Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using SkyMiles on SkyTeam & Other Partners Master Thread

Using SkyMiles on SkyTeam & Other Partners Master Thread

Old Dec 27, 14, 12:31 am

Programs: AA, SPG, UR
Urgent help please. I am unable to find anything coming back from ZAG to LAX or even the east coast around June 18th. On outbound I found avl from BOS to AMS at 60K level for 4 on DL.com for June 3 and I see aval every day of week to ZAG a week later, but if someone can look and tell me how I get back to US. I have used EF, DL and KLM web site all day today but not understanding all the different classes (codes). Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted by michael_v View Post
Check delta.com, KLM availability is shown there, search each segment individually, by schedule. If dl.com sees it, agents can book it. Generally speaking, classic awards on AF/KLM are available to redeem with DL miles.
Old Dec 27, 14, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by FT-hss View Post
Urgent help please. I am unable to find anything coming back from ZAG to LAX or even the east coast around June 18th. On outbound I found avl from BOS to AMS at 60K level for 4 on DL.com for June 3 and I see aval every day of week to ZAG a week later, but if someone can look and tell me how I get back to US. I have used EF, DL and KLM web site all day today but not understanding all the different classes (codes). Thanks in advance.
PM sent.
Old Dec 31, 14, 1:09 am

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
If anyone can help it would be great cause the stopover is going away tomorrow. I am trying to book a trip with the following itn:

CAN-PRG-CDG-CAN for 140k miles in Business but the agent told me the pricing comes out as 195k miles as a multi-city itn (140k + 45k) rather than a round trip. She said the only way that this itn would work with 140k would be to drop the PRG-CDG leg and make it CAN-PRG / CDG-CAN while I have to figure out the middle segment myself.

I am trying to work on the following dates:

29APR CAN-PRG
04MAY PRG-CDG
10MAY CDG-CAN

My original search was:

29APR CAN-SVO-PRG SU/SU
04MAY PRG-CDG either AF or OK
10MAY CDG-CAN CZ

The itn that the agent had available was:

29APR CAN-AMS-PRG CZ/KL
04MAY PRG-AMS-CDG KL/KL
10MAY CDG-CAN CZ

Available as requested

Also, I actually looked on AF award inventory for direct flights but I was unable to convince the agent that it's there... such as from PRG-CDG there's direct flights available in AF award on AF/OZ in the afternoon, but the agent only sees 1 seat for AF in the evenings... Is there anything I can do to see if the agent can find those flights? ...or they are only available for Flying Blue members?

On Delta's website it says...

Originally Posted by Delta
A stopover is allowed, provided there are no more than two connections between the origin and destination including any connections that are made while traveling to/from the stopover point. The stopover city must be located on a valid routing.
I am not sure if I am understanding this correctly... Does this mean if I can find a direct flight with no stopovers from PRG-CAN then I can do PRG-CDG and CDG-CAN and treat CDG as a connection as there's no more than two connections?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by coolfish1103; Dec 31, 14 at 1:25 am
Old Dec 31, 14, 1:48 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, AA GLD, former DL DM
Originally Posted by coolfish1103 View Post
My original search was:

29APR CAN-SVO-PRG SU/SU
04MAY PRG-CDG either AF or OK
10MAY CDG-CAN CZ

The itn that the agent had available was:

29APR CAN-AMS-PRG CZ/KL
04MAY PRG-AMS-CDG KL/KL
10MAY CDG-CAN CZ

Available as requested
I suspect this is pricing out as CAN-AMS-CDG-CAN 140k (roundtrip) + AMS-PRG-AMS 45k (nested roundtrip). If you can get the direct flight from PRG to CDG such that you transit AMS only once, I believe that should fix the pricing issue.

Originally Posted by coolfish1103 View Post
from PRG-CDG there's direct flights available in AF award on AF/OZ in the afternoon, but the agent only sees 1 seat for AF in the evenings... Is there anything I can do to see if the agent can find those flights? ...or they are only available for Flying Blue members?
Looking on EF at the AF-operated flights on May 4, 2015, I see only O1 availability on the 8:35pm departure. So for the AF-operated flights, EF does match what the DL agent saw, and that direct flight is bookable using DL miles.

As for the OK-operated flights, I don't have experience with those and am not sure whether they are bookable as AF awards (despite O availability). If you have not already, I would ask the agent to try booking the flight as an OK award (OK Z class) as opposed to an AF codeshare award (AF O class).

Good luck and please report back.

Also, will ask mods to move these posts to the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...on-thread.html thread.
Old Dec 31, 14, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Originally Posted by lamont2718 View Post
I suspect this is pricing out as CAN-AMS-CDG-CAN 140k (roundtrip) + AMS-PRG-AMS 45k (nested roundtrip). If you can get the direct flight from PRG to CDG such that you transit AMS only once, I believe that should fix the pricing issue.
I tried to work with another Delta agent and what she told me is that the PRG-CDG leg is being priced separately. She was unable to get it to price as a stopover.

Looking on EF at the AF-operated flights on May 4, 2015, I see only O1 availability on the 8:35pm departure. So for the AF-operated flights, EF does match what the DL agent saw, and that direct flight is bookable using DL miles.

As for the OK-operated flights, I don't have experience with those and am not sure whether they are bookable as AF awards (despite O availability). If you have not already, I would ask the agent to try booking the flight as an OK award (OK Z class) as opposed to an AF codeshare award (AF O class).

Good luck and please report back.
She did find the OK flight at the end after like 20 minutes of going back and forth but the problem was not solved because Delta's system fail to recognize the PRG-CDG flight as part of the itn, instead it is trying to price the leg as a round trip flight (which is why it's trying to charge me 45-50k).

