Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using SkyMiles on SkyTeam & Other Partners: The Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using SkyMiles on SkyTeam & Other Partners: The Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2014, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL FO/1MM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by mnredfox
While nice to have it back, let's not forget getting something back that was foolishly taken away from us in the first place really isn't cause for celebration.
I'm sure I'll be labeled an apologist for this, but is it possible this KE outage was a result of the recent KE technology switchover? On my DL-ticketed KE flights that occurred just days after the changeover, KE did not even have a reservation for me when we checked in. They sorted it out in the end, but I think a couple week outage after a major system upgrade is reasonable. Now, could they have provided a notice about this? Of course, but we know how good DL is about giving advanced notice regarding Skymiles changes.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 1:08 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by jjglaze77
I think a couple week outage after a major system upgrade is reasonable.
So you think that for a few weeks after a res. systems upgrade, the company should be making no revenue? How can it stay in business then? (Or should it just outright ground its planes for a few weeks after "a major system upgrade," if it happens to be something that is related to the daily operations that was so "upgraded.")

In most businesses 100% uptime is required, or at least 99.99%. For each extra 9 you typically double the spend. No significant outage is acceptable for any system upgrade or update or any maintenance work (if there is any outage, then it can't be possibly called an upgrade, can it?). At most a few hours limited functionality interruption may be acceptable, but nothing past a few hours at most, as the business can't grind to a halt and not be bringing in revenues, while losing customers and business to its competitors. What is so lost can be hard if not impossible to gain back.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 6:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire, National Exec Elite, Hilton Gold
Australia/New Zealand/Tahiti before it's too late

Given all the upcoming "enhancements" it's now or never for us to take the big trip I've been saving most of my SkyMiles towards for years. We're looking to spend about a month across the left pond next summer.

Everything int'l is in business, domestic to/from LAX is in coach. I've confirmed fare class availability with EF, had as much fun as I could handle with the DL award calendar, checked MPM and routing rules... basically, I've done all the prep I can.

Still... figured I'd float this out there before I call DL tomorrow. If you see any gotchas that I've missed, please speak up!

------------------------

Flight.....From...To....Price (Miles)..Class..Seats

DL1933.....CVG....LAX...100,000........N......2
VA8........LAX....BNE...160,000........Z......2
VA795......BNE....CNS...160,000........Z......2
[open jaw]
TN102......AKL....PPT...160,000........I......2
[stopover]
TN8........PPT....LAX...160,000........I......2
DL1936.....LAX....CVG...100,000........N......2
Old Nov 23, 2014, 8:13 pm

Looks good to me. You may have to hang up and call again a few times, so be prepared and polite.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by michael_v
Looks good to me. You may have to hang up and call again a few times, so be prepared and polite.
Yep, I plan on setting aside a few hours. It's always a treat. Thanks!
Old Nov 24, 2014, 4:48 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by stdatwmu
Yep, I plan on setting aside a few hours. It's always a treat. Thanks!
As a rule of thumb, expect it to take as long on the phone to book your flights as long as your actual flying time will be. So is typically (give or take an hour or two) my experience, even before this massive reservations system downgrade and dumbing down. Now it may very well take longer than your actual flying time.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 10:13 am

Cross-posting this from the DL award ticket thread...

Originally Posted by stdatwmu
It took way too much time, but I booked our major trip (for which I've been saving my SkyPesos for many years) across the Pacific in Business (Z/I) next Jul/Aug this evening:

LAX-BNE-CNS (VA A330 / VA 737)
[open jaw]
AKL-PPT (TN A340)
[stopover]
PPT-LAX (TN A340)

160,000 miles and $375.90 in taxes/fees each.

We really wanted to include flights to/from home but there was no low availability, even in coach, for valid connections. So we'll figure that out later. Worst case - they're only a few hundred bucks.

In case anyone's trying to do something similar (before it's too late on 1/1/15!) be prepared to do your homework. I spent weeks going through timetables, checking TN/AF award seat availability on EF, and coming up with dates that worked. Then it took two long (1.5 hours / 45 minutes) phone calls with DL. They had to contact the IMR (Int'l Manual Reissue) desk to force pricing, as the computers automatically price at the new 2015 rates. Even then, it wouldn't ticket, and the agent had to call two different people in Global Ticketing before they manually forced the pricing and confirmed our itinerary. And I know I had a much better experience than some.

