Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using SkyMiles on SkyTeam & Other Partners Master Thread

Using SkyMiles on SkyTeam & Other Partners Master Thread

Old Oct 20, 13, 7:46 pm

Programs: DL Plat, 1 MM; SPG LT Plat (RIP); Marriott LT Titanium; Fairmont Plat (RIP), DL Kryptonium Medallion
Just did my first-ever (knowing) long sell.

Delta's website showed J availability on a JFK-MXP flight on AZ.
I called to change an existing ticket, flying into another European airport in business to this flight. I am well aware of the phantom KLM award availbility, but wasn't sure whether an AZ flight with apparent J availability was real or not.

The first phone agent was rather rude and unhelpful, claimed that I was seeing a list of how much flights would cost if availability existed, but availability didn't exist (?!). When I got testy with her, she hung up on me.

Second agent couldn't have been more helpful, said he couldn't see availability but would attempt a long sell. It took maybe 1-2 minutes for AZ to confirm the availability. He mentioned the term long sell explicitly and suggested that, in the future, should I see apparent availability, I should ask the phone agent to do a long sell.
Old Oct 20, 13, 11:02 pm

So what exactly IS a long sell? How is it advantageous?
Old Oct 21, 13, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by uclalum View Post
So what exactly IS a long sell? How is it advantageous?
Please read posts 1-3.
Old Nov 1, 13, 2:54 pm

Programs: SA Lifetime Gold, DL Diamond, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
I redeem most of my SM on KE via Delta agent for tickets within Asia region and have been successful 90% of the time (when there has been no conflict with KE blackout dates).

Would love to see if Delta can show award availability on all their ST partners like United or Asiana do on their websites. (Note: Asiana is only available in their Korean website so useless to those who don't read Korean)
Old Nov 1, 13, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by guyinmotion View Post
I redeem most of my SM on KE via Delta agent for tickets within Asia region and have been successful 90% of the time (when there has been no conflict with KE blackout dates).

Would love to see if Delta can show award availability on all their ST partners like United or Asiana do on their websites. (Note: Asiana is only available in their Korean website so useless to those who don't read Korean)
DL.com does show KE award availability. It seems it does not show availability for partners where a long sell is necessary and/or calculation of YQ.
Old Nov 1, 13, 7:27 pm

DL.com doesn't show KE award availability for a lot of intra-asia routes that they don't fly DL metal on.
Old Nov 1, 13, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by llamagatekeeper View Post
DL.com doesn't show KE award availability for a lot of intra-asia routes that they don't fly DL metal on.
Have you tried alaskaair.com?
Old Nov 1, 13, 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by michael_v View Post
Have you tried alaskaair.com?
Yea. I was just stating that you can't rely solely on delta.com for all KE flights as it'll miss quite a few if you are going to smaller cities in Asia.
Old Nov 15, 13, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by michael_v View Post
DL.com does show KE award availability. It seems it does not show availability for partners where a long sell is necessary and/or calculation of YQ.
I can't ever seem to get KE award availability to show up even for TPAC flights. So alaskaair.com is a good place to check?
Old Nov 15, 13, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by mojo2121 View Post
I can't ever seem to get KE award availability to show up even for TPAC flights. So alaskaair.com is a good place to check?
I would say it is worth a try, but I have not personally verified that what alaska shows, Delta can book on KE.
Old Nov 16, 13, 10:58 pm

.dumb is pretty worthless for KE award availability, at least for ICN-ATL
Old Nov 18, 13, 12:03 am

Originally Posted by mapotofu View Post
.dumb is pretty worthless for KE award availability, at least for ICN-ATL
What do you use instead to search? I am having a devil of a time trying to find any type of award availability for two people from the US to Asia using SM (looking to fly into PEK and out of either ICN or NRT) - hoping to travel mid April, or May but then I would have to work around blackout dates or avoid KE. Everything I look at on delta.dumb is 240k round trip, even 330 days out!

Last edited by mojo2121; Nov 18, 13 at 1:02 am
Old Nov 18, 13, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by mojo2121 View Post
What do you use instead to search? I am having a devil of a time trying to find any type of award availability for two people from the US to Asia using SM (looking to fly into PEK and out of either ICN or NRT) - hoping to travel mid April, or May but then I would have to work around blackout dates or avoid KE. Everything I look at on delta.dumb is 240k round trip, even 330 days out!
For April-May, I would say your best bet is to book one traveler on the DL SEA-PEK flight (which I saw has good availability in business, 1 seat), and another traveler on LAX-CAN-PEK China Southern. Use alaskaair.com to search domestic availability between your home town and SEA/LAX. Use airfrance.us to search LAX-CAN and CAN-PEK. China Southern can only be booked over the phone. Try to book some crazy domestic routing (remember, 4 segments is the limit each way on a DL award ticket) with short layovers on the China Shouthern ticket and hope for a schedule change when you can ask DL to put you on the SEA-PEK flight so that you can travel together. DL flights can be booked online using the multi-segment search, most of the time. Good luck!
Old Nov 18, 13, 10:07 pm

Trying to book CZ REP-CAN-LAX, flights are O1X8 and O1X2. EF sees it. AirFrance sees it. Delta does not .... requested a long sell from 4 different agents and came back unconfirmed. Anybody have advice? I feel like this isn't an agent issue given I had 2 pretty competent-sounding agents who couldn't find anything.

FWIW I'm trying to book Business (O) but the rep isn't seeing Economy (X) either. The problem flight is CAN-LAX (the major one).
Old Nov 19, 13, 12:02 am
aau

Programs: AA Plat, UA MM *G, HHonors Silver, Marriott Rewards Gold, IC Ambassador
I'm getting ready to book my very first award using SkyMiles. I'm looking to book a coach award from Sao Paulo to Iguazu Falls for 20,000 miles. This would be a booking for travel within a week. I am a no-status nobody on Delta. I have an ExpertFlyer basic membership and I think I've found availability on Gol and AR. The outbound routing would be GRU-AEP-IGR, first leg on Gol and second on AR. Inbound would be IGU-GRU, or IGU-GIG-GRU, on Gol. Is this a valid routing pricing out at 20,000 miles? If so, what kind of fees should I expect to pay? I know about the $25 phone booking fee. Are there YQ or close-in booking fees? TIA.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: