, SPG/MR Plat, UA 1K
Originally Posted by rj123456 View Post
Get a Delta Amex Card
How would this help in the described situation?
Old Apr 12, 19, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, AA LT Plat (HT BD), Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Delta, BA
Thank you for your reply flyerCO, excellent information of which I was (obviously) previously unaware.

Regarding avoiding the high APD having used Delta miles and paying taxes and fees to Delta, for an itinerary including a 23 hour LHR connection between an Alitalia flight and a Virgin flight:
Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski View Post
Ö using Delta miles.
Ö
2 available roundtrips: Aug 4/Aug 20 JFK-LHR-JFK Virgin Upper Class and Aug 8/Aug 19 LHR-FCO-LHR Alitalia Economy
Ö
Are you suggesting going to the Delta counter at LHR between my arrival on Alitalia and my departure 22 hours later on Virgin? My check-in at LHR for the return flight to JFK will be with Virgin, are they able to process the refund? Once ticketed, prior to all flights, could I submit it to Delta and get the refund? Thank you very much once again.

Search this Thread