Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using SkyMiles on SkyTeam & Other Partners: The Discussion Thread

Using SkyMiles on SkyTeam & Other Partners: The Discussion Thread

Old Nov 17, 2012, 2:44 pm

Found more

Originally Posted by mnredfox
My experience is TATL flights seem most available from BOS, JFK, MSP, DTW, ATL in that order. Like I said, check AF/KL flights from IAD, ORD etc as well.
OK, found MEM-ORD 6/4 on DL
and
ORD-FCO 6/4 on AZ

but the return is troublesome.

I can fly BCN-XXX on the 16th, and stayover in that Euro city the night of the 16th, and fly the TATL, on to MEM on 6/17th if I could find..

Almost there
Old Nov 17, 2012, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
I wouldn't worry about BCN-EU hub right now, figure out your EU hub-US city

eg:

KL:
AMS-BOS/NYC/IAD/MIA/ATL/IAH/DFW/CHI/MSP/DTW etc

AF:
CDG-same

AZ
FCO-same

Then work back.

Since you are looking at peak EU season, Monday the 17th may yield better results.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
http://beta.awardtravelr.com

Seems to be working for KL awards.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 7:41 am

Think I found a complete trip, called, said no

This is what I found

I pieced it together on ITA for 1514.00 and all the legs on DL or FB on LOW

MEM-ORD DL 6/4
ORD-FCO AZ 6/4

BCN-CDG AF 6/16
CDG-IAH AF 6/17
IAH-MEM DL 6/17

ALL in LOW

I called Delta, and he said "he couldn't even see the AZ flight". I looked on EF and it shows 2, is it quite possible those 2 are for FB members only.

Is there something wrong with this itin???
Old Nov 18, 2012, 8:41 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
You have to ask them to do a long sell to get the AZ seat. Any AZ seat that shows on the FlyingBlue engine should be available to SkyMiles, as AZ's program is separate from FlyingBlue. An alternative way to using the technical jargon "long sell" would be to ask them to request the seat from AZ. It seems that the best time to do this is during business hours in Rome, as even though it's all done through computer systems, there have been times where long sells to AZ over the weekend or at night in Europe have languished, causing DL agents to think the seat isn't there.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 9:27 am

OK,

Originally Posted by mtkeller
You have to ask them to do a long sell to get the AZ seat. Any AZ seat that shows on the FlyingBlue engine should be available to SkyMiles, as AZ's program is separate from FlyingBlue. An alternative way to using the technical jargon "long sell" would be to ask them to request the seat from AZ. It seems that the best time to do this is during business hours in Rome, as even though it's all done through computer systems, there have been times where long sells to AZ over the weekend or at night in Europe have languished, causing DL agents to think the seat isn't there.

I knew I was supposed to ask for them to "long sell", which I did. That is when he said he couldn't even see them at all to do that.

I will call early tomorrow 5-6 am and hopefully they are all still there. And do it during Rome's time.

Stupid question....Can I purchase the other ticket (the one I am paying for) thru DL as well at the same time? Do they have easier access to the AF and AZ flights for purchase (not having to long sell) as opposed to it being so difficult for an award ticket.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by stan1162
I knew I was supposed to ask for them to "long sell", which I did. That is when he said he couldn't even see them at all to do that.

I will call early tomorrow 5-6 am and hopefully they are all still there. And do it during Rome's time.

Can I purchase the other ticket (the one I am paying for) thru DL as well at the same time? Do they have easier access to the AF and AZ flights for purchase?
They should be able to ticket any DL/AF/KL/AZ combo for you without too much trouble. It's probably good to have them put it all together at the same time so that in case the inventory for one or the other disappears before it's in your reservation, you don't get stuck with tickets on different routings.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stan1162

Stupid question....Can I purchase the other ticket (the one I am paying for) thru DL as well at the same time? Do they have easier access to the AF and AZ flights for purchase (not having to long sell) as opposed to it being so difficult for an award ticket.
"Can't find the flight" is code words for improperly trained agent.