I ended up listening to my friend by dropping the stopover and did an open jaw instead and moved the flight to HKG for better Business product. The end result was:

HKG-LHR VS
LHR-AMS-PRG KL/KL
CDG-LHR AF
LHR-HKG VS

...and lamont2718, thank you for your help.
Old Dec 31, 14, 3:23 pm

Too bad DL couldn't book your initial itinerary, but glad it worked out in the end.
Old Jan 1, 15, 4:42 pm

CZ and MU can now be booked online and fuel surcharges still apply.

Last edited by michael_v; Jan 2, 15 at 8:14 am
Old Jan 2, 15, 10:45 am

Programs: DL-DM, AA-G, SPG-G, UA-S
So seems that Delta is now unable to do point to point changes with partners. I booked BOM-LHR-EWR all on VS - LHR to JFK came up on VS and i called to changed. Because BOM-LHR is not available with a new seat they cant change the lhr-jfk flight. So basically the full new itinery needs to be availble when ,aking changes. So riduculous. Makes itnreally hard to book. For ,e its a huge downgrade. Oh you miht say it was always the rule, but i book 4 award tix a year and never had ts happen
Old Jan 2, 15, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Plat, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by michael_v View Post
CZ and MU can now be booked online and fuel surcharges still apply.
I'm looking into the threads and the changes with DL SM booking re partners in 2015, I'll update the sticky accordingly shortly.

Too bad DL couldn't book your initial itinerary, but glad it worked out in the end.
Reminder to keep please questions on specific itins and bookings to the discussion thread.
Old Jan 2, 15, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Plat, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
With the changes to DL.com since Jan 1, I'm monitoring closely the changes to how we can book partners on DL.com.

Few things I'm finding:

1. I'm seeing the following partners online: AS, AF, KE, VS, AZ
2. DL award engine still bombing, I'm getting errors about "sorry, all awards have been sold out for that date" or "sorry there was a problem processing your request"
3. CZ and MU flights are not coming up for me. I'm going to guess that many calls are still going to have to be made.
4. Most important, it appears that partner awards are no longer just at low. I found a RT LAX-PVG on KE alone that is coming in at 110K, should be 70K on low.

The other big change is that it appears DL is allowing partners to be booked at higher award levels. More flexibility perhaps but a HUGE devaluation in my mind as in the past if you could find it on a partner it could be guaranteed to be in low. I wonder if DL is skimming the top?

Please post any changes to partner booking ability here, and post award level info in this thread.
Old Jan 2, 15, 10:46 pm

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by mnredfox View Post
With the changes to DL.com since Jan 1, I'm monitoring closely the changes to how we can book partners on DL.com.

Few things I'm finding:

1. I'm seeing the following partners online: AS, AF, KE, VS, AZ
2. DL award engine still bombing, I'm getting errors about "sorry, all awards have been sold out for that date" or "sorry there was a problem processing your request"
3. CZ and MU flights are not coming up for me. I'm going to guess that many calls are still going to have to be made.
4. Most important, it appears that partner awards are no longer just at low. I found a RT LAX-PVG on KE alone that is coming in at 110K, should be 70K on low.

The other big change is that it appears DL is allowing partners to be booked at higher award levels. More flexibility perhaps but a HUGE devaluation in my mind as in the past if you could find it on a partner it could be guaranteed to be in low. I wonder if DL is skimming the top?

Please post any changes to partner booking ability here, and post award level info in this thread.
Any solutions for #2?

I just tried booking some AF flights and am getting that error. Called in and the phone agent said she could price the ticket but was unable to sell it?
Old Jan 2, 15, 11:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVP Gold, DL PM, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott / SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Does KE have tiered awards that were previously unbookable using DL SM? If so, would those be the higher tiered inventory?
Old Jan 3, 15, 1:51 am

What award class(es) was this booking into? I'm guessing not simply X? I searched around but wasn't able to find any similar partner awards pricing at "Level 2" (aka NL/OL) or higher.

More flexibility perhaps but a HUGE devaluation in my mind as in the past if you could find it on a partner it could be guaranteed to be in low. I wonder if DL is skimming the top?
Huge improvement IMHO if it means greater access to partner award inventory that was previously unavailable for DL award redemption. I would much rather be able to book a flight using more miles than not have award access to the flight at all.
Old Jan 3, 15, 7:29 am

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by gooselee View Post
Any solutions for #2?

I just tried booking some AF flights and am getting that error. Called in and the phone agent said she could price the ticket but was unable to sell it?
Answering my own question - just keep trying until it lets you. I was able to book the ticket online no more than 15 minutes after hanging up with the PM desk, but it took about four tries to get it to work.

I then promptly called DL back and switched my JFK-CDG to the new AF J.

First time using miles far in advance for my own vacation, and therefore first time making full use of the PM redeposit fee waiver, as there are still some intraeurope flights I need to fiddle with as they become available. I now fully understand how valuable it is!
Old Jan 4, 15, 9:42 am

Programs: DL DM 1.6 MM; Marriott/SPG LTPlat; HH Gold
Has anyone tried or been successful upgrading with miles on AF? Thanks.

On Air France Operated Flights
From Select Economy Fare** to Premium Voyageur
20,000 miles

**Applies to specific fare classes. Available only on Air France operated Transatlantic Joint Venture flights between U.S. and CDG with Premium Economy cabin, except for 747 aircraft equipped flights. Upgrade request has to be done 24 hours before the departure. Please check with a Delta reservations representative for details.

Last edited by JBJ2435; Jan 4, 15 at 9:43 am Reason: Removed txt not applicable

Search this Thread