But... it's booked. And we'll be crossing the Pacific in lie-flats next summer!
Old Dec 26, 2014, 8:19 am

I have some orphan SkyPesos and was looking into using them intraVietnam on VN. Am I forced to use Air France's website to check availability? I am not even getting that it is a valid flight on Delta.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by largeeyes
I have some orphan SkyPesos and was looking into using them intraVietnam on VN. Am I forced to use Air France's website to check availability? I am not even getting that it is a valid flight on Delta.
Yes that is correct, check on airfrance.us and then call DL to book.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 5:30 am

Originally Posted by RealHJ
Yes that is correct, check on airfrance.us and then call DL to book.
I notice the award chart is 12,500 intravietnam, based on round trip. I only need a one way...is this possible?
Old Dec 28, 2014, 8:10 am

I notice the award chart is 12,500 intravietnam, based on round trip. I only need a one way...is this possible?
Yes, wait until 1/1/2015.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Wish they would come up with something similar for Australia and Indonesia (currently 30K and 22.5K).
Old Jan 19, 2015, 3:30 pm

My free stopover last hurrah

Bagged the following about 6 months ago, for travel end of April:
JFK-MXP, VCE-AMS, AMS-JFL in J class for 125,000 miles each ( 2 tickets)

JFK-MXP on AZ, VCE-AMS on KL, and ( here's the best part) AMS-JFK, routed via LHR, so AMS-LHR on KL, and LHR-JFK on VS, so all of the Upper Class good stuff! Not one seat on DL metal.

I had to search each leg separately, then called Skymiles and told them my routing. The only fly in the ointment was a very short turnaround on the return. AMS-LHR was, until last night, AMS-CDG-LHR with a 1.5 hour layover in CDG, which I knew from past experience was cuttin' it close, tres dangereux. There was a direct flight but the unhelpful agent I had on the line did not want to give it- since there were only 2 VS award seats available in J and they seemed to be going fast, I took the risk. Then , like magic, I saw last night that the CDG-LHR leg had a TIME change: Can you say "free rebook, please?", and they did, giving me the coveted direct AMS-LHR. Turns out I actually GOT 5 more minutes on the tight connection, but hey, the rules allowed the free change and I had no compunction about giving it a try. And to top it off, by eliminating the CDG landing I got back $39.60 in taxes to boot.

It just takes patience and doing the agents' work for them, searching out the routings. I found all of the legs the AZ and VS legs on the old delta.com search engine.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by takelson
Bagged the following about 6 months ago, for travel end of April:
JFK-MXP, VCE-AMS, AMS-JFL in J class for 125,000 miles each ( 2 tickets)

JFK-MXP on AZ, VCE-AMS on KL, and ( here's the best part) AMS-JFK, routed via LHR, so AMS-LHR on KL, and LHR-JFK on VS, so all of the Upper Class good stuff! Not one seat on DL metal.

I had to search each leg separately, then called Skymiles and told them my routing. The only fly in the ointment was a very short turnaround on the return. AMS-LHR was, until last night, AMS-CDG-LHR with a 1.5 hour layover in CDG, which I knew from past experience was cuttin' it close, tres dangereux. There was a direct flight but the unhelpful agent I had on the line did not want to give it- since there were only 2 VS award seats available in J and they seemed to be going fast, I took the risk. Then , like magic, I saw last night that the CDG-LHR leg had a TIME change: Can you say "free rebook, please?", and they did, giving me the coveted direct AMS-LHR. Turns out I actually GOT 5 more minutes on the tight connection, but hey, the rules allowed the free change and I had no compunction about giving it a try. And to top it off, by eliminating the CDG landing I got back $39.60 in taxes to boot.

It just takes patience and doing the agents' work for them, searching out the routings. I found all of the legs the AZ and VS legs on the old delta.com search engine.
^

I miss the ability to compile my own itinerary out of the low-level legs. The new award pricing "logic" is atrocious.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by akcae
^

I miss the ability to compile my own itinerary out of the low-level legs. The new award pricing "logic" is atrocious.
Well, with all the changes and addition of partners I thought it would make booking partner awards easier. It appears to get them at low the work is only increasing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.