Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using SkyMiles on SkyTeam & Other Partners Master Thread

Old Nov 19, 13, 1:10 pm
aau

Programs: AA Plat, UA MM *G, HHonors Silver, SPG Gold, Marriott Rewards Plat, IC Ambassador
Update: I called Delta and found availability on the flights I wanted, but I was asked to pay 40,000 miles roundtrip. I thought all partner flights are at the saver level?

Originally Posted by aau View Post
I'm getting ready to book my very first award using SkyMiles. I'm looking to book a coach award from Sao Paulo to Iguazu Falls for 20,000 miles. This would be a booking for travel within a week. I am a no-status nobody on Delta. I have an ExpertFlyer basic membership and I think I've found availability on Gol and AR. The outbound routing would be GRU-AEP-IGR, first leg on Gol and second on AR. Inbound would be IGU-GRU, or IGU-GIG-GRU, on Gol. Is this a valid routing pricing out at 20,000 miles? If so, what kind of fees should I expect to pay? I know about the $25 phone booking fee. Are there YQ or close-in booking fees? TIA.
Old Nov 19, 13, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by aau View Post
Update: I called Delta and found availability on the flights I wanted, but I was asked to pay 40,000 miles roundtrip. I thought all partner flights are at the saver level?
As per http://thepointsguy.com/2013/04/usin...entinas-award/, it seems each leg is 10k, so if you have 4 legs, it would be 40k:

However, reading the fine print on the award chart: “Award mileage shown is each-way based on a required round-trip or multi-leg Award Ticket purchase.” So since my itinerary would be three legs, I’d need 30,000 miles.
Old Nov 19, 13, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Gold, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, NA EE, Hertz PC
Folks, per post #1 please keep this thread for corrections to the info in the first few threads. All other discussions should be done at the discussion thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...on-thread.html
Old Dec 5, 13, 7:02 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES

Lol i just used some of my skypesos on a DOD buy up to WBC on KL0856 (ICN-AMS). I did know and did do DOD buy ups exAMS in the past but never tried it on a KL flight departing somewhere else.
After doing a DOD buy up exAMS this tuesday and talking with the lady behind the KLM crownlounge desk she stated as long there is capable personell they should be able to upgrade you anywhere.

So tried it 30 minutes ago at the counter during checkin @ ICN with positive result

Last edited by Grouchy; Dec 5, 13 at 7:09 am
Old Dec 5, 13, 8:59 am

Malysia Airlines partnership will end on May 1 2014.

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...-airlines.html
Old Dec 5, 13, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by michael_v View Post
For April-May, I would say your best bet is to book one traveler on the DL SEA-PEK flight (which I saw has good availability in business, 1 seat), and another traveler on LAX-CAN-PEK China Southern. Use alaskaair.com to search domestic availability between your home town and SEA/LAX. Use airfrance.us to search LAX-CAN and CAN-PEK. China Southern can only be booked over the phone. Try to book some crazy domestic routing (remember, 4 segments is the limit each way on a DL award ticket) with short layovers on the China Shouthern ticket and hope for a schedule change when you can ask DL to put you on the SEA-PEK flight so that you can travel together. DL flights can be booked online using the multi-segment search, most of the time. Good luck!
Delta award tickets are limited to 4 segments each way? That would explain my difficulty routing SAN to SGN. The closest I have gotten in LAX to HAN.
Old Dec 5, 13, 11:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Gold, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by michael_v View Post
Malysia Airlines partnership will end on May 1 2014.

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...-airlines.html
Another sad day. Other than SQ, MH was one of DL's (or more correctly PMNWA's) best partners. I guess we have nothing but great ST experience to look forward to now.

As posted by LL:
http://loyaltylobby.com/2013/12/05/d...er-partnership
Old Dec 13, 13, 2:06 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Premier, Hertz Gold, National Executive
Regarding the info re KE not doing long sells, I'm not sure if this is useful information now but I booked two J tickets on KE from JFK - ICN (layover) - SIN - OJ - HKT - ICN (overnight stay) - JFK in September 2012. I remember I was constantly looking for J tix on a KE A380 out of JFK and I think it was only 3 days before I left that it turns out that an agent had put in a request for two seats which cleared for a flight to leave in 2 days. I had no idea and it was a good thing I was checking everyday and calling everyday because the agent was confused why I was looking for tickets when I was schedule to leave in two days. Needless to say my then fiance and I had a hell of a two days packing for our trip/honeymoon (our wedding was in Korea).

Anyway, at the time I didn't know what a long sell was but I'm thinking that this had to be a long sell. Any thoughts on this?
Old Dec 13, 13, 11:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Pathfinder813 View Post
Regarding the info re KE not doing long sells, I'm not sure if this is useful information now but I booked two J tickets on KE from JFK - ICN (layover) - SIN - OJ - HKT - ICN (overnight stay) - JFK in September 2012. I remember I was constantly looking for J tix on a KE A380 out of JFK and I think it was only 3 days before I left that it turns out that an agent had put in a request for two seats which cleared for a flight to leave in 2 days. I had no idea and it was a good thing I was checking everyday and calling everyday because the agent was confused why I was looking for tickets when I was schedule to leave in two days. Needless to say my then fiance and I had a hell of a two days packing for our trip/honeymoon (our wedding was in Korea).

Anyway, at the time I didn't know what a long sell was but I'm thinking that this had to be a long sell. Any thoughts on this?
Can you elaborate what you mean by put in request?
Old Dec 16, 13, 7:53 pm

Programs: DL-DM, AA-G, SPG-G, UA-S
So maybe I am doing something wrong, but I can't find any AF O class business award seats from JFK-CDG-JFK until October 2014. Its so strange. AF.com shows a lot of classic awards, and Delta matches AF.com and Expertflyer's availability in October on but not before that. Are others seeing this? I wonder what's going on.
Old Dec 17, 13, 2:43 pm

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21817750-post33.html
Old Dec 21, 13, 6:50 am

Can anyone check award seats in coach on air tahiti for me? (2 seats)
I would call but I am deployed right now

I want to go from LAX-PPT leaving on a thursday and returning on a wednesday in late june or all of july

thanks!
Old Dec 24, 13, 9:32 am

Programs: UA
Not sure if this is the correct thread, but on a Delta RTW award. Can you initially book everything in economy for the economy price and later change it to business for 100,000 miles more?
Old Jan 9, 14, 10:07 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles DM/2MM, AA EXP, IC RA, Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Does anyone have the current blackout dates for partners? Specifically looking for KE.
Old Jan 9, 14, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by MegatopLover View Post
Does anyone have the current blackout dates for partners? Specifically looking for KE.
First hit on searching...Please attempt to at least search FT or even google.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...-airlines.html

Search this Thread