Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Old Dec 4, 2010, 5:51 am
Original Poster

I have a Platinum Delta Skymiles with AMEX card that "gives" a companion certificate annually as a benefit. This year I wanted to use that companion certificate to take my family out to Colorado to go skiing in February. I checked Delta on-line to purchase 4 tickets using FF skymiles and then tried to book 2 more tickets using the companion certificate. When I attempted to book the ticket I was told that the flight was not available in the Fare class requested. However, when I tried to book the ticket and "pay with miles" using the AMEX card and FF miles the flight was available. I checked the terms and conditions of the certificate and it states that all travel must be in the U or L class of service - which this ticket was doing. Well, an unwritten stipulation is that all legs of the trip must be in the U or L class of service even though the terms and conditions of the certificate do not state this. Moral of the story is this - don't buy the AMEX Delta skymiles card if you think you'll be able to use the companion certificate as a benefit. To make matters worse - I called Delta to file a complaint and they told me it was due to AMEX terms. So, I called and emailed AMEX - they in turn told me the certificate was the property of Delta. So much for companies being accountable for the products they sell. Once I use all my FF miles with Delta I will move my business to AmericanAirlines and never fly Delta again. I will also tear up my AMEX! Shame on you AMEX and Delta!!!
Old Dec 4, 2010, 2:08 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Welcome to Flyertalk.

How is:
...terms and conditions of the certificate ... states that all travel must be in the U or L class of service
...different from...

...all legs of the trip must be in the U or L class of service
My interpretation of "all travel" would be identical to "all legs of the trip", but I am interested to read your explanation of the distinction.

Last edited by mia; Dec 4, 2010 at 2:21 pm
Old Dec 4, 2010, 8:55 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, BMI Silver
I am assuming the OP was only trying to warn forum members who may fall victim to a false benefit. Not an english lesson.

Although I may not be an Amex Delta cardholder. I am sure there is someone out there who has experienced this same issue. I would recommend filing a complaint via the BBB in reference to Delta not complying with their own policies. I have received compensation in the past for failure to comply issues I have had with other airlines. I don't see why Delta would be any different.
gotmilk8, Zeeb and WasKnown like this.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 9:18 pm

I have used this certificate as a gold amex member for $99 three times with no problems. Got a cheap fare each time, so at $99 only saved about $150
Old Dec 5, 2010, 4:22 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Originally Posted by angel.x.martinez
...victim to a false benefit....
There is no evidence of such in the post. There is evidence that the OP did not read, or did not understand, the terms of the offer.
itsabravenewworld likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 4:28 am

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
I reread your post 3 times and have decided that it is a level.

nice work!
Old Dec 5, 2010, 5:04 am
mia

Moderator action

Moved to Delta section where there is greater experience with these certificates and better understanding of the terms.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 6:08 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles (Silver), PriorityClub (Platinum), BA, AA, CO, Hilton Honor, SPG
Originally Posted by disnefile
I have used this certificate as a gold amex member for $99 three times with no problems. Got a cheap fare each time, so at $99 only saved about $150
It sounds like Delta Gold $99 certificate is different than Delta Platinum Companion certificate... Delta Gold $99 offer to the lowest class T/L/U... T is work for $99 Domestic Companion Coach. I had a problem using the certiciation too.. I am living in NYC.. I can use LGA/JFK/EWR. I have to use the SAME airport in order to use the certificate. It was annoying.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 7:18 am

Programs: DL PM, Hertz PC, SPG Gold
I've got a Platinum AMEX and have never had trouble using the companion certificate. As the terms states, "all travel" must be in the correct fare class, so it can be difficult to use the certificate going to certain locations certain times of the year (such as to ski resorts during February). On these flights, Delta may never have L/U/T fares for sale. You might want to keep looking -- sometimes if the flights don't sell out they open up the lower-end fares. (The same thing happens during the holidays.)

Sorry you had a problem.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 7:38 am

Programs: Delta
I have to disagree. I used my Delta Platinum Amex companion ticket to book tickets for my daughter and son-in-law to fly home over Christmas. I paid $485 + taxes for one ticket, and $33.00 in taxes for the 2nd ticket - essentially getting a $485 ticket free. They are booked in T and U fares. I also used it last year for similar savings (wish my daughter lived closer-or in a cheaper-to-get-to city!)
Old Dec 5, 2010, 7:44 am
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by angel.x.martinez
I am assuming the OP was only trying to warn forum members who may fall victim to a false benefit. Not an english lesson. .
What is the false benefit? getting a free ticket? We do not question the difference between Y & LUT fares on DL or other airlines. You get what you pay for, in this case, a free award if available. Win some, lose some. However, I agree with DaveNC, I am sorry you had a problem with it.

Originally Posted by disnefile
The savings in this trip and in free bags and discounted Lounge more than pay for the card.

Originally Posted by mia
There is no evidence of such in the post. There is evidence that the OP did not read, or did not understand, the terms of the offer.
+1
Old Dec 5, 2010, 7:50 am

Programs: Delta - GM
I have had the AMEX for many years and have never had trouble using the companion tickets. So I don't thinks it is a "false benefit."
Old Dec 5, 2010, 7:58 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by JKPFlyer
I have had the AMEX for many years and have never had trouble using the companion tickets. So I don't thinks it is a "false benefit."
^ Even more so now because the cert shows up in your online delta account and you can redeem it via the delta website. No more having to call Delta to redeem it.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 7:59 am

Programs: DL DM
Did you open this new FT account just to slam AMEX? Are you a regular FT member with another screen name? If so, doesnt seem right to hide behind a one-time-use name to slam a productand to do so (at least IMO) unfairly.

The terms and conditions for these certificates are pretty straightforward. Using them may take some effort, but many posters here on FT have used them quite successfully.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 8:03 am

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
that's why i think it's a level

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.