Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using SkyMiles on SkyTeam & Other Partners Master Thread

Old Sep 2, 14, 8:24 am

Programs: Budding BA Bronze, MPC Gold
Hi guys, would anyone be able to help with a quick question, sorry couldn't work it out from the OP.

Looking at my first Delta flight HNL-MEX, it comes up with Economy(Q), is this something upgradable with miles? If so how many?

Thank you.
Old Sep 5, 14, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA, DL, WN, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott, Hyatt
From the Wiki

DL of course will levy a $25 booking fee (waiver GM or higher) for booking over the phone, which is a joke since most partners cannot be booked online. A simple trick to this is to have an agent put the PNR together, place it on hold, and go online yourself to redeem it.

I have an award on hold with AR using SkyMiles. The rep gave me the PNR. I am unable to pull up the reservation on Delta.com - trying to avoid the $25 ticketing fee....is there a trick to this?

Thanks.
Old Sep 27, 14, 4:09 am

Old Oct 1, 14, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Gold, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by KVS View Post
TP = Top Post:
Thanks, should be fixed now.

Originally Posted by Deltahater View Post
Originally Posted by erik19283 View Post
Not sure what these mean? Deleted posts?
Old Oct 1, 14, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by mnredfox View Post
Thanks, should be fixed now.

Not sure what these mean? Deleted posts?
In my case, that's what it meant. I didn't know any other way to delete my post, so I did the best I could.
Old Oct 6, 14, 9:53 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 75K, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat
This might be a dumb question, but since one-way awards are coming in 2015, does that mean that I can book them right now for travel in 2015 or does it mean that redemption options start on Jan 1, 2015?
Old Oct 7, 14, 7:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Gold, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by u2g0d View Post
This might be a dumb question, but since one-way awards are coming in 2015, does that mean that I can book them right now for travel in 2015 or does it mean that redemption options start on Jan 1, 2015?
I don't think they are bookable at this time.
Old Oct 11, 14, 9:18 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Hyatt Glob, SPG LTP

Deleted.

Last edited by seawolf; Oct 11, 14 at 9:31 pm
Old Oct 14, 14, 12:30 am

Programs: DL DM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime GE), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by mnredfox View Post
I don't think they are bookable at this time.
To be precise, one-way awards are and always have been bookable. Just the passenger will pay for round trip.

Now, if the question is of availability, it's conceivable that one can book a one-way award now and pay RT mileage. Then after Jan 1 call and have it reticketed at the one-way mileage and get the net difference credited back. Not sure if DL will be willing to do that - may need to do HUACA for that, but it is conceivable and possible, unless there is a hard lock to lock in the pre-Jan1/2015 tickets in one rules and/or reservations system and the Jan1/2015 and after tickets in another.
Old Oct 14, 14, 11:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RealHJ View Post
To be precise, one-way awards are and always have been bookable. Just the passenger will pay for round trip.
Yes that is what I meant, thanks for the clarification.
Old Oct 21, 14, 1:06 pm

Programs: Delta-DM, United, Hilton-DM, SPG-PLTM
I read the OP and some of the links, but couldn't find a definitve answer.

Trying to book a first class trip JFK - PPT in April for 2. I was able to book coach, but the award calendar does not work for on any dates I plug in for first. Everytime I click on it I get a message the calendar is unavailable.

This flight connects to AF for the LAX - PPT leg. which i know is the problem.

I called the DM desk and the rep said they show lots of availability - as do the seat maps, but she said AF has not released any of their inventory.

I tried to call AF, but that's just Delta again.

Any other suggestions - no EF so not sure what else to do, besides keep calling back to see if AF releases inventory.

Is there a mark where AF typically releases inventory to DL? I would think the further in advance the better for them.

Thank you for any info.
Thanks
Old Oct 21, 14, 2:33 pm

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by QDDawg View Post

Trying to book a first class trip JFK - PPT in April for 2. I was able to book coach, but the award calendar does not work for on any dates I plug in for first. Everytime I click on it I get a message the calendar is unavailable.

I called the DM desk and the rep said they show lots of availability - as do the seat maps, but she said AF has not released any of their inventory.

Any other suggestions - no EF so not sure what else to do, besides keep calling back to see if AF releases inventory.

Is there a mark where AF typically releases inventory to DL? I would think the further in advance the better for them.

Thank you for any info.
Thanks
The couple times I tried to book premium cabin award travel on AF, I failed miserably as well. Others may have better luck, but IME, AF is pretty stingy about releasing J award inventory that is bookable through DL.

If you have Amex MR you can transfer to FB points and there is usually a fair amount of availability there, but then that requires having and being willing to spend that many MR points.
Old Oct 21, 14, 11:45 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for any info.
Thanks
Originally Posted by gooselee View Post
The couple times I tried to book premium cabin award travel on AF, I failed miserably as well. Others may have better luck, but IME, AF is pretty stingy about releasing J award inventory that is bookable through DL.

If you have Amex MR you can transfer to FB points and there is usually a fair amount of availability there, but then that requires having and being willing to spend that many MR points.
First off, please try to keep all discussions to the discussion thread here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...on-thread.html

That being said, remember there is no F awards for any DL SM redemptions, the best you can do is in J.

You are doing the right thing, piece together lows. Appears the DL JFK-LAX segment is open in J, so good for you as that is historically difficult.

So for finding LAX-PPT on AF, KVS/EF are probably your best friends. Otherwise try af.us. In the end it's all about when and if AF releases seats for DL. Since about 3 years ago it has been hit or miss.
Old Oct 23, 14, 7:54 am

hi guys,
i'm trying to book a trip using skymiles with aeromexico:
TIJ-MEX
MEX-MAD
BCN-AMS
CDG-MEX
MEX-TIJ
and until last week i was able to see's all aeromexico availability in delta.com, but it looks like it just gone. i checked on aeromexico and airfrance's websites and there is plenty availability. any toughs on what happened?
it doesn't mater what date i look, there is just no availability.
Thanks!
Old Oct 24, 14, 3:07 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.6 MM; Marriott/SPG LTPlat; HH Gold
Just thought I would share my experience (so far).

I set up an alert on EF several weeks ago looking for one award tix (either ug from PE or O) for the LAX-PPT for weeks in February or May 2015. So far no hits, so I'm not sure how successful this will be. With the sale fares going on from West Coast to Spain, I'm thinking of switching my plans...

Good luck and please post back if you have any luck with this! I just want to know if it is possible. Thanks.

Search this Thread