Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using SkyMiles on SkyTeam & Other Partners Master Thread

Using SkyMiles on SkyTeam & Other Partners Master Thread

Old Jan 20, 15, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
[QUOTE=RealHJ;24203978
It's been like that for a few years, with escalation to properly reprice mispricing tickets (e.g. often DL + AS mix additive pricing when it shouldn't be so, for example, back in 2012-2014 I mean) getting more and more difficult and more and more restricted to who can do it w/in DL. It seems that now, while still possible, there are fewer than ever agents empowered to do so. Would that be an accurate statement here?[/QUOTE]

Yes, possibly to an extreme. I've batted .000 on getting an agent to reprice this year, and unless I've missed it, haven't seen any other success reports on FT. Previously I was usually able to get it done with 2 or 3 HUCAs max.
Old Jan 20, 15, 9:02 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
My last successful reprice was last year (April or so) when I booked our family trip to Serbia. I was able to piece together segment by segment J on the outbound via BRU and a stopover in FCO, and a Y return with a sub-24hr overnight in YYZ. Multi-city search constructed everything properly and gave the correct price of 92,500 pp, but when I attempted purchase, it crapped out.

I called in and the agent came up with some other crazy price (can't remember now, something like 135k), which I disputed saying online I got 92,500 and each segment was available in low. She concurred, but it took quite a bit of back-and-forth with the international re-issue and being on hold before she got it ticketed.

Do we have any track record post-1/1/15 of someone ticketing a partial itinerary online, then calling in to add a positioning or final segment and accomplishing it successfully without a reprice?
Old Jan 21, 15, 6:35 am

Programs: *S (TK), Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold
Wanted to share my experience booking a DL award for the first time. In a sentence, even more hell-ish than dealing with US Airways, which I didn't think was possible...

It was a one-way TATL partner award from IND-CDG. I knew I wanted to try VS Upper Class out of JFK, so looked for it first. Found it. Then look for IND-JFK. Check. LHR-CDG, check. Found the entire itinerary on DL.com in 5 minutes. Pretty good.

IND-JFK, DL Y
JFK-LHR, VS J
LHR-CDG, AF J

The two layovers were about 3 hours each. This is about as simple an trans-oceanic itin as I've ever constructed. Plugging this into the multi-city search on DL.com found nothing - not this or any of the tens of other options for the origin and destination that the regular search yields. OK, so multi-city search is worthless, let's talk to a human.

I told the first agent the origin and the destination, and the first segment. She came back with an option to the destination on DL. I said no, the one I found is on VS. She said she sees nothing on VS at all, only DL metal, and that she can only work with whatever her system returns. I ask if it's possible to search each segment separately. Nope. She wasn't particularly helpful so I decided to HUCA. Gave her a 1 on the survey.

The second agent, I could tell by her 3-second greeting that she was a good one. Started out the same, "I don't see it". I asked her a few questions to make sure she really had no alternative way to pull it up, and when that was evident, I offered to book the VS segment online and have her add the other 2. She agreed to wait on the phone while I did that (thank you). Done, over to her. Wait... her system is coughing up because it can't tell the if the fare class of VS J (G) is award or upgrade (really?). Great. She decides to call up the international reissue desk (ding ding, magic words here) to sort it out. On hold for 10 minutes with some truly awful hold music that keeps fading in and out (making you wonder every second if it was the agent coming back. Nope, just the broken music). She finally comes back full of excitement with a big ole "it's your lucky day!" to which I wanted to say "do you know how sad it is to even think that, when we're dealing with something this straight forward?" But she was trying to be helpful by any standard, so I played along. So int'l reissue desk did it right. Her explanation was they were on an old system while hers was new. Whatever. I ask for the partner PNRs. She says "oh it's the same as the DL one." It sounded too good to be true, and it was. For the time being I thanked her for her patience in getting this booked.

So it took 2 calls and 1hr to do something that normally takes AA 10 minutes. It could have easily been worse had I not encountered the most helpful agent on call #2. The one good thing is the ticket seems to have been ticketed on the spot. Maybe this is only a product of the int'l reissue desk. AA always has a delay of tens of hours to days because all AAdvantage bookings are reviewed by their rate desk manually before issuing.

Lessons learned (re-iterating I'm sure): International reissue desk is the key. Front line agents are helpless; they can only go by what their (broken) system returns. In general, be prepared to pull your hair out, and just make sure they can't hear your silent curses."

Last edited by italdesign; Jan 21, 15 at 6:42 am
Old Jan 21, 15, 10:51 am

You can get the VS PNR by looking-up your reservation on VS.com via your DL ticket number.
Old Jan 21, 15, 11:01 am

Programs: DL DM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime GE), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by italdesign View Post
Wanted to share my experience booking a DL award for the first time. In a sentence, even more hell-ish than dealing with US Airways, which I didn't think was possible...
Can you put in your ticket number on saudiairlines.com and share with us the fare calculation section? And by which *RES was it ticketed? IXXRES? IRRRES? HIBRES? JAJRES? SLCRES? Or..?

That would be helpful information here for others, to know who can do this, and is it still normal fare calculation or something different. (For example, even nearly two years after 012/NWA was completely gone, I had some agents price a ticket as WP (WorldPerks) vs. SM (SkyMiles) on 006 stock manually - much to my surprise. I wonder if now this manual pricing, as is needed to get it to price properly, are still the normal pricing how it was, or now something different.)
Old Jan 21, 15, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by michael_v View Post
You can get the VS PNR by looking-up your reservation on VS.com via your DL ticket number.
and luckily, @DeltaAssist is awesome.
Old Jan 21, 15, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by RealHJ View Post
Can you put in your ticket number on saudiairlines.com and share with us the fare calculation section?
It says: IND DL X/NYC VS X/LON AF PAR0.00CSM625/FFO21 NUC0.00END ROE1.00

Is that helpful?