DL's search system is horrible, so often DL agents will need to manually search. Give agent routing, flight number, etc. Sometimes you will need to coach them to manually search by departure times.

If they still can't find it, call back and find another agent. Then as mtkeller says, ask for a long sell.

I'd do this quick so your inventory doesn't disappear.

Sorry you're running into the frustrations of booking DL award travel, but sadly this is how it is. I spent nearly 15 hours to piece together and on the phone with DL agents to make my 120K J Asia trip work.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 6:48 am

Programs: DL Diamond
Not sure if this is the right place for this, but I didn't want to start a new thread.

I have a flight from Rome to London tomorrow, booked through Alitalia. I'm a Delta GM with the Platinum Amex. How many pieces of luggage am I entitled to? More than 1 (hopefully)?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:43 pm

OP here....

Yet to find THE agent willing/and able to book this... Surprisingly, I have energy left to keep going.

DL should be embarrassed that what seems like a simple procedure (booking the ticket) is sooo hard.

I don't mind doing all the leg work, finding the low mile legs, but they could at least make it easy to book if I have done all the work for them.

Well, off to the phone.

Will update.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by HarryLime
Not sure if this is the right place for this, but I didn't want to start a new thread.

I have a flight from Rome to London tomorrow, booked through Alitalia. I'm a Delta GM with the Platinum Amex. How many pieces of luggage am I entitled to? More than 1 (hopefully)?
ST E+ get one more bag than the standard allowance for the trip, but no extra weight if in economy. Thus, GM/PM/DM in Y on TATL should get two free bags.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Just a suggestion. There is a thread in the US airways forum about Star bookings similar to what we are seeing here. I was wondering if the recent posts could be moved into another thread similar to that US thread and this thread be used to make updates to partner detail?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by UA Fan
Just a suggestion. There is a thread in the US airways forum about Star bookings similar to what we are seeing here. I was wondering if the recent posts could be moved into another thread similar to that US thread and this thread be used to make updates to partner detail?
That's what I'd been advocating. I think this thread is probably developed enough that the mods could make it a sticky and start a clinic thread. Then the two threads can refer to each other and this thread (or at least the first part of it) can be kept up-to-date with a clear indication that you shouldn't ask questions in this thread (unless of the form "Is the info about XYZ in post #123 still accurate?"). Mods (and mnredfox), what say you?

(The US thread isn't the best comparison, as that's one thread with people yelling "Did you read the rest of the thread?" most of the time. They could do with a sticky with only details and no discussion, as then it would be easy to tell people to go read a 15-post thread.)
Old Nov 19, 2012, 7:27 pm
sk3
Suspended

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by HarryLime

OT, but thought I should bring these two FYIs to your attention - since you're flying out of FCO tomorrow. First, from our Italy forum: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/italy...y-picture.html

And the second issue regards the Rome-FCO rail lines, also mentioned in the last post of that thread above. The latest news is that there'll be 10 to 15 minutes added to the ride, but that the lines are back in service. This is the most recent tweet from Roma Mobilita. And from my twitter account, here it is translated.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UA Fan
Originally Posted by mtkeller
That's what I'd been advocating. I think this thread is probably developed enough that the mods could make it a sticky and start a clinic thread. Then the two threads can refer to each other and this thread (or at least the first part of it) can be kept up-to-date with a clear indication that you shouldn't ask questions in this thread (unless of the form "Is the info about XYZ in post #123 still accurate?"). Mods (and mnredfox), what say you?

(The US thread isn't the best comparison, as that's one thread with people yelling "Did you read the rest of the thread?" most of the time. They could do with a sticky with only details and no discussion, as then it would be easy to tell people to go read a 15-post thread.)
Is this the thread you're referring too?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...ad-merged.html

If so, I want to make sure I understand, you advocate making this thread a sticky and having content be related to the first few posts only (how to book with partners), and then having a separate thread like "Help me book my partner award" right?

If so, I'm all aboard. Mods, thoughts?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.