Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using SkyMiles on SkyTeam & Other Partners Master Thread

Using SkyMiles on SkyTeam & Other Partners Master Thread

Old Jan 10, 14, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Gold, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by llamagatekeeper View Post
First hit on searching...Please attempt to at least search FT or even google.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...-airlines.html
Or go to the guide in post 2 under the section that says "Black Out Dates"
Old Jan 10, 14, 2:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Gold, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, NA EE, Hertz PC
Deleted

Last edited by mnredfox; Jan 10, 14 at 7:53 am
Old Jan 10, 14, 2:15 am
Original Poster

Deleted

Last edited by mnredfox; Jan 10, 14 at 7:53 am
Old Jan 10, 14, 2:16 am
Original Poster

Deleted

Last edited by mnredfox; Jan 10, 14 at 7:54 am
Old Jan 10, 14, 4:37 am

Originally Posted by mnredfox View Post
Or go to the guide in post 2 under the section that says "Black Out Dates"
Forgot this was even the guide thread.

I just saw new post and responded without even thinking.
Old Jan 11, 14, 9:41 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles DM/2MM, AA EXP, IC RA, Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Originally Posted by llamagatekeeper View Post
First hit on searching...Please attempt to at least search FT or even google.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...-airlines.html
Thanks for the link. I did search. Searching this forum for blackout dates returned this thread and about twenty others but not the one in your link. Don't know why.
Old Jan 11, 14, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by MegatopLover View Post
Thanks for the link. I did search. Searching this forum for blackout dates returned this thread and about twenty others but not the one in your link. Don't know why.
No worries. Happens to the best of us. That's why I mentioned google. It often has better results for longer search queries.
Old Jan 13, 14, 1:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MegatopLover View Post
FYI, I use google search as I don't find the FT search engine that good.

Start your google search with "site:flyertalk.com delta"
Old Jan 18, 14, 3:57 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, Global Entry, PL_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by dustbuster View Post
Thanks for this thread. Could you add info about Virgin Atlantic? Their flights are coming up in Delta's search tool now, but there does seem to be a married segment issue - for example, searching for SFO to DXB shows availability on Virgin Atlantic via LHR, but searching for SFO to LHR shows no availability on Virgin Atlantic (and higher redemption levels).
I will use this post to ask if it is possible to use SWUs or SMs to ug to business on VS (USA-LHR-USA).

Last edited by Xeno; Jan 19, 14 at 4:20 pm
Old Jan 22, 14, 5:52 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott Gold
Garuda is set to join Skyteam on 3/5....
Does anyone know when we can redeem skymiles for GA flights? Agent had me on hold for 20 minutes while she called various people but couldn't come up with an answer.

(if there is another thread on this please direct me)
Old Jan 23, 14, 3:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Update on booking Malaysia - MH award tickets

You can still use DL miles for low award tickets on Malaysia (code MH) through April 30. They can be flown later, for any flights that are on the schedule and can be booked before the cutoff. I suspect that after April 30 the only changes to MH segments that DL will be able to do will be to cancel the ticket (based on what happened at the end of DL's bilateral partnership with SQ).

Anyway, I booked a "last chance" ticket today and this is what I learned. Availability isn't too bad for business class (didn't try for coach and IFC isn't permitted with DL miles for the few aircraft that offer IFC).

I used EF to search. EF does not show MH award space, but it does show upgrade inventory (with MH miles), which is I for upgrades into business class and A for upgrades into IFC, where the latter is irrelevant for us. I found flights with one or two I class seats available. (IIRC I saw up to four for some flights I couldn't use, but they might have been the 9XXX codeshares operated by AA that of course we cannot book as DL awards, although these were not designated as AA codeshares on EF, so watch out for the many funky looking flight numbers on MH's schedule.)

I guessed that if an I seat was available, so also would there be a U seat (low business class availability for DL miles) on the same flight, which was what I wanted. I gave an excellent Chisholm DM agent the exact flight numbers and dates.

The DL agent (I was lucky) knew instantly to look for U space and do a long sell. There was some issue with the flight that stops in NRT between LAX and KUL (MH 92 eastbound and MH 93 westbound) which apparently required that the segments be booked separately and also possibly requested as different segments for the long sell.

It became very important to start with a brand new PNR when building the trip. Do not book any DL award flights first, even to reserve low space for yourself. MH apparently won't respond positively to the long sell request if there are any other flight using other carriers already on the PNR.

Overall it was easier than I had anticipated. My "trick" of searching for upgrade I space on EF worked beautifully and when my seats were confirmed, EF immediately decreased the I class inventory by one.

Fees were about $575 for the TPAC RT. I suspect I won't earn any MQDs on this big YR/YQ.
Old Jan 24, 14, 2:23 pm

MH being in oneworld now, can be searched using BA.com or Qantas tools.
Old Jan 27, 14, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
KLM now seems to be enforcing married segment logic for SkyMiles awards. Attempting to sell the segments point to point seems to result in a sell denied if there isn't inventory for the full journey. This is also being applied where the connection is DL-KL.

Last edited by javabytes; Jan 27, 14 at 7:02 pm
Old Jan 27, 14, 8:26 pm
zh

Programs: TK *G, Marriott Titanium Elite, UA Silver
Pleasant surprise - called DL award desk (long time since I booked an award using DL Skymiles). First, I was connected right away to an agent. It took her 5 minutes for find my flights on AF/SV and 4 business tkts available over March break! Is DL Skymiles agent/process actually getting better?

ZH.
Old Jan 31, 14, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by javabytes View Post
KLM now seems to be enforcing married segment logic for SkyMiles awards. Attempting to sell the segments point to point seems to result in a sell denied if there isn't inventory for the full journey. This is also being applied where the connection is DL-KL.
AF is now enforcing married segment logic as well. Also, while DL is still managing SkyMiles award inventory on a segment-by-segment basis, more agents are now starting to state it is policy that they need to search O&D, and are not permitted to do point to point. The days of being able to swap out a single segment of an award ticket may be numbered.

Search this Thread