And by which *RES was it ticketed? IXXRES? IRRRES? HIBRES? JAJRES? SLCRES? Or..?
I'm not sure where to look.

That would be helpful information here for others, to know who can do this, and is it still normal fare calculation or something different. (For example, even nearly two years after 012/NWA was completely gone, I had some agents price a ticket as WP (WorldPerks) vs. SM (SkyMiles) on 006 stock manually - much to my surprise. I wonder if now this manual pricing, as is needed to get it to price properly, are still the normal pricing how it was, or now something different.)
If it helps, my ticket # starts with 006.
Old Jan 21, 15, 12:17 pm

On the ticketing email confirmation, look for this section:

Award Flight Receipt
Ticket #: 006XXXXXX
Place of Issue: XXXRES
Old Jan 21, 15, 12:44 pm

Programs: DL DM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime GE), National Emerald Executive
It says: IND DL X/NYC VS X/LON AF PAR0.00CSM625/FFO21 NUC0.00END ROE1.00

Is that helpful?
Yes, so that is still the same normal pricing method and it is priced here as throughfare at 62.5K SM. So, it is still possible, there isn't some otherworldly magic involved here in how you could get this done, while no one else has reported a success thus far. This is welcome news for all: it is still doable, to fix mispricing tickets. However, either DL has much further limited as to who is empowered to do so, or it has strongly directed its agents not to fix mispricing in the new buggy res. system, or possibly and even more likely, both. Either way, clearly the misspricing and additive pricing when it shouldn't be so (unless (until?) DL goes to a segment-by-segment all additive pricing scheme) is intentional by DL, and it sure explains why the fare calculation was removed from ticket receipts and online receipts recently: a blatant attempt to cover-up its mispricing by DL, but as always, DL has way underestimated the intelligence of its pax (well, at least the ones on FT ).

On your e-mail ticket/receipt it should say:
Place of Issue: ***RES
(*** will be the location or group who issued it, such as IXX, IRR, HIB, SLC, JAJ, CVG, DFW, etc.)

It is right under the ticket number.
Old Jan 21, 15, 12:55 pm

IRRRES. And that is?

I guess how they manually fixed mine could be extrapolated to manual fixes in general, though in my case it was for an itin found on DL.com that front line agents just can't find in their system. So it wasn't that they mispriced it, they couldn't even find it!
Old Jan 21, 15, 2:03 pm

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
IRRRES. And that is?

I guess how they manually fixed mine could be extrapolated to manual fixes in general, though in my case it was for an itin found on DL.com that front line agents just can't find in their system. So it wasn't that they mispriced it, they couldn't even find it!
Global Ticketing Support(GTS)/IRRRES is international rates and reissues, a support department within Delta that handle Res/Airport Agent Support, back-up international reissues and much more.
Old Jan 21, 15, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by Grouchy View Post
Global Ticketing Support(GTS)/IRRRES is international rates and reissues, a support department within Delta that handle Res/Airport Agent Support, back-up international reissues and much more.
It's good to know that IRRRES still has the ability to fix such routing and/or mispricing issues and piece together valid routing itineraries and manually price it correctly.

Would you happen to know what is IXXRES? (The other empowered group who can right such wrongs, from my past experiences.)
Old Jan 21, 15, 3:40 pm

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
IIRC IXXRES handles VIP & Corp Accounts (Elite sales stationed @ SLC) and on occasion take reissue & regular reservation calls.
Old Jan 21, 15, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by RealHJ View Post
It's good to know that IRRRES still has the ability to fix such routing and/or mispricing issues and piece together valid routing itineraries and manually price it correctly.
Good to know, but temper it with my experience. I got to IRRRES three separate times and had a similar story where they were able to find/construct itineraries that the frontline agents could not. However, they could/would not adjust pricing from whatever the system spat out at them. One agent sounded like he was genuinely frustrated and trying to make it work, but just could not.

So, it may be that IRRRES can be useful in piecing together itins that don't show in a standard O/D search, but once found, they may not be able to override erroneous pricing.
Old Jan 21, 15, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by gooselee View Post
Good to know, but temper it with my experience. I got to IRRRES three separate times and had a similar story where they were able to find/construct itineraries that the frontline agents could not. However, they could/would not adjust pricing from whatever the system spat out at them. One agent sounded like he was genuinely frustrated and trying to make it work, but just could not.

So, it may be that IRRRES can be useful in piecing together itins that don't show in a standard O/D search, but once found, they may not be able to override erroneous pricing.
I may be wrong, but from what I've read here and from what I've been told (post-Jan 1), there are at least two, if not three or more, parallel res systems w/in DL. In the older system(s) (DeltaMatic?) manual pricing can be still done (and/or it automatically still prices how it used to until not long ago), but, it would appear, perhaps not so in the new Polaris "now dumber than ever (TM)" res system, where it's what the computer says or no way.

So, it may help to have the res agent from the start put the PNR together in the older system, as it seems they still have to with other airline flights that do not show up online/in Polaris. (If so, then hope that no more other airlines are added to online search/Polaris, as along with that may come the horrendous married segment PLUS additive pricing of Polaris.)

Just a guess..

Search this Thread
Search Engine: